Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that would depend on the player and how they view the scenario, you can't force players to not want to go home, as has been said earlier, an extra 100k when you're on big $ already ain't gonna sway a players want to go home.

So each Geelong player would be perfectly happy at Geelong if you lobbed 10% off their contracts? Would none of them consider leaving for more money?

I'm interested, what changes would you like to see to equalise the comp?
  • I'd like to see the GF played at the home ground of the team that earns it, but that's not always practical
  • I'd like to see every team play each other twice, but that's not practical
  • I'd like to see the drafting / recruiting evened up, but that's not always practical
  • I'd like to see a more even comp, but that's not practical
  • I'd like to see travel evened up, but that's not achievable
  • I'd like for money / market not be the driving factor of the inequities, but that's not gonna happen
  • I'd like to see every state and territory have even population to even up the market, but that's not gonna happen
  • I'd like to see more father / son for non vic clubs, but that'll take a while
  • I'd like for vic players to not want to go home, but that's not gonna happen

So each Geelong player would be perfectly happy at Geelong if you lobbed 10% off their contracts? Would none of them consider leaving for more money?
By and large the overwhelming bulk of players, play for premierships, quite often players take a pay cut to go to contending clubs for that chance.

By and large the overwhelming bulk of players, play for premierships, quite often players take a pay cut to go to contending clubs for that chance.

Would they be willing to take an even larger pay cut though.

I am just making up numbers here but say Adelaide offered Dangerfield $900,000 per season to stay with them, and Geelong at the time could only offer him $750,000 per season. Now $150,000 is a fair amount, but I could understand Dangerfield deciding that it was not enough to decide to stay with Adalaide.

However, what if along with the $900,000 Adelaide got to offer Dangerfield an out of state loyalty bonus on top of that, so now Dangerfield's salary offer is $990,000. It would be a lot harder for Dangerfield to go back to Geelong knowing he would be earning $240,000 less per season, or at the very least a much harder call to make.

• I'd like to see the GF played at the home ground of the team that earns it, but that's not always practical
  • I'd like to see every team play each other twice, but that's not practical
  • I'd like to see the drafting / recruiting evened up, but that's not always practical
  • I'd like to see a more even comp, but that's not practical
  • I'd like to see travel evened up, but that's not achievable
  • I'd like for money / market not be the driving factor of the inequities, but that's not gonna happen
  • I'd like to see every state and territory have even population to even up the market, but that's not gonna happen
  • I'd like to see more father / son for non vic clubs, but that'll take a while
  • I'd like for vic players to not want to go home, but that's not gonna happen
Thanks for the reply. 👍do you think if ALL the clubs asked for it your points could be achieved?
I guess it begs the question of why these things would be difficult to achieve.
What is the stumbling block?

Would they be willing to take an even larger pay cut though.

I am just making up numbers here but say Adelaide offered Dangerfield $900,000 per season to stay with them, and Geelong at the time could only offer him $750,000 per season. Now $150,000 is a fair amount, but I could understand Dangerfield deciding that it was not enough to decide to stay with Adalaide.

However, what if along with the $900,000 Adelaide got to offer Dangerfield an out of state loyalty bonus on top of that, so now Dangerfield's salary offer is $990,000. It would be a lot harder for Dangerfield to go back to Geelong knowing he would be earning $240,000 less per season, or at the very least a much harder call to make.
Well you'd have to read his mind on that one, remember Danger is a Geelong local (Moggs creek) and if I am correct that was his driving factor, not money.

Or make it easier for clubs to retain players they have drafted from other states.
Brisbane nearly won the flag last year on the back of players they poached: Neale, Cameron, Dunkley, Daniher. 4 of their 5 most important players. Are they even top 8 without them?

The go home theory for Vic advantage is dramatically overrated.

And it's inevitable that it becomes a disadvantage. The percentage of Vic teams will remain at over 50% and the percentage of Vic players will drop below it. Then you'll also have more and more guns looking to get out of the Vic media bubble. The Northern clubs will do what Geelong have done and turn their location into a big advantage - which was a strange concept 20 years ago.

WA has the go home advantage for poaching as the percentage of wa clubs is well below the percentage of wa players in the afl and with only 2 clubs and less poaching competition they'll get them cheaper than the Melbourne clubs do. Their isolation though does mean they'll continue to lose more than average as well

Thanks for the reply. 👍do you think if ALL the clubs asked for it your points could be achieved?
I guess it begs the question of why these things would be difficult to achieve.
What is the stumbling block?
No I don't because the league is driven by the market, the largest market, more than half of it is in vic

Also not so much a thing to even up the disparity between Victorian and non-Victorian clubs but I would love to see salaries of each player made public.

The reason for this is lets say player A is in a top team. He is on $450,000 a year, less than he is worth but he took a smaller contract to stay with the top team. However, then other players salaries are made public and player A sees that player B is on $700,000 a year, and player A thinks "hang on a second, I am better than player B and yet I am on $250,000 a year less than him" and it would make player A a bit more likely to start thinking about moving clubs where he can earn more money. It is one thing to know in theory you are on less money than players who are as good or worse than you, but that is theoretical, guess work, but it is another to see in plain writing that you are on a lot less than players who you consider yourself better than.

