Player Watch #1 - Steven May - All Australian FB

Remove this Banner Ad

you're an actual dead set ******* idiot. its ok to be wrong i know its hard for you as you are hindsight Harry and you'll argue a point til no campaigner is listening but ya wrong on this 1 princess. Any campaigner with their head rammed up their own asses can see our backline is ten fold better with May in it. we've fixed our backline our forward hasnt worked cause the other farmer has turned to mud and his milkman has gone missing. thats why we missed the 8 this year compared to when we didn't have the fat over rated drunk.
Oath.

Disagree. You win games by scoring more than the opposition - whether or not that is by a back man preventing the opposition scoring 3 or by a forward kicking 3.

I think we have the capacity to score a bit more - we still look like arse clowns more often than not pushing forward. Steven May’s value doesn’t drop because various of his teammates (or dare I say coaches) under achieve
Not going to argue with you about winning games if you score more and I’m not against fullbacks or May I’m opposed to giving up pick 6 for 27 year old one.

From memory the club were the highest scoring team in 2018 and made finals, this year we were good defensively and middle of the road in scoring and missed finals, the midfield is one paced and we played Pruess as a KPF in a game this year, I personally think that pick 6 could of been put to better use.

you're an actual dead set ******* idiot. its ok to be wrong i know its hard for you as you are hindsight Harry and you'll argue a point til no campaigner is listening but ya wrong on this 1 princess. Any campaigner with their head rammed up their own asses can see our backline is ten fold better with May in it. we've fixed our backline our forward hasnt worked cause the other farmer has turned to mud and his milkman has gone missing. thats why we missed the 8 this year compared to when we didn't have the fat over rated drunk.
Didn’t take much to get your knickers all bunched up today princess, I’m more than happy to admit when I’m wrong did it just the other day I’ll let you know next time I am, and as for ignoring me how many minutes did it take you to reply to me today

Which part
Pretty much the whole post. Saying we're good in 18 then got May and now we're s**t means it's a waste is moronic. We wouldn't have even come close to 9th without him wed be bottom couple and you'd be happily telling us how much of a shambles this administration is.

May as well say having Petracca is a waste of time aswell because we finished 9th and he doesn't help the team.

Pretty much the whole post. Saying we're good in 18 then got May and now we're sh*t means it's a waste is moronic. We wouldn't have even come close to 9th without him wed be bottom couple and you'd be happily telling us how much of a shambles this administration is.

May as well say having Petracca is a waste of time aswell because we finished 9th and he doesn't help the team.
Club was better in 18 and has been s**t since he’s been at the club and none of that was Mays fault this year or even last although him being crap last year didn’t help, but it is a fact.

My point always has been pick 6 for 27 year old fullback was to much and not going to help us win a flag, the back lines is good, great, we finished 9th because our midfield and forward line are middle of the road and midfield in particular is where games are won.

Your Trac analogy is just dumb, he’s a midfielder we drafted second, that’s everything I talk about and probably what we should of done with pick 6.

None of this takes away from the fact that May had a great year which is fantastic, from a Melbourne supporters point of view it was good to see him earn his money after last year, but I’m not a homer like you, I don’t live or die by individual performance, I don’t have favourite players and I don’t care if they are good blokes and I especially don’t just agree with something because Melbourne did it, if anything I’m the exact opposite.

I want Melbourne to be good and we aren’t and I believe that’s because of poor decisions at admin and footy department level, and one good year from one individual doesn’t change that, but as I said 18 months ago when we are talking flags and norm smiths I’ll start the tread where you can all call me a campaigner and then disappear with a gigantic smile on my face.

This year was pretty similar to 18. We just fell onto the wrong side of the ledger. We've never been that good.

Yep. As amazing as that brief run in 2018 was in hindsight we got pretty lucky.

Narrow win against the Eagles missing JK and Darling is concussed in the first 5 minutes
Thump GWS who have always had a horrid MCG record and they knew they'd be playing a final in Sydney either way
Thump Geelong who had their worst year since 2015 and only made finals because they got two bottom 4 sides at Geelong in the last two games
Beat the Hawks who were honestly the worst top 4 side in a while that year
Get smashed by the Eagles

I still think Goodwin isn't a good coach and we could do much better, but we are so much further from a flag than we thought we were

Great interview with May. Apparently still couldn’t see that well on ANZAC Eve - fooled me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty good of May not to bump McKays shoulder off the ball.

