Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

Remove this Banner Ad

20200705_wicks_hero.jpg

Sam Wicks

Sam Wicks is a small forward with tidy skills below his knees and an outstanding awareness around goal. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product was rookie-listed in November 2018 and was a consistent stand-out for the Sydney Swans’ NEAFL side in 2019. He became Sydney's fifth debutant of season 2020 when he was named to face Collingwood in Round 10, before finishing the season with seven appearances to his name. Wicks heads into 2021 fighting names like Tom Papley, Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray for a spot in Sydney’s best 22.

Sam Wicks
DOB: 14 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2018 Other
RECRUITED FROM: Manly-Warringah (NSW)/Sydney (NEAFL)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The brand of footy we are playing is built around players like wicks. Quick, pressure footy. He is absolutely integral.

If he was to walk I'm done. Would be completely left field and rub salt into the wound. I'd seriously question the direction of the club and it's strategy around contract renewals if it were to happen. He's a NSW kid and best 22, back him in FFS, any contract offer from anywhere else should be quashed from our end immediately. He should've been offered a contract long time ago why are we so casual about it. If you wait until they start gunning it before offering a contract then you're practically giving other clubs a free crack.

Last edited:
There is no offer from north. Sam is a swans player

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thanks for continuing to give us the inside scoop on Wicks. Always great for fans to have someone within the inner sanctum to provide a different perspective to mere speculation.

I hope the comments on this board show how highly rated he is by swans supporters.

From my perspective, he has loads of talent and his skillset is perfectly matched to the current standards of AFL footy.

Hes quick, applies plenty of pressure, and is composed when he wins to ball.

Btw, does he know you post on here?

The brand of footy we are playing is built around players like wicks. Quick, pressure footy. He is absolutely integral.

If he was to walk I'm done. Would be completely left field and rub salt into the wound. I'd seriously question the direction of the club and it's strategy around contract renewals if it were to happen. He's a NSW kid and best 22, back him in FFS, any contract offer from anywhere else should be quashed from our end immediately. He should've been offered a contract long time ago why are we so casual about it. If you wait until they start gunning it before offering a contract then you're practically giving other clubs a free crack.
Chill Zyzz, his dad said he is going nowhere, and as far as we know his dad isn't Judas Dawson.

Yes I am his dad

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hence my comment. And I want to thank you also for giving us some really good info from time to time. We understand that there has to be a certain amount of circumspection with your posts but each one you make is worth about 100 of mine. Sam is a gun and he is as well liked and respected on here as he obviously is with his team mates.

Hence my comment. And I want to thank you also for giving us some really good info from time to time. We understand that there has to be a certain amount of circumspection with your posts but each one you make is worth about 100 of mine. Sam is a gun and he is as well liked and respected on here as he obviously is with his team mates.
Very much one of my favourite players. Love his attack and determination at every contest.
Got a one handed contested mark which is etched in my mind. Can't remember which game.
Kicks goals when we need them. Harasses defenses. Love him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to the trade board (a Hawks supporter) North have offered Wicks a 4 year contract, presumably on quite a bit more money than we are offering him.
Another big contract offer from a bottom feeder club. There are some crap Vic clubs every year and they always have extra CAP.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Is this the welcome to Sydney thread or goodbye from Sydney thread?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It also doubles as the fu** off norf fred.
Poor bloke is confusing Wicks with his footy club. They did the whole hi Sydney, bye Sydney thing...... and on the Gold Coast....... and Canberra...... and soon to be Tasmania. It's almost as if nobody wants the stench of their shitty club.

Sam knows I engage with you guys and he thinks I am a try hard!
We had a laugh at the north Melbourne stuff.
Sam is very deeply ingrained at the swans so his contract is not a burning issue for the swans

Sam is very deeply ingrained at the swans so his contract is not a burning issue for the swans

Your one defence is that you signed up in 2016 when I doubt either of you thought Sam would make it to an AFL list :)

Tell him to stay away from game day threads lol

Also not that I think I ever have but realising that his father might be reading now I know I can't go off at Wicks on the game day threads anymore :$

There's a guy who used to post on the Carlton board who I believe is the grandfather of Lochie O'Brien and apparently he stopped posting there because of the abuse/vitriol directed in LOB's direction.
He was a long time Carlton supporter and obviously thrilled when his grandson was drafted by Carlton.
So disappointing that he had to step back from engaging with other Carlton fans on BF.

Gotta say if a relative was signed up by an AFL club I don't think I'd go near an online footy forum.
Mind you if I did sign up, reading some of the crap directed at players I'm surely sure I'd be banned fairly quickly anyway for reacting to abuse of the kid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back