Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Geelong > 30 pts

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It's very embarrassing to sit through. When I heard it last night, I called curtains and alas 15 seconds later Parfitt slammed home an equaliser. Why can't the rest of the supporters take a hint?

I think it's awesome, the chant, and I love it when Geelong supporters do the same but it is better with 3 syllable names (Coll-ing-wood, Ess-en-don etc) but geez the Pies fans need to learn to time it properly.

"He's fanned it to the left. He's fanned it to the right".
Brayshaw.
Leave us alone you unlettered pleb.

This was the midfield touted as Collingwoods trump card of 2019. All summer I've heard Grundy + Beams, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, De Goey, etc. rotating through and their first chance of 2019 to beat a good side and actually win for there side they were left wanting.

Not disrespecting the Cats whose midfield is also great, but this wasn't how the story was predicted to start.
It's round 1 dude, relax.

It’s just such a beautiful thing when Collingwood fans do that chant like last night and then end up losing, just like the 2nd quarter of the 2011 Grand Final then they got done! Coooooollllllliiiinnnnngwoooood!

As an Eagles fan Im a bit concerned getting Kelly could be a Des Headland factor.

Gets home and doesn't put in the same effort.

Happy to get him if we dont give up too much but wont lose any sleep if he stays a cat or goes to Freo.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lol, sure you wont.

If he keeps up last nights form you'll pay through the teeth for him.

I think all you can take from this game is that predictions of Geelongs demise have been greatly overestimated.

The Pies showed why they are rated at times but finished poorly. They lost the first two rounds last year, all is far from lost. A big club with good reason for optimism they were always going to be overhyped. This reality check likely has an upside I think.
Geelong are a good average side who'll fold during finals, neither team played well tonight but Collingwood should've been 5 goals up come qtr time, i've never been one to worry about early season form, especially when you're competitive, i'll be happy if we're 3-3 come round 6.

Geelong are a good average side who'll fold during finals, neither team played well tonight but Collingwood should've been 5 goals up come qtr time, i've never been one to worry about early season form, especially when you're competitive, i'll be happy if we're 3-3 come round 6.
It comes across as sour grapes when you denigrate a team that just beat you. To me the Cats did show they have talent coming through to support their established stars. Where that goes over the season remains to be seen.

It was poor even by round 1 standards. Last night’s game was superior on that front which I don’t think many would have predicted.
How much rain was there prior to the Thursday night game?

Last few had actually been rather high-scoring so IDK. It's looked a lot worse than I remember for what is typical of R1.
Yep early rounds are always the highest scoring. I’ve hypothesised that it’s due to defences still getting their eye in so forwards get easy marks, but really I have nfi why.
I was fully expecting this round to be high scoring and everyone would be praising the stupid rules before wondering why it dropped through the middle. Now we’re starting from what was average so I expect a drop in average scores in 2019!

It's interesting not being in Victoria. Without ridiculous media hype it's hard to see how this is a huge disappointment for Collingwood. It's just one ok but not amazing team beating another slightly better on paper team. People need to stop rating teams based on how hard the media pumps up their tyres.

Collingwood in 2018 were a true 'bolter': people expected them to finish mid-table at best (many thought bottom 6-8), yet they made the GF and came within a kick of winning.

The narrative in 2019 was always going to be "Was this the beginning of something real for Collingwood? Or was it all just a bit of a freak situation, with the Pies coming back to the pack?"

Every win and loss is going to be seen/spun through that narrative.

Dont know about pies being 5 goals up - Geelong burned chances too - but agree with your summation on Cats. Our finals record is poor and not convinced yet that will be any different this season.
Collingwood in 2018 were a true 'bolter': people expected them to finish mid-table at best (many thought bottom 6-8), yet they made the GF and came within a kick of winning.

The narrative in 2019 was always going to be "Was this the beginning of something real for Collingwood? Or was it all just a bit of a freak situation, with the Pies coming back to the pack?"

They are a good even side Collingwood. Expect them to win a fair number of games this year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are a good even side Collingwood. Expect them to win a fair number of games this year

I think they are also a good side but the term "even" does not gel with me. They have an army of mid fielders equal or better than anyone else but when it comes to key position players, they fall well short of many of their competitors. eg Richmond and West Coast, especially up forward. Cox is a bit hit or miss and has yet to string together any sort of real consistency to measure him up against the games premier big forwards.

