1st Test; Australia v Pakistan @ The Gabba November 21-25

Remove this Banner Ad

Always love seeing the disappointed reaction and shadow batting the shot when a true bunny gets out like they just threw away a ton.

McGrath used to do this all the time. He's spend ages replaying what should of been before he'd start to walk off. The next batsmen, if there was one, was usually only meters away when he did eventually trundle off....

With our openers we could easily be 2-20.... again.

Hey, great to see you've not changed your frequent predictions of doom and gloom since the Ashes.

How is the motivational speaking career going?

Predict, Aus 2-410 at stumps tomorrow. Burns 180no.

Last edited:
Warneys reached that point in the day where he's losing concentration. No Shane. Hazelwood does not look like Messi
He was talking about Yasir Shah

i

Excellent video. I recall some commentators during his career suggesting a cardboard box placed in front of stumps would be more effective and it would also save everyone 10 to 15 mins a match rather than watching him walk to the crease, scratch out an off stump line and take guard...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off to a solid start Pakistan. And done ok in the end to post there total.They will have to bowl well early tomorrow. If the Aussies post 400+ it's chequmate for Pakistan ,unless rain comes.

McGrath used to do this all the time. He's spend ages replaying what should of been before he'd start to walk off. The next batsmen, if there was one, was usually only meters away when he did eventually trundle off....

Actually, McGrath used to cop some absolute shocking decisions just because he was number 11. He's often wander off in bewilderment at yet another bad call.

Actually, McGrath used to cop some absolute shocking decisions just because he was number 11. He's often wander off in bewilderment at yet another bad call.

That's true, fortunately for Aus at the time they rarely had to rely on McGrath's contribution with the bat...

the two guys who hit a century each in that effort are both playing. Not against a pink ball. And both looked in reasonable touch today.
Azhar looked good, but wasn't trying to score runs against defensive bowling for most of his inninngs. Is in decline with the bat in a wider context and averages 27 in his last twelve digs if I remember correctly. Asad did well for sure though.

Azhar looked good, but wasn't trying to score runs against defensive bowling for most of his inninngs. Is in decline with the bat in a wider context and averages 27 in his last twelve digs if I remember correctly. Asad did well for sure though.

you’re right he has been out of form but I thought he went about his innings intelligently today until it went **** up obviously. He’s a guy who can spend a LOT of time at the crease and in the context of the venue and series I think crease occupation to begin with was the right way to go. He simply didn’t convert and make the most of the platform he’d set himself. 39 is nothing to write home about but it bodes well for him IMO.

Just seen a half hour highlights package. Looked a pretty intriguing day. One that was a bit for the purists, but good to see an old fashioned battle between bat and ball which has often not the case on Australian shores.

A few thoughts:

Mohammad Abbas - First thoughts was how has this guy been overlooked? As far as I would've thought he's their #1 bowler regardless of the conditions, form of other bowlers, the opposition. A strange one indeed for me. I can't fathom how he is not a selection lock at all times for Pakistan.

Babar Azam - Man I rate this guy, but he is still a tease at test level. That was a terrible shot today for a bloke on 1. It's worth remembering when Virat Kohli arrived on these shores for the 2014/15 season he had a formidable ODI record but only a modest test record that is a similar to what Babar's is now (26yo, 29 tests, average 39, 6 tons, 15 50+ scores v Babar 25yo, 21 tests, average 35, 1 ton, 12 50+ scores). The big difference there is conversions of 50's to 100's, but overall fairly similar so there is still plenty of time for Babar, but he's no longer just a young precocious talent. It's starting to get to time to see some scores to match. He's incredibly talented and it would be a real shame if the next time Pakistan tour Australia (in probably 5-6 years time) we are still talking about the potential of Babar, instead of his match winning performances.

The bowlers - Looked like a pretty typical solid Australian bowling performance. Consistency from Hazlewood and Cummins. Starc a bit inconsistent but rolled through the tail, which is something we've had an issue with over the years. The short bowling at the end was clearly a directive to not have to bat on day #1 so wouldn't be bothered about that. The final score of Gabba first innings when the openers have scored 50+ read 429, 4(d)/556, 408, 4(d)/551, 9(d)/602, 323, 492, 9(d)/486 and that's as far back as I could be bothered but you get the point. A good start at the Gabba on Day 1 usually means a big score, and we pegged them back pretty well considering, even though at 5/94 we were probably look at all out for less than 200, maybe even 150.

Joe Burns - He didn't normally field in slips in previous stints in the team did he? Maybe my memory is playing tricks but I remember him not being the best fieldsman running around. Unless the highlights didn't show him dropping any (which I doubt) looked pretty good in there today.

Mohammad Rizwan - Don't know much about this guy, but seen him bob up occasionally in the shorter formats. Looked pretty good today, and whilst it's early days Misbah is probably feeling somewhat smug about it right now cause that was a good counter recovery (But remember how smug England were after Ashes Day 1 in 17/18 when their 50/50 selections all made half tons? That worked out well). Regardless, the decision to jettison Safraz Ahmed in the aftermath of the world cup seems ridiculously reactive and it will be interesting to see how this one plays out over the next 12-24 months.

I reckon we are in for a very interesting summer. It's a shame Pakistan and New Zealand is unlikely to capture the public's imagination in the same way other countries will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back