1st Test Australia v West Indies Jan 17-21 1000hrs @ the Adelaide Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprising lack of "Bring back Davey" posts

Tumbleweed GIF

Nothing wrong with the pitch. A bit of sideways movement that Test batsmen should have been able to handle better than they did.
The curator disagrees.

Meanwhile, Adelaide Oval curator Damian Hough has admitted the pitch has been below par for this match.

The Test is set to finish in less than two and a half days, largely due to a pitch that has offered plenty for the fast bowlers.

The seam movement off the Adelaide Oval wicket has been tricky for batters, with both top orders collapsing at times.

Speaking on Fox Cricket, Adelaide Oval curator Damian Hough said the pitch preparation was the same as previous years but fell short of expectations.

“The biggest difference with this one is the grass variety,” Hough said.

“I put my hand up and say we probably haven’t quite got it perfect.

“We’re trying to find a contest between bat and ball. We want the players to shine. We want all facets to come out. I put my hand up and say we haven’t got this one quite right.

“I don’t think it’s the worst pitch ever to be played on but it’s just that inconsistency. I don’t like inconsistency early on especially on Days 1 and 2. We’ll keep tinkering with it and guarantee it’ll be better next year.”

Yeah, it would give us a glimpse into what they are thinking about for the future. I have genuinely no idea who would be next in line as a general batter.
Maybe Aaron Hardie. Has been whispers around about McSweeney potentially been named in the squad for the NZ series too (more as an experience thing rather than actually expecting him to play a role though)

Last edited:
I’d take any former Australian opener who is still breathing over Bancroft

totally agree. last thing a team out of form with the bat is a guy in form for the past two years, bring in renshaw and see if the last 12 failures were bad luck at test level!!! woo hooooo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

totally agree. last thing a team out of form with the bat is a guy in form for the past two years, bring in renshaw and see if the last 12 failures were bad luck at test level!!! woo hooooo
Not sure how many times it needs to be said in here, but Renshaw averages more in First Class cricket the last 2.5 years than Bancroft...

Not sure how many times it needs to be said in here, but Renshaw averages more in First Class cricket the last 2.5 years than Bancroft...
yeah and he averages 30 odd in the shield as an opener while Bancroft averages 50 plus

if ussie is injured Bancroft must be in the mix as a replacement

Is Khwaja out? It seemed a bad hit, but if no broken bones or actual concussion he might still play next test.
Maybe selectors will enforce a rest, gives another guy a chance to impress against a pretty good bowling attack

yeah and he averages 30 odd in the shield as an opener while Bancroft averages 50 plus

And * all in all the other first class cricket he has played. There's a reason Renshaw was picked and it's because he has scored runs across all the first class cricket he has played the last few years, Bancroft has not. I do not understand how this is so hard for people to grasp, like arguing with a wall. There is more to first class cricket than the shield

Is Khwaja out? It seemed a bad hit, but if no broken bones or actual concussion he might still play next test.
Maybe selectors will enforce a rest, gives another guy a chance to impress against a pretty good bowling attack
Don't know but it didn't look good...spitting blood on the field and they are pretty strict now with concussion

It'll be Renshaw, that's why he's in the squad.

And using Shield stats rather than FC is cherry-picking, - it leaves out Australia A/PM's XI matches where Renshaw performed better than Bancroft. (And it leaves in Renshaw's tests in India, where he hardly scored, so it works both ways.)

And * all in all the other first class cricket he has played. There's a reason Renshaw was picked and it's because he has scored runs across all the first class cricket he has played the last few years, Bancroft has not. I do not understand how this is so hard for people to grasp, like arguing with a wall.
except in shield cricket which has always been the barometer for test selection and always should be

thats why I care

I thought the pitch was poor, not because it finished in two days and not because I want a road. I love a sporting bowlers pitch that has pace & bounce offers something to bowlers who can hit a length and get some side ways movement but at least the ball comes onto the bat and you can make runs.

This pitch was just dead, it was slow, flat, uneven. Not good for batting and not even necessarily good for bowling, other than the unpredictability which caused some wickets but that doesn’t even reflect good bowling IMO.

Just a nothing pitch and it resulted in a nothing game, although playing WI didn’t help and feel for SA copping this two years in a row but still putting up great crowd numbers even today.

I really rate Lara’s call of playing an ODI if a game finishes under 3 days. Doesn’t even have to be an official ranked match, make it very cheap entry get a crowd in, stadium can make their money on the booze. Fans and ticket holders get at least something and the teams can have a bit of fun with it, they’ve still got an extra free day off anyway.

That’s a change which could actually add some positivity to test cricket

I think bouncers almost need to be confined to the past. The game needs to become a bit safer in my ( probably controversial) view.
Despite all the bouncers being bowled, it's still very rare for a batter to be hit by one. There are already restrictions on how many can be bowled in an over, and a bowler can be removed from the attack if the umpire deems it dangerous to the batter under law 41.6.

No need to change anything, IMO.

Back