Political Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's years away and you know it.

Is your name Jay or Tom??

The reason I ask is you're in the same league with spin and selling dreams.

In the meantime exorbitant energy prices for SA consumers and business into the foreseeable future .

And btw that "inane" website is run by the Renewable Energy Industry which you're obviously not aware of.

You say it's happening overseas which is correct just as it's happening here but it's the time-line that's the kicker....And one thing is certain every last lump of coal on this planet will be burnt whether it's here or elsewhere in the world. See below the International Energy Agency's report November 2017

ppL2JT.png

There you go making it political again.

You have to start somewhere, sometime. As an analogy, take AFLX for example it starts with what we've seen, it can be tinkered with without ruining the original game, and perhaps it might end up being something that can be taken to the world. But you start with something.

But back to reality, instead of sitting behind a desk and looking at graphs, charts and producing items that suit your political argument, I base my decisions on what I've seen and heard world wide live. I have been fortunate enough to travel extensively around the planet in the past several years working at something I love and during this time I've noticed, read and heard a great expanse in the installation of mainly wind turbines and lesser solar farms especially in the northern hemisphere. This even accounting for their large hail and snow storms that stop energy production. But they are going ahead with it.

Even in China, in the last 2 years they are installing one wind turbine windmill every half hour, because they now realise that they cannot keep burning coal without it's ramifications of killer smog.

If this country doesn't start utilising this energy source without becoming tied down with political morons, we will be left in the dark ages, for ages.

Yes it might be expensive during it's initial setting up, but after some research, I firmly believe that selling your main infrastructure to another country might be a bigger problem financially and security wise.

14:30
State Election Winner
Markets (1)

Labor 2.25
South Australia Best Party 2.55
Liberals 2.85

Has the Barnaby and Malcolm show put people off or is it the lack of local leadership?
I wouldn't have thought the federal issues would be a major factor.

Imo, no one really has a great feel for what may happen in the state election, with plenty of possibilities... so the market is really swinging wildly.

The renewables things is so new that there are many discoveries to come....like this one....touting that for grid stabilisation, you only need 1/10th the capacity in a battery as in inertial generators to do the job. So our 100MW battery can stabilise equal to 1000MW of conventional generation.

https://johnmenadue.com/giles-parki...sil-fuels-and-regulators-in-state-of-interia/

I think you might be accused of promoting a journalist who only talks about green, clean energy by someone we all know well.

Having said that and although I don't believe everything that is written, this piece might interest them.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/german-energy-giant-innogy-buys-two-huge-australia-solar-projects-23649/

"Innogy is not just any old energy firm. It is 75 per cent owned by Germany’s RWE, one of Europe’s biggest energy utilities, and boasts annual revenues of more than $A70 billion.

The company’s “old assets” such a coal and nuclear generation were left behind in RWE, while Innogy holds the so-called “future” energy businesses – renewables, network and retail businesses – that will focus on a “modern, decarbonised, decentralised and digital energy world.”

Last edited:
I don't mind Bernardi, tends to speak a fair bit of common sense. But I absolutely don't want strong religious types running anything. Abbott was as bad as the Rudd/Gillard debacle. Anybody with a strong belief in the almighty will form strong beliefs on nearly anything. Lack of ability to change one's mind after careful consideration is dangerous in a leader. I don't like belief type people.
Abbott was far, far, worse than Rudd & Gillard. And that's saying a lot, because I rate Rudd as the 2nd worst PM of my lifetime. KRudd set a very low benchmark, and Abbott sailed under it like a dinghy going under the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Since Howard, I rate them 1. Gillard, 2. Turnbull, 3. KRudd, 4. Daylight. 5. More Daylight, 6. Even more Daylight, 7. Abbott. Turnbull isn't far ahead of KRudd, and could well end up behind him by the time he finally leaves power.

I wouldn't have thought the federal issues would be a major factor.

Imo, no one really has a great feel for what may happen in the state election, with plenty of possibilities... so the market is really swinging wildly.
Agreed. The addition of a 3rd party with significant support, who wasn't a factor in the previous election, has added a lot of uncertainty. Anthony Green's computer election models have shown time & time again that they just don't cope with major changes like this, and nobody else does it any better than him. What hope then do the betting companies have of getting it right?

I'm not in SA (obviously), but my money would be on a minority government of one variety or the other. I just can't see any party getting an outright majority in its own right this time around.

Abbott was far, far, worse than Rudd & Gillard. And that's saying a lot, because I rate Rudd as the 2nd worst PM of my lifetime. KRudd set a very low benchmark, and Abbott sailed under it like a dinghy going under the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

Since Howard, I rate them 1. Gillard, 2. Turnbull, 3. KRudd, 4. Daylight. 5. More Daylight, 6. Even more Daylight, 7. Abbott. Turnbull isn't far ahead of KRudd, and could well end up behind him by the time he finally leaves power.

Howard was credited with being a very good PM however he was very fortunate three major events happened, to which he acted upon, that saved him.

Those being Port Arthur and his gun control legislation, Tampa situation which was used by him like the Donald in the US using situations to suit him, and East Timor. I rate two of those as being his best. But not much else.

He didn't have much of an opposition back then. Poor old Kym Beasley couldn't express himself until his parting speech, which was one of the best speeches I've heard.

Howard was credited with being a very good PM however he was very fortunate three major events happened, to which he acted upon, that saved him.

Those being Port Arthur and his gun control legislation, Tampa situation which was used by him like the Donald in the US using situations to suit him, and East Timor. I rate two of those as being his best. But not much else.