Just saw this post. Bravo.

Who's subscribed to the HS
AFL 2021: Steven May on early-career struggles, stopping the best forwards and the Demons’ resurgence
Melbourne is no longer the laughing stock of the AFL. Jay Clark reveals the miserly defensive stats behind the Dees’ remarkable resurgence.

Jay Clark and Jack Paynter

14 min read
May 18, 2021 - 9:42PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

25 comments

Pause
Loaded: 44.23%

Current Time 0:25
/
Duration 3:00

Fullscreen

NOW PLAYING
Resume

Nine in a row! Demons too good for Blues
2:44
UP NEXT
  • 88e5479f6ac8a75ffd4f0f05b905c59d

Bulldogs press conference
    9:47

• cfee5a32f543479df9be30c32cfab49f

"Enough is enough! It is diluting a beautiful game"
    2:09

• fdf3f01e4ddef55efdecf2851902f588

Cats annihilate Tigers in GF rematch
    3:17

• fallback.jpg

• fallback.jpg

• fallback.jpg

• fallback.jpg

AFL: The Melbourne Demons have maintained their perfect start to the season after cruising to victory over Carlton.

Steven May seems born for finals.
Tough, ruthless and aggressive, May always defends like his life depends on it.
But due largely to the AFL system which sent him to an expansion club on the day he was drafted to Gold Coast as a priority selection, in 156 senior games, the superstar full-back has never experienced football on the biggest stage.
And where Tom Lynch — who left Gold Coast at the same time May did at the end of 2018 — has helped spearhead the Tigers to back-to back premierships over the past two years, May has endured a much bumpier ride.
That is, until now.
Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Every match of every round Live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
Tom Lynch and Steven May left Gold Coast together, but have experienced vastly different fortunes. Picture: Michael Klein

Tom Lynch and Steven May left Gold Coast together, but have experienced vastly different fortunes. Picture: Michael Klein
Over the past two months, May has become the defensive linchpin in the best back defensive combination in the competition and arguably the No.1 stopper in the game as unbeaten Melbourne chalked up their ninth-straight win of the season over Carlton on Sunday at the MCG.
And every win Melbourne has ticked-off this season has brought the unflinching backman one step closer to something he has desperately wanted over 10-and-a-half seasons in the AFL.
Even more encouraging, May has no doubt the Demons are building a brand and a game style that can not only help book them a top spot in September, but then stand up when the intensity rises and the games become cut-throat.
DEES’ DEFENSIVE IMPROVEMENT
Points Against
2020: 8th - 2021: 1st
Oppo Score per inside 50 percentage
2020: 10th - 2021: 1st
Oppo Points from turnover
2020: 11th - 2021: 1st
Oppo D50 to inside 50 percentage
2020: 9th - 2021: 4th
Oppo D50 to score percentage
2020: 16th - 2021: 1st

May, 29, said what Melbourne is building under Simon Goodwin “feels pretty special”.
“Our best is as good as anyone in the competition at the moment, and I feel like even when we are off, we are still not that bad - we can work our way back into the match,” May said.
“So having a team with a really strong defence is at the forefront of our minds and I really want to play finals. We have higher ambitions too because want to finish top-four as well and compete for a flag.
“But personally, I have had a lot of losses in my career and we are taking each week as it comes and next week I have got ‘Tex’ Walker and that doesn’t get any easier. They’re all huge jobs.
“But I would really love to play in September this year, and you see teams like Richmond and think ‘Geez they’re fast and they’re hard to play against’, but their back-six is as good as any.
“That is what we are trying to build, and what we want to be known for, too.”
Steven May celebrates a win with teammate Trent Rivers. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

Steven May celebrates a win with teammate Trent Rivers. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
So what has changed from the past two seasons when Melbourne bombed out in 2019 finishing second-last above only the Suns and then last year when costly losses to Fremantle and Sydney sent their former president Glen Bartlett on a rant about Melbourne jumpers in Wheaties packets?
Clearly, the excellent form of Tom McDonald, Ed Langdon, May and Lever, the chemistry between Clayton Oliver and Christian Petracca, and the growth of Luke Jackson and Kysaiah Pickett are huge factors in the Melbourne resurgence.
But May credits Goodwin’s coaching staff, too.
“I was talking to ‘Crippa’ (Patrick Cripps) after the game and then ‘Bettsy’ (Eddie Betts) and he said ‘What’s going on here, where has this come from?’” May said.
“We have become more consistent and I think we have more clarity on the whole game plan, and we are executing it every week and I think that is what happens is when you keep getting wins.
“You start believing in it more and more, but the reality is we haven’t achieved anything yet.”
Steven May puts pressure on Carlton giant Harry McKay. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

