Game Day Match Sim vs Hawthorn - Daz can’t be effed making a new one

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit more about tomorrow...

Geelong fans will be treated to eight periods of play in a huge night of footy at GMHBA Stadium on Thursday.

The Cats’ first competitive hit-out of 2023 will be a match simulation featuring the club’s AFL and VFL-listed players as they take on Hawthorn and the Box Hill Hawks.

Each of the eight ‘quarters’ will run for 30 minutes, with first bounce at 4pm. The first four quarters will feature AFL-listed players, before VFL players swap in for the second half of play.

Entry is FREE for members and fans of both clubs, with gates to open at 3.30pm.

For those unable to make it, the first four quarters will be streamed live on Kayo and broadcast on Foxtel.

I panicked about tonight but then saw your correction…. Great that it is on foxtel as well as Kayo. Would have hoped for those who dont have either it could have been streamed on you tube as well (pretty sure last years was on youtube as well as kayo - I didn’t have Kayo but found it on YouTube).

Also with the 8 qtrs I understand it is really now just two games. First 4 are AFL and second 4 VFL (which is a mix of AFL and VFL players as normal). Last year against Richmond it was 6 quarters with most AFL best team doing 3-4 quarters and the last 2 were the rest. The interest was who of the ”next level” got game earlier (ie. 3rd or 4th qtr). If I remember it was Frank, Cooper, Whyte and Mitch who got early looks.

This year the interest is who plays in the first 4 qtrs vrs the last (although wouldn’t be surprised if some overlap in the last?). I understand that they are going to have at least 26 in the first game (mirror what they will do next week against Brisbane where they play 26). So 8 on the bench. At this stage I hear we have a fairly full list other than Hawk, Scratcher, Toby and I think Duncan. I understand a couple of more senior players also sitting out with niggles but don’t know who.

I expect we see all of the new trades in the first game and Dempsey and maybe one or two other young ones (although with a relatively full list you get to 26 pretty quickly!!).

A bit more about tomorrow...

Geelong fans will be treated to eight periods of play in a huge night of footy at GMHBA Stadium on Thursday.

The Cats’ first competitive hit-out of 2023 will be a match simulation featuring the club’s AFL and VFL-listed players as they take on Hawthorn and the Box Hill Hawks.

Each of the eight ‘quarters’ will run for 30 minutes, with first bounce at 4pm. The first four quarters will feature AFL-listed players, before VFL players swap in for the second half of play.

Entry is FREE for members and fans of both clubs, with gates to open at 3.30pm.

For those unable to make it, the first four quarters will be streamed live on Kayo and broadcast on Foxtel.

Just how is that administered? Hands up if you are a member?

I only just picked this up. So the last 4 quarters we are going to have to try and find a different way (if we can?). On foxtel it does have geelong vs hawks starting again after a break in between but only for an hour so either it is the last 2 qtrs (seems strange) or repeat/highlights of AFL game?

This confirms that it is AFL game and then VFL game

That is interesting…

Doing my maths… We had 26 including emergencies (Holmes, Mene and ceglar) for the GF.

Confirmed not playing out of that group is Selwood, Hawkins, Duncan and Smith. I also understand Rohan is not playing tomorrow night. So that means we have 5 spots if we play 26 in the AFL squad

Confirmed in are the 3 new trades (2 for midfield it seems and Ollie H forward). I think Sav will play (as a defender - with Jack moving forward) Dempsey will play (as a forward).

I might be wrong about 26 players too - maybe less - was just a guess as they normally play 26 for the “official“ practise game…and it means they can play a lot of the senior players only 50% having 8 players on the bench.

We will find out soon enough but fun to speculate

Stop being kind of respectful, I want to hate you guys, we'd never get this kind of treatment from Richmond. Stop being a bad villain.
It's always been that way between Geelong & Hawthorn, and it's the element of footy banter that I actually enjoy. It truly does make the game better.

Back & forth jabs at one another, but always a mutual respect underlying the conversation.

It's what Richmond supporters can't seem to grasp, and probably never will.

Just listed on AFL.

