Player Watch #15 Sam Wicks

Remove this Banner Ad

20200705_wicks_hero.jpg

Sam Wicks

Sam Wicks is a small forward with tidy skills below his knees and an outstanding awareness around goal. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product was rookie-listed in November 2018 and was a consistent stand-out for the Sydney Swans’ NEAFL side in 2019. He became Sydney's fifth debutant of season 2020 when he was named to face Collingwood in Round 10, before finishing the season with seven appearances to his name. Wicks heads into 2021 fighting names like Tom Papley, Ben Ronke, Lewis Taylor and Sam Gray for a spot in Sydney’s best 22.

Sam Wicks
DOB: 14 September 1999
DEBUT: 2020
DRAFT: #Undefined, 2018 Other
RECRUITED FROM: Manly-Warringah (NSW)/Sydney (NEAFL)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2+ sounds like there's a trigger in there

Not mentioned in the email or article it's two plus.

Just states two year extension.

Just got the email.
Great to see & he spoke very well
No reason why Sam can't kick 30 or so goals in a season the way he plays.
If he keeps doing his role he'll be one of the first picked in that forward line going forward.
Needs to tighten up his accuracy for sure

Better than Ding Dong
No idea who that is but pretty sure Wicks was less than 50% so if he can turn that to 75 he'll be closer to at least a goal a game forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wicks' accuracy was 48.6% this year. Not ideal, but it's easily redeemable.

In 2020, Tom Papley's accuracy was 49.1%; in 2019, Will Hayward's was 42.9%, and in 2017, Luke Parker's was 45.2%.

They were three of our better shots for goal this year.

I think the fact he managed 35 scoring shots in his first full year as a forward but didn't nail enough of his opportunities is hardly cause for concern.

Not mentioned in the email or article it's two plus.

Just states two year extension.

Going back over old releases when we say "at least until" that normally indicates trigger clauses in their contract

Going back over old releases when we say "at least until" that normally indicates trigger clauses in their contract

I would be surprised if the delay on the contract wasn't due specifically to the trigger clause. Whether it's trigger conditions, length, or a combo of both - it feels like 2 has always been agreed, it's just the extras they were sorting.

Wicks' accuracy was 48.6% this year. Not ideal, but it's easily redeemable.

In 2020, Tom Papley's accuracy was 49.1%; in 2019, Will Hayward's was 42.9%, and in 2017, Luke Parker's was 45.2%.

They were three of our better shots for goal this year.

I think the fact he managed 35 scoring shots in his first full year as a forward but didn't nail enough of his opportunities is hardly cause for concern.
Not complaining, just think it is an area to focus on for the summer. His pressure is outstanding

Accuracy is such a volatile thing because I reckon its mostly mental. Structural skill issues can be fixed with a few seasons if you have some good coaches, mentally its always tough.

Lindsay Thomas went from major yips to deadeye in one offseason, same with Lewis Jetta. Levi Casboult went from missing his foot to being semi-reliable for a little bit. Buddy went from being a mixed bag to very reliable after a year with Nick Davis.

Accuracy will fluctuate wildly for some players and probaby isnt worth critiquing too harshly or overanalysing.

Not complaining, just think it is an area to focus on for the summer. His pressure is outstanding
I wonder if that is because a pressure forward gets most of their opportunities by snapping the loose ball? I remember he had a game or two where he led well and he had some set shots, but without going over the games he probably had most of them under pressure.

I wonder if that is because a pressure forward gets most of their opportunities by snapping the loose ball? I remember he had a game or two where he led well and he had some set shots, but without going over the games he probably had most of them under pressure.
To me it mostly looked like a younger body still not quite able to grind out a full afl season yet. Was a lot fresher beginning of the year (and end of previous year) and was a very reliable shot for goal during those periods (eye test only, haven't looked at stats).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back