Player Watch #11 Tom Papley - Telling it like it is

Remove this Banner Ad

idTAwFiA.jpg

Tom Papley

Player Profile

Tom Papley swapped his plumbing tools for a Sherrin when the Sydney Swans sprung a draft surprise in 2015 – and the pocket-rocket forward has since become a crucial member of coach John Longmire’s side. Papley has played 20 or more senior games in every one of his four full seasons in the AFL and was at his best in 2019, topping Sydney’s goal-kicking leaderboard and finishing fourth in the Bob Skilton Medal voting. The Gippsland Power product took on more time in the midfield in 2019 and is likely to again split his time between the forward line and centre bounce this year. Papley was selected in the AFL Players’ Association’s 22Under22 team in 2017. Draft history: 2016 Rookie Draft selection (Sydney) No. 12; 2016 AFL Draft rookie elevation (Sydney).

Tom Papley
DOB: 13 July 1996
DEBUT:2016
DRAFT: 2016
RECRUITED FROM: Bunyip (Vic)/Gippsland U18

Last edited by a moderator:

I did not see Papley's brother name on the list of players invited to the combine. I wonder if we would consider him with a later pick.

Apparently Will Papley is a 177cm inside mid. But we will probably draft Gulden who plays a similiar position. So not sure if we will have a spot especially if there are reduced lists.

Tom is meant to be really close to his brother. So I wonder if he would be happier if he had his brother kicking the ball to him from midfield.

I did not see Papley's brother name on the list of players invited to the combine. I wonder if we would consider him with a later pick.

Apparently Will Papley is a 177cm inside mid. But we will probably draft Gulden who plays a similiar position. So not sure if we will have a spot especially if there are reduced lists.

Tom is meant to be really close to his brother. So I wonder if he would be happier if he had his brother kicking the ball to him from midfield.
Will is now a little bit taller

I'm super hot about his brother, think if he's anything like his brother he'll be a real hard worker.
Tho may end up like Xavier Richards

I'm super hot about his brother, think if he's anything like his brother he'll be a real hard worker.
Tho may end up like Xavier Richards
If he has half as much heart as Tom then sign him up. Great teams need these kinds of players because as the game has become more professional you need to have players playing for the jumper and their teammates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he has half as much heart as Tom then sign him up. Great teams need these kinds of players because as the game has become more professional you need to have players playing for the jumper and their teammates.
We have a club players can connect with. Not all of course but the right player will feel what the club has to offer them through out their careers.

Combine lists are very small this year...

Do you know if his brother is considered potentially good enough to be on an afl list?
Watch him next year, this year there is little chance, but with a NAB and Nationals under 19 nest year, you might see him pop up then.

Damien Hardwick described the Fremantle team in his three quarter time spray at the Tigers on Wednesday as scrapper. It must be the in word in the AFL at the moment.
Damien Hardwick is becoming quiet the pompous arse.

I actually know him and he's not , great bloke . Laughs about his battles with Paul Kelly when players were tough and footy was better .
I will take your word then given that, I feel like he doesn’t do himself any favours at times

If he has half as much heart as Tom then sign him up.
Will struggle for stamina with only 2 valves, would be an impact player for 5-10 minutes a quarter at best

I will take your word then given that, I feel like he doesn’t do himself any favours at times
He like Horse and many others hate that they have to do 2 a week and 1 after a game. I actually think he's funny at times , but now after those 2 dickheads he will be challenged. Compare him to Clarko who has the personality of washed up seaweed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back