Interesting that Grigg on k-rock said Smith unlikely - although he is on the list below.

From Hawks…Cooper Stephens not playing

Geelong v Hawthorn at GMHBA Stadium, 4pm AEDT
(8 x 30 min quarters plus time on)

GEELONG

1. Rhys Stanley, 2. Zach Tuohy, 3. Brandan Parfitt, 4. Tanner Bruhn, 5. Jeremy Cameron, 7. Isaac Smith, 8. Jake Kolodjashnij, 9. Max Holmes, 10. Mitchell Knevitt, 11. Cooper Whyte, 12. Jack Bowes, 13. Jhye Clark, 15. Jonathon Ceglar, 16. Sam De Koning, 17. Esava Ratugolea, 18. Tyson Stengle, 21. Osca Riccardi, 24. Jed Bews, 27. Sam Menegola, 28. Ollie Dempsey, 29. Cameron Guthrie, 30. Tom Atkins, 31. Oscar Murdoch, 32. Gryan Miers, 34. Oisin Mullin, 35. Patrick Dangerfield, 36. Ollie Henry, 38. Jack Henry, 39. Zachary Guthrie, 40. Ted Clohesy, 42. Mark O'Connor, 44. Tom Stewart, 45. Brad Close, 46. Mark Blicavs

Notable absentees: Tom Hawkins, Mitch Duncan, Gary Rohan, Sam Simpson

EDIT: There is also another list that has 19 VFL players who are playing tomorrow night. I saw it on insta Geelong VFL story

Just listed on AFL.

Interesting that Grigg on k-rock said Smith unlikely - although he is on the list below.

From Hawks…Cooper Stephens not playing

Geelong v Hawthorn at GMHBA Stadium, 4pm AEDT
(8 x 30 min quarters plus time on)

GEELONG

1. Rhys Stanley, 2. Zach Tuohy, 3. Brandan Parfitt, 4. Tanner Bruhn, 5. Jeremy Cameron, 7. Isaac Smith, 8. Jake Kolodjashnij, 9. Max Holmes, 10. Mitchell Knevitt, 11. Cooper Whyte, 12. Jack Bowes, 13. Jhye Clark, 15. Jonathon Ceglar, 16. Sam De Koning, 17. Esava Ratugolea, 18. Tyson Stengle, 21. Osca Riccardi, 24. Jed Bews, 27. Sam Menegola, 28. Ollie Dempsey, 29. Cameron Guthrie, 30. Tom Atkins, 31. Oscar Murdoch, 32. Gryan Miers, 34. Oisin Mullin, 35. Patrick Dangerfield, 36. Ollie Henry, 38. Jack Henry, 39. Zachary Guthrie, 40. Ted Clohesy, 42. Mark O'Connor, 44. Tom Stewart, 45. Brad Close, 46. Mark Blicavs

Notable absentees: Tom Hawkins, Mitch Duncan, Gary Rohan, Sam Simpson

EDIT: There is also another list that has 19 VFL players who are playing tomorrow night. I saw it on insta Geelong VFL story

Stephens has concussion for hawks. From our side duncan and rohan (old) managed is expected,conway injured ditto willis and kroeger still. Otherwise the squad is as expected except for simpson hope hes not injured again he cant afford that.

Im super looking forward to seeing tanner in the midfield and the 2 ollies up forward with no hawk/neale/rohan.

Of the 19 vfl guys named im really looking forward to seeing van de heuvel eyers and benson out there.

Stephens has concussion for hawks. From our side duncan and rohan (old) managed is expected,conway injured ditto willis and kroeger still. Otherwise the squad is as expected except for simpson hope hes not injured again he cant afford that.
SOS not being named is a concern. Hadn't heard of any setbacks so I see this as worrying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So looking at the list of players and taking out who (I think) will play the “second game” I am left with 26-27 players. What is interesting is that 13 of those are players who expect to play midfield (including ruck and wing)…and that doesnt count those who could play on the wing (2E, Stewart etc). So with only 6 on field roles there is a massive squeeze somewhere through the middle!