I think they are also a good side but the term "even" does not gel with me. They have an army of mid fielders equal or better than anyone else but when it comes to key position players, they fall well short of many of their competitors. eg Richmond and West Coast, especially up forward. Cox is a bit hit or miss and has yet to string together any sort of real consistency to measure him up against the games premier big forwards.
Ben Reid's a player that must be frustrating for Pies fans. Can play both ends really well but cursed by injury.

Not that I think he is/or will be, better than most of those wantaways from GC/GWS, but I think the fact that he is 24 or so, and has the skill level, the game sense and the physicality that he does, makes him more top 7/8 minimum.

Ie. josh Kelly from two years ago - yeah he was already a very good player but he was kind of being shopped around on the promise that he will become a better one. But in those situations nothing is guaranteed.
Whereas Tim Kelly is already that player. You KNOW when you get him that it’s no gamble - he’s already arrived. (Obviously Josh Kelly is an out and out star - just pointing out that when he was being chased it was more on what he could become rather than what he was).

I don’t disagree, but WCE won’t have a pick that low. Freo might though. But personally, i hope he stays with you guys. He’s a good story.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

My footy team lost its first game of the season by seven points. Luckily I don't live and die for football results and I have other things to do and care about in the upcoming weeks. Frankly the fact that a dozen of your kind swarm in every time the Pies lose just makes me cringe. Do you have nothing better to do with your spare time?

I love footy. I’m everywhere my friend. Collingwood isn’t so special that it’s just them. Have a great weekend buddy. Chin up.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Game reminded me of the round 1, 2011 Friday night clash at the G where the Catters were trailing all game but pipped the Sainters by a point, Milburn kicking the winner. Saints 2nd premiership faves going in ( or equal first ) like the Pies, got rolled and Cats went on to win the flag.

Last nights game was also reminiscent of the GF where the Pies led for so long, were level at 3qtr time and lost narrowly. Uncanny. Anyway great to see Elliot play well in his first game and De Goey jag a couple of good snags, I just knew he was going to get that first after he slipped over. Lots of positives to take for both clubs and Geelong will have a lot of added self belief in victory. They Did beat the Dees in round last year,a side tipped to do well and eventually did. Danger, Ablett and Kelly were fierce as were Selly and Stewart.

This season's going to be phenomenal where there will be many genuine contenders. Even sides that finish 12th -14th will take big scalps and shape the outlook of the 8, top 4 etc.

Dont know about pies being 5 goals up - Geelong burned chances too - but agree with your summation on Cats. Our finals record is poor and not convinced yet that will be any different this season.

Agreed. We're terrible finals performers until we prove otherwise.

Making a habit of beating good sides who expect to be around deep into September in front of big crowds at the MCG during the H&A isn't a bad start though.

As an Eagles fan Im a bit concerned getting Kelly could be a Des Headland factor.

Gets home and doesn't put in the same effort.

Happy to get him if we dont give up too much but wont lose any sleep if he stays a cat or goes to Freo.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Don't know about that, but I think the fact that he wanted a trade last year, didn't get his way, then instead of sulking about, he looks like he's taken his game to another level should give you a fair bit of confidence. Whatever the outcome, I think he's shown in his career to date that he's a true professional.

On a side note- as a football fan.
I like the look of Miyers (maybe spelt wrong). I reckon he will be a ripper small forward.

He's certainly the type of player who catches your eye in his first few games with the dreadlocks and his attack on the ball. When a player is starting out, he essentially just needs to show the supporters that he's willing to have a crack, but after a handful of games he'll need to show more to justify a spot.

It remains to be seen though if he has the touch of class that he'd need to go with his obvious courage and tenacity to have a long AFL career.

Agree we had to put up with that in 2018.

This was the midfield touted as Collingwoods trump card of 2019. All summer I've heard Grundy + Beams, Sidebottom, Pendlebury, De Goey, etc. rotating through and their first chance of 2019 to beat a good side and actually win for there side they were left wanting.

Not disrespecting the Cats whose midfield is also great, but this wasn't how the story was predicted to start.
Yeah, you’re right. Not the ideal start, but do we just throw in the towel after Round 1? Have you thrown in the towel because your defence got injured Thursday night and is out for the year?

Not sure what you’re trying to say with the above post as it’s only one game. No-one predicted we’d go 22-0.

How goddamn frustrating for Pies supporters. Just goes to show how a star studded midfield can be negated by a woeful fwd line.

Back