Steven May puts pressure on Carlton giant Harry McKay. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
It hasn’t come without challenges in red and blue for May, who by his own admission made a shaky start at Melbourne rocking up out of shape and then was publicly scolded for having a beer with mates while out with a hamstring injury.
The public scrutiny was fierce at the time, and May owned up to his mistakes, but he has since paid the club back handsomely over the past two seasons, in particular.
At the halfway point of the season, May seems a certainty for his first All-Australian gurensey and has become an important leader alongside Jake Lever in the back half.
According to Champion Data, May has neutralised 53 per cent of his defensive one-on-one contests this season - the second-highest percentage of the top 25-players to have defended a contest.
STOPPING THE DANGER MEN
Steven May matchups
R6 Tom Lynch (Rich)
Mins: 106 - Oppo marks: 2 - Oppo goals: 0
R7 Nick Larkey (NM)
M: 45 - OM: 6 - OG: 1
R8 Lance Franklin (Syd)
M: 99 - OM: 3 - OG: 0
R9 Harry McKay (Car)
M: 107 - OM: 4 - OG: 3

Indeed, the tide of his whole football career has turned in 2021.
“I feel like after I made the decision to leave (the Suns) everything was going wrong for me,” he said.
“That is through my own fault and other reasons as well, but last year I felt like I got my body in a good position (to perform) and started to jell with the team and understand how I play and how they play.
“We missed out on finals (last year) but I think our time in the hub brought us closer and the boys started to see how passionate I am about the team.
“It is hard to come in to a new team and say I love this club like I have been at it for 10 years, but I am competitor and that came out pretty soon.”
May stood tall against the Blues. Picture: Michael Klein

May stood tall against the Blues. Picture: Michael Klein
Behind the scenes, that competitive edge which has been a cornerstone of Melbourne’s recruiting philosophy since Paul Roos helped get the club off its knees is what continues to keep the Dees sharp this season.
Adelaide Crows await on Saturday night followed by a tougher test against Western Bulldogs in a blockbuster Friday night contest the week after.
For a club that has the longest premiership drought in the game, complacency doesn’t feel like it is a huge threat right now.
“We have worked really hard as a club to build a group of competitors that want to win and want to be competitive every time they take the field,” coach Goodwin said.
“Whether that is through recruiting or list management or the way we train.”
But it is not win at all costs. Not by the way cult figure Pickett immediately told umpires that another one of his miraculous snapped goals had been touched in the last term, and considering May’s views on his injured opponent Harry McKay on Sunday.
McKay, who is leading the Coleman Medal as the league’s top goal kicker, was hobbled by a shoulder problem after landing heavily on it in an early marking contest on the wing.
May said there was no temptation to target McKay’s injury after he hurt it.

FOXSPORTS5:35
Melbourne Demons Press Conference

AFL: Melbourne Demons coach Simon Goodwin addresses the media following his side's comfortable victory over Carlton.

Not that McKay was honest about what was going on in his brief chat with May about the pains in his right shoulder.
“It is not part of the game to be targeting someone when they have an injury,” May said.
“To his credit, I asked him (McKay) what’s wrong with him and I think he said he had a sore ankle.
“I could tell there was something not right but I don’t know, I put myself in his shoes and if that was me I think it is a bit cheap.
“It is not in the spirit of the game.
“But his shoulder looked alright to be honest. He was still taking some marks out in front.
“He is a big long man, he is quick, and Carlton target him 90 per cent of the time, so it is hard.
“You might win three or four or five contests, but guess what, the next one is coming to him. He is a star of the comp already but I think he is only going to get better.”
STEVEN MAY SCOUT PROFILE
2021 ratings:
  • Disposals: 19, Elite
  • Metres gained: 430, Elite
  • Marks: 6, Above average
  • Intercept marks: 2.3, Above average
  • Spoils: 5.6, Average
SOURCE: CHAMPION DATA

