1st test team of the summer

Remove this Banner Ad

The funny thing is, he was happy to stick the boot in to his other nemesis Mitchell Starc about his performance on this pitch being a true indication of his ability. Even though by his own admission the pitch is a road.
All I said is that he wasn't threatening to batsmen who play these conditions, which he wasn't.

Teams already just play each other once. How are you going to fit it in just over a week? You can't expect them to play every day...
Why not? A shield match is 4 days straight, and a test 5. Wouldn't do them any harm.

Chadd Sayers must be getting close too. It seems everytime I look he has another 3-4 wickets
Does Sayers swing it? I know he's not express. Always seems to get plenty of wickets. Put him in, M Marsh out, play 6 batters. (Sayers nickname is Leo BTW, not bad)

But they don't bowl every day. There are 10 more overs in a day and they have less breaks. They also play at a higher tempo.
Bad luck. They they get paid a lot, and they are professional cricketers, so play cricket boys. The bowlers only bowl 10 in a ODD anyway.

Shaun Marsh has to play and his brother has to be left out and go back and find a way to hold a bat
Warner, Burns, S Marsh, Smith, Voges, Khawaja, Nevill (reluctantly), Starc, Sayers, Hazlewood, Lyon.

Strong batting line up, 4 frontline bowlers, and Voges, Smith part timers.

Mennie vs Siddle for the 3rd seamer position. Is Siddle fit enough to play his workhorse role?

Bad luck. They they get paid a lot, and they are professional cricketers, so play cricket boys. The bowlers only bowl 10 in a ODD anyway.
But they bowl 10 overs flat chat. In Tests they bowl 20 overs in a day, but usually not the with same bravado because they are relied upon to bowl more overs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warner, Burns, S Marsh, Smith, Voges, Khawaja, Nevill (reluctantly), Starc, Sayers, Hazlewood, Lyon.

Strong batting line up, 4 frontline bowlers, and Voges, Smith part timers.
Strong batting lineup if you are playing on a road. Play away from a road and it's Trent Bridge.

Whether they go with burns or somebody else surely the allrounder delusion has to end at some point? we simply can't consistently win overseas with just 5 test batsmen so why do it to accommodate a bowler who bowls maybe 10-12 overs a day? It might even cost us a home series this particular summer as were are facing two attacks who potentially could run through our fragile lineup even on the flatter tracks.

Bird left out was a bit of a surprise just based on what he did in his last test, i thought he did pretty much exactly what we wanted from our third quick and helped make sure we weren't facing 300 batting last.

Burns would have every right to feel shafted. Khawaja did no better than him in SL yet gets his spot back, while blokes like Mitch Marsh and Nevill get picked with very poor recent form.

Why? Burns was hopeless in Sri Lanka. I'd rather play neither of them but SMarsh is opening so there is little need for Burns. I'm thankful Steyn would have made him look worse!

How MMarsh keeps getting selected is a joke! He can't bat!

Jeez our number 6 hasn't even made a 50 at home on our roads but they are worried about the number 11 and his batting ability?

Lucky McGrath didn't play in this era! He'd be stuffed!

Jeez our number 6 hasn't even made a 50 at home on our roads but they are worried about the number 11 and his batting ability?

They could be thinking that their bowling is basically equal so they might as well pick the best batsman.

Pretty content with that team. Would have preferred a Handscomb or Patterson over Voges. Having M Marsh and Nevill at 6 and 7 is a worry though. Then Marsh commenting on bird saying Mennie got in due to batting. Bizarre call.

Can't see Nevill being in the team come December.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back