And my (new) understanding is that they will try and play a “normal” rotation of 23 players (5 on the bench) for 3 quarters (which is what was done last year for equivalent game) before swapping over some players who will share afl and vfl game etc..

In my mind that means we are going to see some on this list either not play or maybe be surprised as to who we do NOT see play in first 3 quarters (they will have to reduce some of those players through the middle). Now we may not need to read anything into that as they might just give some new guys a game ahead of existing ones - but will be interesting…

Found something online. the VFL squads announced for tomorrow.

Two interesting names on it. MOC and Atkins…. From here you can work out I think the AFL squad…35 players vs 11 below in VFL squad leaves 24 players…If smith is a late out (per Griggs with K Rock) you get to the 23 squad who will play the first 3 quarters at least (I wonder then whether they swap in a number of players below for some older players to give them a quarter in AFL team?)

Interesting

View attachment 1613689

Considering its match-sim and not an actual practice match, I'm not sure they're going to be focused on going with a squad of 23 for the AFL face off tomorrow - it may be a case of a flexible roster with some players starting the match but hitting the showers after 2 periods with others rotating in, etc

We've named 53 players to be involved tomorrow night, so I'm sure we'll see a few AFL listed guys playing alongside the VFL guys, but thinking it's more likely to be the younger guys who those who've had an interrupted summer & easing back into it

Also, hasn't that already been confirmed as the first 4 periods as being the focus for the AFL guys, with the VFL squad taking over after that?

Considering its match-sim and not an actual practice match, I'm not sure they're going to be focused on going with a squad of 23 for the AFL face off tomorrow - it may be a case of a flexible roster with some players starting the match but hitting the showers after 2 periods with others rotating in, etc

We've named 53 players to be involved tomorrow night, so I'm sure we'll see a few AFL listed guys playing alongside the VFL guys, but thinking it's more likely to be the younger guys who those who've had an interrupted summer & easing back into it

Also, hasn't that already been confirmed as the first 4 periods as being the focus for the AFL guys, with the VFL squad taking over after that?
You are right…it has been confirmed….slowly but slowly it has emerged now as two separate games (after starting as 4 then 8 quarters!). The latest link on afl actually now calling the second game (4 quarters!) the first Smithy VFL practise game…. And named separate squads and a starting time of 6:15pm…

As you say I suspect we may see some overlap in the 4th quarter of the AFL game - maybe…

What was interesting (but maybe not that insightful given it is a match sim) was Atkins and MOC playing in the VFL game…

Found something online. the VFL squads announced for tomorrow.

Two interesting names on it. MOC and Atkins…. From here you can work out I think the AFL squad…35 players vs 11 below in VFL squad leaves 24 players…If smith is a late out (per Griggs with K Rock) you get to the 23 squad who will play the first 3 quarters at least (I wonder then whether they swap in a number of players below for some older players to give them a quarter in AFL team?)

Interesting

View attachment 1613689You are right…it has been confirmed….slowly but slowly it has emerged now as two separate games (after starting as 4 then 8 quarters!). The latest link on afl actually now calling the second game (4 quarters!) the first Smithy VFL practise game…. And named separate squads and a starting time of 6:15pm…
As you say I suspect we may see some overlap in the 4th quarter of the AFL game - maybe…

What was interesting (but maybe not that insightful given it is a match sim) was Atkins and MOC playing in the VFL game…

atkins and moc are both pretty big leaders, so it wouldn’t be too big a surprise if they volunteer to run around for a few quarters with the vfl/afl players and lead from the front.

…or, the team lists are bogus

My mail is that both Duncan and Rohan have had niggles over the pre-season, so might be just behind the rest in preparation.

Scratch Match GameDay starts here
It’s time peeps..
roll out the widest of replies to what happens.

It can mean literally everything or it can mean absolutely nothing - and anything in between.

Is it hangover or a new beginning!?!

I have no idea.. but it’s gonna be awesome watching them run around, new and old… with the gold premiers logo on the ‘23 jumpers.
Just be fit, and no injuries.

The Premiership defense starts now.

Go Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back