AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

No, not really. I still haven't a clue which part of what i said you take such issue to. Perhaps if you better articulated your opinion on the subject that would help.
It's quite simply the part of your post I quoted and commented on. Not really sure I can simplify it any more but I'll try. He doesn't grow in stature with every game he doesn't play. That's just some s**t you made up. He can barely get a decent run at it and most people would like to see him do so before writing him off. Don't confuse that kind of support for people thinking he would have 3 Brownlows if he could just get on the park.

What you said that I quoted is just rubbish you made up. Is that clear enough?

Go back and have a look at the replies I got when I suggested we should be trading him last September. Plenty of people disagreed because of his potential and the fact we can get him right. He has carried a lot of hype from before he was drafted.

If he's going to get injured at least get injured playing AFL. What the glory be is Baguley doing getting games at this stage.

Its so ******* frustrating.

Yep. How many times do you tempt fate with players who have the propensity for this sort of misfortune?

Maybe we need accountants in the football department to work our what our assets are.

Whether or not the injury is inevitable, I would at least like to remove the variable that is the cow paddock at Sandi.

Couldn't help but listen Chris Scott on Taking Footy earlier. He knew he couldn't get Constable into the side and that he had to force the issue which meant reducing midfield time for 2 modern grates.

We won't force the issue for Mark Baguley? I guess Chris Scott has never won his own premiership so he is not successful and not worth listening to or something like that.

It's funny, I can't help but remember the time that Dalgleish, coming of 3 solid games at the end of 2013 (showing that he could fit into an AFL team and I think most have forgotten that he actually got out there and acquitted himself well), and a good 2015 pre-season campaign was left out of a team so that Courtney Dempsey who turned up to pre-season about 10kgs over weight could start round 1. Dalgleish gets injured at Sandi in arctic, conditions, a knee or ankle stain and is then de-listed at year's end, having battled injury all year, apparently because he didn't deal well with the supplements saga.

Yes, yes, I know it was a long shot but Dalgleish had two elite attributes that team was crying out for: he was probably the quickest guy on an AFL list (seriously!) and he could kick lazerguided missiles over 60m. Good clubs always seem to make it work for someone they need.

It feels like we are back at 2015. An even better group of kids have no faith shown in them so we can play s**t truck senior players.

I give the club credit that ASAGA is the cause of the latest inability to critically assess its players but it's a trait that stretches well back to the Sheedy-era.

Last edited:
Yep. How many times do you tempt fate with players who have the propensity for this sort of misfortune?

Maybe we need accountants in the football department to work our what our assets are.

Whether or not the injury is inevitable, I would at least like to remove the variable that is the cow paddock at Sandi.

Couldn't help but listen Chris Scott on Taking Footy earlier. He knew he couldn't get Constable into the side and that he had to force the issue which meant reducing midfield time for 2 modern grates.

We won't force the issue for Mark Baguley? I guess Chris Scott has never won his own premiership so he is not successful and not worth listening to or something like that.

It's funny, I can't help but remember the time that Dalgleish, coming of 3 solid games at the end of 2013 (showing that he could fit into an AFL team and I think most have forgotten that he actually got out there and acquitted himself well), and a good 2015 pre-season campaign was left out of a team so that Courtney Dempsey who turned up to pre-season about 10kgs over weight could start round 1. Dalgleish gets injured at Sandi in arctic, conditions, a knee or ankle stain and is then de-listed at year's end, having battled injury all year, apparently because he didn't deal well with the supplements saga.

Yes, yes, I know it was a long shot but Dalgleish had two elite attributes that team was crying out for: he was probably the quickest guy on an AFL list (seriously!) and he could kick lazerguided missiles over 60m. Good clubs always seem to make it work for someone they need.

It feels like we are back at 2015. An even better group of kids have no faith shown in them so we can play s**t truck senior players.

I give the club credit that ASAGA is the cause of the latest inability to critically assess its players but it's a trait that stretches well back to the Sheedy-era.
Lachie looked like he was gonna camp on a HBF and break the lines for years :(
i was sad he didn't make it.

But as for your earlier point on Chris Scott. All well and good for him reducing time for some plodders like Ablett and Dangerfield. you're talking about dropping Baguley!

Difficult to predict a time frame, significant injury to the lateral ligaments. No joint involvement though (that's a good thing).

Two Bombers who won’t be lining up this week are Jayden Laverde and Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, who suffered similar ankle injuries in the VFL team’s practice match victory over Sandringham last Saturday.