WA has the go home advantage for poaching as the percentage of wa clubs is well below the percentage of wa players in the afl and with only 2 clubs and less poaching competition they'll get them cheaper than the Melbourne clubs do. Their isolation though does mean they'll continue to lose more than average as well

Cheaper?

Tim Kelly and Luke Jackson would suggest otherwise 🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheaper?

Tim Kelly and Luke Jackson would suggest otherwise 🤷‍♂️
A lot better players than Hopper for example. Look at the rumoured contract he got.

Guys like Yeo if he was heading back to vic there would have been a fair bit of bidding. Would the most desirable location got him without having to stump up a larger contract?

Last edited:
Does the current arrangement advantage the Victorian teams? Yes
A few of them sure.

But teams like North, StK and the Dogs play just as few games at the G as WC.
Does it ensure more fans from outside Victoria get to watch a grand final in their lifetimes? No
Having a GF at a venue that holds 100k people ensures the most fans get a chan e to watch a GF live if their team makes it.

It is a much better option than rotating. If you rotate and it could be the GABBA's turn the next time WC make it. So less than 10k SC members get a ticket, and even further to travel!!

What a win for the club members that is.

Brisbane nearly won the flag last year on the back of players they poached: Neale, Cameron, Dunkley, Daniher. 4 of their 5 most important players. Are they even top 8 without them?
Those players probably went there for a chance at a flag.
The go home theory for Vic advantage is dramatically overrated.
I don't think it is.
The percentage of Vic teams will remain at over 50% and the percentage of Vic players will drop below it.
Do you have evidence of this?
Then you'll also have more and more guns looking to get out of the Vic media bubble.
Probably an exception to the rule.

Always staggers me how interested Collingwood fans are of the AFL making money and never ever looking at making things better or fairer.
??
Staggers me how fans of WA and SA supporters continue to ignore explanations of why things are the way they are.

The equalisation principles actually holds clubs like Collingwood back.

But I like the fact that the AFL is not like the EPL. If a club gets its shit together it can have success.

Why do you Collingwood fans care so much about the AFL income?
The entire reason why there is a finals series and GF is to create more income for the league.

If you want fairness, you have a H&A season where each team plays each other home and away, and the team that is top of the ladder is the premier.

The VFL introduced finals to bring in more money. The clubs liked it, because the revenue was distributed among all clubs. The games were staged at the largest venue, to maximise gate takins. The fans liked it because they got to see more games.

The GF has always been about money and bums on seats.

Rotating the GF is a moronic idea that is the perfect example of cut off your nose to spite your face - stick it up those nasty victorian based club members by disadvantaging ALL club members. What a great idea!!

I don't care about the AFL's finances of having a grand final in another state. I care about the tradition and what it means. Playing at the g to win a gf is about as good as it gets in Australian sport. Playing a grand final anywhere else cheapens that.
I believe Melbourne's grand final will always have an asterisk alongside their win, and I bet it would have meant more to the players if it had been played at the g. They wouldn't admit it. But that's what winning a grand final is about.

Never take the grand final away from the MCG imho.
It is the atmosphere that is the key factor.

100k+ in the full stadium, it just isnt the same as 40k at the SCG or 20k at Metricon.

But sure if you want to completely change it up, and turn it into a home team only crowd, then go the play it at the higher ranked teams ground option and it is 90% home team supporters and it becomes just another game.

Ah gotcha.

I'm not sure bidding is such a thing anymore. Players nominate a preferred club and the two clubs then thrash it out.
I'm talking contracts more than trade. Before they nominate, the player manager shops him round and then takes offers back to the player. If a bloke wants to go home - he then chooses a club out of those interested with salary, likelihood of success, suitablity for his role all big factors. Whilst the Kangaroos might not often win the bid, they'll offer a bloody large contract that bids up the salary.

??
Staggers me how fans of WA and SA supporters continue to ignore explanations of why things are the way they are.

The equalisation principles actually holds clubs like Collingwood back.

But I like the fact that the AFL is not like the EPL. If a club gets its s**t together it can have success.

The entire reason why there is a finals series and GF is to create more income for the league.

If you want fairness, you have a H&A season where each team plays each other home and away, and the team that is top of the ladder is the premier.

The VFL introduced finals to bring in more money. The clubs liked it, because the revenue was distributed among all clubs. The games were staged at the largest venue, to maximise gate takins. The fans liked it because they got to see more games.

The GF has always been about money and bums on seats.

Rotating the GF is a moronic idea that is the perfect example of cut off your nose to spite your face - stick it up those nasty victorian based club members by disadvantaging ALL club members. What a great idea!!

Holds Collingwood back, surely you jest.

[
Holds Collingwood back, surely you jest.
Nope.

If AFL didnt impose equalisation policies, football department spending caps, player salary caps etc.

It just becomes an arms race and $$ rule.

Clubs like Collingwood and West Coast would be much stronger and the snaller clubs like North and Port would not be able to compete.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back