May said Melbourne built-up the contest on gameday as a battle of Melbourne’s high-pressure team defence versus the Blues’ scoring power.
And Melbourne kept the Blues to their equal-lowest score of the season even though May was filthy McKay bravely notched a couple of late ones on him.
“We wanted to keep them to 60 (points),” May said.
“We spoke pre-game, and it is no secret, we have a pretty good defence going. It is the whole team defence.
“But Carlton has a really good offence, so it was strength versus strength, and even in wet conditions they kept playing on and kept playing fast.
“Thankfully our forwards and mids were able to put some pressure on and got some holding the balls (free kicks) and that certainly helped us a bit down back.”
May all smiles, despite a serious battlescar suffered earlier this season.. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images

May all smiles, despite a serious battlescar suffered earlier this season.. Picture: AFL Photos/Getty Images
May, too, suffered a nasty injury when he was accidentally whacked by Geelong great Tom Hawkins in Round 4, fracturing his cheekbone and slicing open his face under his right eye.
He missed only one week but returned the following round to take on his mate Lynch in the significant win over the reigning premier.
May revealed that he was still struggling with his vision against Richmond.
“In hindsight, I probably shouldn’t have played the next couple of weeks,” May said.
“I really wanted to play against ‘Lynchy’ in the ANZAC eve game, so I had to make myself available for that one.
“(My eye) was closed for a week, and you know when you wake up from a sleep and you can’t open your eyes to the light, well imagine running around on the MCG under lights at night.
“So it (vision) was just a bit blurry, but it is coming good.”
An errant Tomahawk elbow caused the serious eye injury. Picture: Michael Klein

An errant Tomahawk elbow caused the serious eye injury. Picture: Michael Klein
What he is crystal clear on is his faith in Goodwin after starting the year out as the most under pressure coach in the game. Now, he looks like coach of the year, or certainly right up there.
“He invests so much into the team, and each individual, and into the game plan, and is always trying to find even a one per cent way for us to get better,” he said.
“The season hadn’t even started and he was under heaps of pressure and I was thinking ‘this sucks’, but it was the reality.
“If we don’t win it was going to happen, but I’m just so happy for him, seeing him with a smile on his face, even if it doesn’t come until the end of the game and seeing him walk off in front of the mcc with it.
“He is just loving it and is loving the team we are building right now. He loves that our effort is unwavering.
“He is trying to stick to his guns and what he believes in, and I think that is what makes it easy to play for him.”
Tom McDonald gets the Dees off to a flyer in the first quarter. Picture: Michael Klein

Tom McDonald gets the Dees off to a flyer in the first quarter. Picture: Michael Klein
HOW T-MAC’S DIET IS FEEDING THE SUCCESS AT DEES
Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin has lauded Tom McDonald for the remarkable career turnaround which has helped transform the unbeaten Demons into a genuine premiership heavyweight this season.
The key forward who was unwanted by rivals in last year’s trade period was outstanding again snagging three goals in the 26-point win over Carlton at the MCG on Sunday.
It was the Demons’ first look at a new forward combination with Sam Weideman and Ben Brown going goalless in their first clash paired-up together alongside McDonald in the red and blue.
But Melbourne produced one of its best defensive performances of the year restricting the injury-hit Carlton to only 68 points while the red-hot McDonald was enormous in attack.
Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Every match of every round Live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
It leaves the Demons in top spot on the ladder facing Adelaide Crows on Saturday night before a mouth-watering clash against fellow flag fancy Western Bulldogs on Friday week.
Goodwin said McDonald, who has turned to a meat heavy-diet which includes eating up to 4kg of red and white meat a week, set the tone for the whole team to follow with his competitiveness and attack on the ball.
“Incredibly proud of Tom and the work that he has put in to get himself in this position and to be playing the way he is playing,” Goodwin said.
“He typifies a bit about the team at the moment because he is playing the same way every week and he is getting his rewards.
“He is mobile, he competes hard and that is what we want to see from the big fella but I’m incredibly proud of the work he has put in and how he has turned things around.”
Goodwin hailed the Demons’ efforts over the first nine rounds of the season after two years of missing the finals which put the spotlight on the senior coach’s future at the start of the year.
“It is a brilliant platform that we have clearly laid,” Goodwin said.
A trimed-down McDonald was in superb form against Carlton. Picture: AFL Photos via Getty Images

