Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

My uncle is a Carlton supporter but in the MCC.

Always went to Hawthorn games to watch Hodge, said he never saw a player go as hard as him (he's in his 60's). You can hear his hits when he bangs into a pack.

Absolute beast of a player and in 1925 when we announce our 100 year vfl/afl team he is a good chance to be captain.
My father in law ( now 70+) played on the gravel oval at Queenstown Tas in its hey day. Some hard men played on that ground back then. Hodge is still his fav opp player.

Agree with you Arupist - I've probably been around as long as you.

Hodge is probably no 1 for toughness (and the number 1 captain) but he's got 6 decades of competition for toughness. Obvious names like Scott, Matthews, Dipper but other lesser names like Ian Bremner, Ian Mort and, pound for pound, 2 little fellas - Ian Law and David Parkin. Perhaps you file Law and Parkin under "courage" more than sheer toughness.

It woulds be an interesting exercise to rate the 10 toughest Hawthorn players from 1 to 10..
Gee I tell you what, trying to condense the toughest players to pull on a Hawks jumper to only 10 is an almost unfair and disrespectful thing to do to those that miss the rating. Maybe better to pick the top 10 from 20 year eras - 1960-1980, 1980-2000, 2000-present. My 2 bobs worth...

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gee I tell you what, trying to condense the toughest players to pull on a Hawks jumper to only 10 is an almost unfair and disrespectful thing to do to those that miss the rating. Maybe better to pick the top 10 from 20 year eras - 1960-1980, 1980-2000, 2000-present. My 2 bobs worth...

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

You’re right Tewantin
There are a whole host of players who aren’t necessarily renown for their toughness but who were just as tough as the celebrated players. But it would still be an interesting exercise to rate the ten toughest in the same way we rate the best.

For example, in my view, Peter Schwab was just as tough and courageous as Dipper.

You really need the opinion of the players themselves (who know far more about what goes on on the field) rather than people like us who were on the other side of the fence.

if dimma goes to the middle who plays on the smalls down back - more importantly do we have anyone with dimmas attributes we can play down there?
Popeye is the obvious one, but at reasonable cost...

Cuz? Probs not, but I've not really seen him play - just know that he had that good shut-down game against that scum midfielder.

Agree with you Arupist - I've probably been around as long as you.

Hodge is probably no 1 for toughness (and the number 1 captain) but he's got 6 decades of competition for toughness. Obvious names like Scott, Matthews, Dipper but other lesser names like Ian Bremner, Ian Mort and, pound for pound, 2 little fellas - Ian Law and David Parkin. Perhaps you file Law and Parkin under "courage" more than sheer toughness.

It woulds be an interesting exercise to rate the 10 toughest Hawthorn players from 1 to 10..

Ayres right near the top...

FWIW
The TAC Cup club's talent manager, Len Villani, (says) "The knock on Hardwick back then centred on his aerobic ability, but Villani now envisions a future midfield role for him."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-03/selfproclaimed-ferrari-hardwick-scores-latest-rising-star

I'm sure Axeman and Co will tell us if Dimma spends time with the midfield group.
Gavin Wanganeen did “OK” = killed it.. in the middle after playing in the back pocket.
Pretty sure Gary Ayrers played well when he was put in the middle (Norm Smith like results).

Consider: Moore in the back pocket ... while Hardwick is in the middle ... for just 1 play...

The negative on Dimma as a mid is is lungs. So give him impact time.

Many here say leave Hardwick in the back pocket. He does well there so let him be.
Blake was the best forward in the TAC, has become the best backman at Hawthorn (see the Crimmins medal) and I think capable of being a change mid.

Last edited:
Probably worthy of its own thread this discussion of our best or greatest tough players, though I feel some definition of tough would be needed as tough to one person could have a different meaning to another.
Tough could be seen as courage to some, such as a player like Platten who would be at bottom of just about every pack and would have suffered some form of concussion every other week having been targeted by the opposition hitman regularly but never feared going back in and under.

Tough could be seen by some as the player that put the fear of meeting your maker into the opposition camp through mainly being a little loose and not necessarily a skilful player, Des Dixon back in the day.

Tough in many ways is also a state of mind, think of the player that that hardly trains during the week just to be ready for the weekend, not being 100% but still giving his all, said players are held in such high regard by the playing group for their commitment due to being able to play injured, reset and go again.

Is tough being able to dish it out, take it or risk it? Is tough physical, mental or an intangible thing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My father in law ( now 70+) played on the gravel oval at Queenstown Tas in its hey day. Some hard men played on that ground back then. Hodge is still his fav opp player.
I was born in Queenstown and you are right.

I still have scars 30 years later from the footy ground.

What a lot of people don’t realise is how many great AFL players were born in Queenstown.

Ian Stewart, Grant Birchall (I played against his old man) Darren Creswell.

What a load of balonney

Baloney.

Des Dickson for Bumps N Grins.

Daryn Cresswell ?

Ian Mort and Sted Hay up there with the Hawks toughest.

Saw Mort clean up the entire center quagmire at Glenferrie one Saturday. Just charged through anyone who was stupid enough to get in his way,leaving the ball in his wake for one of our rovers to scoot in and grab.

Let's get back to OP :)

Last edited:
I think the point was, Worpel has a long way to go to talked about as a Burgoyne or Selwood calibre player.

Hes done very well so far.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Or perhaps the poster values Selwood and his AA awards a little too much.

Worpel is nothing like Selwood: I wouldn't want Worpel to be a whiner.

Probably worthy of its own thread this discussion of our best or greatest tough players, though I feel some definition of tough would be needed as tough to one person could have a different meaning to another.
Tough could be seen as courage to some, such as a player like Platten who would be at bottom of just about every pack and would have suffered some form of concussion every other week having been targeted by the opposition hitman regularly but never feared going back in and under.

Tough could be seen by some as the player that put the fear of meeting your maker into the opposition camp through mainly being a little loose and not necessarily a skilful player, Des Dixon back in the day.

Tough in many ways is also a state of mind, think of the player that that hardly trains during the week just to be ready for the weekend, not being 100% but still giving his all, said players are held in such high regard by the playing group for their commitment due to being able to play injured, reset and go again.

Is tough being able to dish it out, take it or risk it? Is tough physical, mental or an intangible thing?

Tough -
as in brutal
as in scaring the bejesus out of opponents
as in causing physical damage to opponents regardless of risk of return fire
as in Hodge, Matthews, Brereton, Scott, Dipper, Ian Mort, Des Dickson, Norm Bussell

What a lot of people don’t realise is how many great AFL players were born in Queenstown.

I took my brother in law there (visiting from QLD) for a look at the oval last year. He thought I was full of it until we went and had a kick to kick on it.

Tough -
as in brutal
as in Hodge, Matthews, Brereton, Scott, Dipper, Ian Mort, Des Dickson, Norm Bussell

Mort and Bussell were before my time but everyone else on your list I agree with. I would however add Ayers to your list as he had the BIGGEST calves I've ever seen on a human being. Seriously though you only have to look at some of the behemoths he had to tangle with week in week out and you just know you had be tough to hold your own.

I played there in rep sides years ago and it certainty taught you not to go to ground unnecessarily!

Tough -
as in brutal

That's a great list: I would only add Gary Ayres to be complete.

Good shout too on Normie Bussell - used to love his attack on the opposition!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back