Crow said it is difficult to predict a timeframe for their return given the nature of the injury, but he was pleased to report there was no major damage.

“Jayden sprained his ankle in the second quarter of the VFL match. Fortunately, there’s no syndesmosis (joint) involvement.

“There is a significant amount of injury to the lateral ligaments of the ankle, which makes it a bit unpredictable in terms of his timeframe.

“Once Jayden can run pain-free we’ll start him cutting and rehabilitating him as he’s able.
https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2019-04-02/begley-set-to-return

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That sounds horrific tbh

He becoming another David Myers - or actually worse in terms of games average...Myers has played 118 games over 12 years averaging 9.8 a year (he could boost that this year if he doesn't get dropped to the reserves...!!!)
Laverde thus far has played 30 games over 5 years (including this year) averaging just 6 games a year...!!
Its a worry he's so injury prone early in his career - he has ability and in a way thats the issue - because of this ability he will get kept on the list and keep getting injured and become a perennial list clogger.
I know its a harsh call, but we need him to have a few big games towards the end of the year, and then if we can get anything for him at the trade table then move him on. As a club we need to start to be more ruthless and make decisions like this if we are going to improve

The footy gods have not been kind to him, having met his dad and a small chat to his mum on social media and also chatting to the man himself they are really genuine people.

I know it’s not just Lav who is frustrated it’s also his family who have been along for the ride and supported him through thick and thin and will continue to do so and if the time comes that we need to cut him loose because of injury I’ll be heartbroken for the guy.

He’s contracted until 2020.

He’s played 30 games in 5 years...

Christ, easy street.

David Myers and him must go to bed with a big smile on their faces. It’s easy, this AFL caper

He becoming another David Myers - or actually worse in terms of games average...Myers has played 118 games over 12 years averaging 9.8 a year (he could boost that this year if he doesn't get dropped to the reserves...!!!)
Laverde thus far has played 30 games over 5 years (including this year) averaging just 6 games a year...!!
Its a worry he's so injury prone early in his career - he has ability and in a way thats the issue - because of this ability he will get kept on the list and keep getting injured and become a perennial list clogger.
I know its a harsh call, but we need him to have a few big games towards the end of the year, and then if we can get anything for him at the trade table then move him on. As a club we need to start to be more ruthless and make decisions like this if we are going to improve
That's a dodgy average. He couldn't have played 6 games this year yet if he tried, since it's not even round 3 yet.

He seems to play the end of seasons a lot;
2015: 9 games. Debut season, don't think he was injured? Played in rounds 15 through 23.
2016: 9 games. One NAB cup game, ankle injury, gets back to play in Round 4, injures AC joint during the game, returns in round 16, plays every game after that.
2017: 5 games. Plays all three JLT games, injures ankle, misses most of the season. Finally back to play in round 18, 19, (VFL bye in 20, not sure if omitted or rested), 21, 22, 23.
2018: 7 games. Pre-season hamstring injury, misses AFLX and JLT. Returns in round 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, rested week before the bye (named emg). Plays a couple of VFL games after the bye, injures hamstring, rehabs it just in time to play in round 23. First time he's played in the middle of a season rather than the end of one.
2019: Started in the VFL, sprained ankle. Now a 2+ week injury.

When he's in he plays as many consecutive games as are possible, but then he usually get injured. :think:

I think when we got him he was billed as a potential midfielder by Dodoro, but with injury he's barely had a chance to try there. Every time his contract is up it's one of the first to be extended, so there's obviously still some faith there.

This is his profile on the Essendon website, not very useful for telling me what injuries he had but I especially liked the bolded part;
Talented young Bomber who been repeatedly interrupted by injuries in his four years at Essendon.

While primarily used as a half-forward, Laverde is capable of heading further up the ground and will be pushing for more midfield time in 2019.

The 22-year-old put together one of his best career games in the final round of the 2018 season against Port Adelaide, booting three goals from 17 disposals in a great display of his quality.

With more consistent time on the park, Laverde could get a good chance to secure his position in the top 22 in 2019 in what will be an important year for the new No.15.
https://www.essendonfc.com.au/player-profile/jayden-laverde

I wonder if there are any examples of players that were injury ravaged early in their careers and then worked out well later? Like not just someone with repeat hamstrings that learned to run a different way, but this kind of random different injuries one after another..?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back