AFL Player #15: Jayden Laverde

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember when his body seemed fragile but he seems to have gotten over that. It seems a distant memory. Maybe he realises his career is at the brink.
Part of it is that he seems to bulk up really easily and ends up carrying too much weight for his body to handle, but he's also had his share of collision injuries which is mostly down to luck.

I seem to remember him being a fairly good kick in his first year, but he's barely had a good run of games since. :/

Brings more than Townsend, hopefully can keep the consistency although it’s hard to be consistent playing in our forward line.

Didn’t mind his little cameo down back late in the game.
Would have preferred that cameo in the middle, though someone had to replace Hooker. The timing of that move was ridiculous though.

Would have preferred that cameo in the middle, though someone had to replace Hooker. The timing of that move was ridiculous though.
I think about five minutes into the last quarter the coaches were like.. "well this is ****ed, lets just use the time to try some things out. if it pays off it pays off, nothing else we've tried has worked tonight"

Good tonight. Needs to show absolute venom at every contest though once the ball hits the ground. He has that in him, needs to be non negotiable.
Looks like his confidence in his body is building a bit. There was a time when any sort of contact in a game would leave him with a serious injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think about five minutes into the last quarter the coaches were like.. "well this is f’ed, lets just use the time to try some things out. if it pays off it pays off, nothing else we've tried has worked tonight"
Probs right. I wish they'd pulled the trigger earlier. I wonder if John had said, the switch could be made, but let Ben decide when to make the change.

He's competed well every game, but really needs to improve his goal kicking given the limited amount of opportunities he gets.

He's good enough to average 1.5-2 goals a game which would be very handy.

Has shown improvement in the last two weeks - Think he would be more effective if Francis replaces Townsend as he would have a lesser quality opponent.

Has shown improvement in the last two weeks - Think he would be more effective if Francis replaces Townsend as he would have a lesser quality opponent.
Not sure I want to break up our defence, but think Francis back and Hooker forward would be better.
Hooker, McKernan, Lav

Still horrible at defending the forward half but was not alone there. His biggest issue is his lack of second or third efforts. Most of the time he goes once and that is it. Was an improved game for sure.

His attack on the ball has been pretty good all year. Needs a bit more polish with a few things but has done enough to suggest we keep on persisting.

We don't have too many options so we need to persist, get him to 50 games this year and see if he can stay injury free and kick of a decent career next year.

More annoyed me about his game than not.

Too sloppy with the ball for my liking.

He's a lot like Hibberd in the sense that his default is to go hard but he's too often between minds about whether to go.

You see him going for the ball in the air in this weird way with one hand. I'd seriously think he has a problem with his eye sight if it wasn't for the 30 odd VFL games I've seen him play in which it isnt an issue. Neither are his second efforts or his forward defence generally.

He's a player we need to rebuild into the confident brute he was in his youth. It's a very hard thing to do for a player who at best is building confidence from something close to rock bottom while also playing as an undersized key forward (which would only work at his absolute best which we've never come close to seeing) on an opposition key defender.

The signs are there. He's taking the ball cleanly and running at players and it is working (but for said sloppy disposal).

Would be great if Stewart comes in for Townsend as he'll demand the other key defender, which then lets Laverde just hunt as a flanker. Get that to the point he's smashing people and taking grabs and then fix up his defence.

The injury to Stringer gives him the time he needs.

Starting to actually show physical attributes. Very hard to tackle and can stop and turn on a dime.

Would benefit massively from a bigger presence at full forward because he’s being asked to do a lot of heavy lifting at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back