A trimed-down McDonald was in superb form against Carlton. Picture: AFL Photos via Getty Images
“And (it is) just great for the work that the people have put in and the reward for our players and their buy-in to where they’re trying to get their game to.”
Goodwin said McDonald’s meat-heavy diet was obviously working as the jet goal kicker had trimmed down significantly to help bolster his running power in 2021.
“It was really clear for Tom at the end of last year he needed to lose some weight,” Goodwin said.
“He needed to drop five or six kilograms and get himself in peak condition and that is what he has been able to do.”
But the pressure on spots in the forward half will remain white-hot as ruckman-forward Luke Jackson attempts to return from a finger injury in the next fortnight.
While Brown and the out-of-contract Weideman did not have a major impact in the win on Sunday, Goodwin said it would “take time (to build) that cohesion”.
“They didn’t hit the scoreboard, but I felt they both competed really strongly and it allowed Tommy to do his thing,” he said.
“That will take time and it is like a few years ago we were talking about (Steven) May and (Jake) lever, their cohesion in the back half.”
Kysaiah Pickett celebrates a goal during the third quarter. Picture: Michael Klein

Kysaiah Pickett celebrates a goal during the third quarter. Picture: Michael Klein
DEES DO IT AGAIN AS DOUBLE BLOW DERAILS BLUES
Melbourne has outlasted a gallant but injury-hit Carlton to keep their undefeated season alive with a 26-point win.
The Blues suffered two injury blows early in the game with David Cuningham hurting his knee and Harry McKay his shoulder in the first quarter.
The Blues were brave throughout the first half with their tacking pressure, but the Demons experienced midfield brigade of Clayton Oliver, Christian Petracca and Max Gawn began to assert their dominance in the second quarter.
Oliver (29 disposals) finished the game with seven clearances and Petracca (27 touches) had eight inside 50s and eight clearances, while Gawn dominated the ruck battle with Marc Pittonet, easily winning the hit-outs 44 to 23.
When Tom McDonald goaled on the run for his second in a row and third major of the first half the Demons looked to be pulling away, but a Liam Stocker snap from 45m kept the Blues within 13 points at half time.
The Demons upped the pressure as the heavens opened after the main break and piled on three straight goals to start the second half.
A sore Harry McKay then kicked back-to-back goals to keep the Blues in touch, but a four-goal to two third term gave the Dees a comfortable 26-point lead at the final change.
Unlike last week’s final quarter fade out where they gave up six final quarter goals, the Blues stuck around to square the fourth quarter but the game petered out late as the Demons recorded their ninth straight win.
David Cuningham grabs his left knee after landing awkwardly in the first quarter. Picture: Michael Klein

David Cuningham grabs his left knee after landing awkwardly in the first quarter. Picture: Michael Klein
BLUES DOWN EARLY
Carlton suffered two early injury blows with Cuningham going down with a knee in the opening minutes of the game.
He was subbed out for Michael Gibbons at the 12th minute mark and moments later big forward McKay went down to the rooms after a knock to the shoulder.
McKay re-emerged late in the first quarter but looked ginger and failed to have much of an impact in the first half.
The Coleman medal favourite came to life in the third quarter with two of his three goals but he was held to just eight touches by Steven May.
Alex Neal-Bullen fires up his teammates after another goal. Picture: Michael Klein

Alex Neal-Bullen fires up his teammates after another goal. Picture: Michael Klein
PROMISING RETURN
Young Dees forward Sam Weideman (13 disposals) made a promising return to footy in his first game for the year.
The 23-year-old spent time in the ruck and took a couple of big contested marks, but was unable to hit the scoreboard, missing his only set shot.
Christian Salem (29 disposals) was again dominant across halfback with three rebound 50s and the equal most disposals for the Demons.

I'll always take pleasure in being right about this one and laughing at the people who thought we take Ben King. When the club trade for Steven May it wasn't for 2019, it was 2019-23/4/5 however long.
It was a trade to help us win a premiership, had we gone to the draft and taken King instead of May we might still be mid table, stuck in mediocrity.

Brav ******* o to whoever pulled the trigger for having the balls to try and win a premiership and not just be the safe MFC that's achieved * all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back