Football Related Random Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Continued in Part 2

Voss said similar at the time too. Conversely, when the Lions' staff talk about Fagan I notice the general remark is on sharing responsibility.
Bit older and more comfortable in his skin. Also has come from managing others in senior roles. The kids we have will seem pretty tame after having to deal with Clarkson

Voss said similar at the time too. Conversely, when the Lions' staff talk about Fagan I notice the general remark is on sharing responsibility.
Players taking control of their own destiny.
That is how they will weed out the good from the bad. The committed to the, there for the ride.
It would be there for all to see which ones are there to succeed and which ones are not.
Great initiative by Fagan, and as Jason pm said in another thread, the coaching and list management staff would already 99% know which of the guys will be here next year and which will not.

Some rare riveting stuff on SEN this morning, Justin Leppitsch was on and was asked the question what did he learn from his head coach role at the Lions if he gets another go.

1) I was too though on the young guys.
2) Know when to shut up and when to talk.
3) Take the stress out of the game, let them play with a sense of fun.
4) Don't try to control everything.

Also not out and out admitted it but he knew he lost the playing group was the vibe I got, players not engaging in discussions, not doing extras at training just their general demeanor.
Good on Leppa for owning up to his mistakes. Must be tough when you're in the public eye like he is. Glad he has moved on.

True. Im hindsight it seems Voss/Leppa (legends)may have been a bit like the first time supervisors and managers who overcompensate and feel like that now they run things they must know answers to everything and know more than anyone when in reality the best leaders use the assets of those around them to compliment their own talents, which builds a team full of confidence and of contribution, which seems to be the current environment.

Yeah but did you read the part that you have to be dead to be part of the study, so any recent changes made can't be evaluated due to players still being alive

Also that families have to donate a players brain to science & are more likely to do so if there were signs of them acting crazy - therefore more likely to only look at positive matches

But then also the part that if every single other player who has died but was not included in the study were free from CTE (which no-one would accept as possible), then the incidence rate would still be 9%, which is dramatically higher than the general population.

Last edited:
Channel 7 play little respect to their football shows playing them in Brisbane at midnight. Is there anything that can be done?

The Front Bar: Shown in Victoria and South Australia now at 8.30 pm on a Thursday. Shown in Brisbane at midnight!
Shows on 7Mate after 8.30 am: 3 episodes of The Big Bang Theory, ScreenPLAY, Rude Tube and World's Craziest Fools.

Talking Footy: Shown in Victoria at 7.30 pm on a Monday and midnight in Brisbane.

But then also the part that if every single other player who has died but was not included in the study were free from CTE (which no-one would accept as possible), then the incidence rate would still be 9%, which is dramatically higher than the general population.
Yeah, but they have made a lot of changes reluctant as they were initially. They used to bang heads 100 times at training, now they basically have no contact apart from games.

You would like to think the rate would be drastically reduced in recent players but no real way to test them. Unless they try to do some study on some degined indicators such as mental health / violence history but that will only be estimative

On a side note - concussion is a great movie

Channel 7 play little respect to their football shows playing them in Brisbane at midnight. Is there anything that can be done?

The Front Bar: Shown in Victoria and South Australia now at 8.30 pm on a Thursday. Shown in Brisbane at midnight!
Shows on 7Mate after 8.30 am: 3 episodes of The Big Bang Theory, ScreenPLAY, Rude Tube and World's Craziest Fools.

Talking Footy: Shown in Victoria at 7.30 pm on a Monday and midnight in Brisbane.

What about 72? I refuse to believe with 2 affiliates they can't play it earlier. Browny has been a pleasure to watch on Front Bar tonight. Ridiculous that Queensland footy fans are so neglected.

The flaw that has cost Lions 69 goals
BRISBANE Lions fans settling in for the final five games of the season should be in no rush to make the first bounce. And supporters thinking of taking a toilet break or spreading jam on a sandwich, wait until the end of quarters.

Chances are, if you miss out on the opening and final minutes of quarters you are missing out on a massacre.Answering a Twitter question from Lions fan Andrew, #TheDrill podcast uncovered some troubling scoreboard numbers at the Gabba.

In the first five minutes of quarters and in red time this season, the Lions have been outscored by a disastrous 418 points. The next worst in those periods, Fremantle, has been outscored by 159 points.

Between the 5-20-minute marks, the Lions are ranked 16th — but far more competitive. In those 15-minute blocks they are down 143 points, more than 45 goals better off than the start and end of quarters. When the young Lions played Port Adelaide in Round 13, they lost by 40 points and were outscored by 41 points in red time alone — 8.5 (53) to 2.0 (12).

I knew we were bad in the first and last five minutes of each quarters (red time has been a major issue for years now), but far out, the bolded makes for horrific reading, particularly in comparison between us and the second worst team, a discrepancy of 239 points. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It's actually a reassuring stat for me. If we were just getting consistently outplayed over the entire course of matches I'd be more worried.

Going to sleep at the start of quarters and then fading in red time seem like more fixable issues. The latter largely by improving the fitness of the group over coming pre-seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leppa and voss have both had unhappy coaching tenures with the lions.

They both have sons.

I wonder what the fathers and sons feel about the father son priority picks now.

Casey Voss was at the lions earlier this year, so I think he is still in the frame. Comes down to whether they are good enough.

Bradshaw's boy looks like a beast

Leppa and voss have both had unhappy coaching tenures with the lions.

They both have sons.

I wonder what the fathers and sons feel about the father son priority picks now.

Certain Vossey still loves the place and would love his son to play for the club. Nothing but a hunch but not too sure about Leppa.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Went back through some old Match Day threads. Some amazing memories and interesting reading in there. 2011 vs Fremantle thread is a devastating read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back