He didn't have much of an opposition back then. Poor old Kym Beasley couldn't express himself until his parting speech, which was one of the best speeches I've heard.
As I said... since Howard.

I'm too young to have any relevant memories of McMahon, Whitlam & Fraser, so I don't include them in my ratings. I rate them Hawke, Howard, Keating, Gillard, <daylight>, Turnbull, Krudd, <daylight>, <more daylight>, <even more daylight>, Abbott. Abbott is quite possibly the worst PM in Australia's entire history.

Whitlam introduced a lot of great reforms, which changed Australia for the better and made it what it is today. On the other hand, he was an economic nightmare. Very hard to make a judgement call on him, with so much that is very good, and so much that is very bad.

I rarely agreed with Howard on anything, but the gun control law alone is enough to rate him as one of our better PMs.

I agree re Rudd.

But think in hindsight Turnball will have a better legacy.

I think Gillard was undone by a mixutre of poor communication and internal bickering (Rudd).

Howard was the best of my generation
, not because i particularly liked his policies but he was excellent at selling his message.

Bernardi and Abbott s**t me to tears.

Some light hearted observations from the sea of cornflute that's gone out:

- Labor's strategy of (generally) not putting the electorate on their posters has seen Jo Chapley able to recycle her old Dunstan posters for her current run at Adelaide
- The Liberals seem to have more posters for their lead MLC candidate Jing Lee (rhymes with an alter ego of Eric Cartman :D ) then their lower house candidates
- Rachel Sanderson could've completed the look on her pic with a pointy hat and broomstick, she hasn't aged well in 2 terms :D
- Some confusion from the Libs over who's in which electorate, with one stogie pole on Main North Rd having both a Liberal candidate for Adelaide and Enfield poster on it :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some light hearted observations from the sea of cornflute that's gone out:

- Labor's strategy of (generally) not putting the electorate on their posters has seen Jo Chapley able to recycle her old Dunstan posters for her current run at Adelaide
- The Liberals seem to have more posters for their lead MLC candidate Jing Lee (rhymes with an alter ego of Eric Cartman :D ) then their lower house candidates
- Rachel Sanderson could've completed the look on her pic with a pointy hat and broomstick, she hasn't aged well in 2 terms :D
- Some confusion from the Libs over who's in which electorate, with one stogie pole on Main North Rd having both a Liberal candidate for Adelaide and Enfield poster on it :D

Going home Friday night, i saw a bloke on Goodwood Rd with his two young kids (less than 10) putting up corflutes for David Pisoni. He was wearing a high-vis safety vest, his kids were not.

From this i deduce that the Liberals are hoping to bring back child labor, with no regard to their safety - i assume primary school lessons will include why coal mining is so much fun when your body is small

Going home Friday night, i saw a bloke on Goodwood Rd with his two young kids (less than 10) putting up corflutes for David Pisoni. He was wearing a high-vis safety vest, his kids were not.

From this i deduce that the Liberals are hoping to bring back child labor, with no regard to their safety - i assume primary school lessons will include why coal mining is so much fun when your body is small

Wasn’t that Workchoices :D

Interesting that Mark Aldridge is running under the title of ‘SA’s Best’ in Ramsay despite actually running as an independent. Appears he’s going for the ‘hope people mistake me for SA Best’ to get a few hundred more votes.

I agree re Rudd.

But think in hindsight Turnball will have a better legacy.

I think Gillard was undone by a mixutre of poor communication and internal bickering (Rudd).

Howard was the best of my generation
, not because i particularly liked his policies but he was excellent at selling his message.

Bernardi and Abbott s**t me to tears.

Gillard could have been good but she screwed herself early reneging on a core promise when she needed the Greens to hold onto power. Dead in the water from that moment.

As I said... since Howard.

I'm too young to have any relevant memories of McMahon, Whitlam & Fraser, so I don't include them in my ratings. I rate them Hawke, Howard, Keating, Gillard, <daylight>, Turnbull, Krudd, <daylight>, <more daylight>, <even more daylight>, Abbott. Abbott is quite possibly the worst PM in Australia's entire history.

Whitlam introduced a lot of great reforms, which changed Australia for the better and made it what it is today. On the other hand, he was an economic nightmare. Very hard to make a judgement call on him, with so much that is very good, and so much that is very bad.

I rarely agreed with Howard on anything, but the gun control law alone is enough to rate him as one of our better PMs.

Unfortunately I can't say anything about age, because I think I'd give GreyCrow a run for his money in that regard.

I grew up living under the Menzies era, and then worked in the Federal sphere under Holt, Gorton & McMahon. It wasn't hard to work out the words Liberal and conservative were oxy morons. Because of one their policies I still hate the coalition so I'm a bit blind in that regard.

Out those Gorton was clearly the best, and not because he held the door open for me during one of my visits to Black Jack McEwen's office either. He was the Country Party leader at that time.

When Gough got in, unfortunately due to the fact that Labor was in the wilderness for so long, he and the party tried to do too much too quickly.

Again the hatred continued when Fraser wanted to block the supply bill therefore using my wages as a tool to get elected.
Having said that, as a PM he was fairly good. But you could tell when Hawke took over from Hayden just before the election, the one they thought they had in the bag, but Hawke won, there was still an air of entitlement that the coalition believed that they were born to rule. You just had to see Fraser crack up after the results were in.

Hawke was a powerful leader and would have continued, but power corrupts as they say, and Keating just had the want and hunger to toss him. (as well as the numbers). Again if he had his wits about him, he wouldn't have let Howard anywhere near the Lodge, but he took his eye off the ball and Lazarus returned to lead, again too long IMO.

Just an abridged version, but there are 8 million stories in the naked city and this has been one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back