Draft Review 2013 - Redo the 2013 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Was just thinking it's been an interesting year for this draft. I haven't seen a heap of opposition games this year so take all these comments with a handful of salt and not too seriously.

Cripps, Bont and Kelly a bit of a lull after looking incredible last couple years? Bont still handy with AA however, Jelly injured and Cripps sore constantly? Still easily top 3 from this draft however.

Rest of the top 10 is some interest reading.

Bookends (Boyd and Freeman) are done. Kelly and Bont ahead by a long way. Billings probably next step down. Then Salem and LMac. Rest look journeymen status, how's KK doing at Melbourne? Aish at his 3rd club has really slid off the radar, and Scharenberg is still going despite never being not injured?

Next 10 has had a few more careers ending with McCarthy finishing up, Lang delisted after a stint at the Blues, same with Apeness (I still remember saying 'who' to both of those guys while watching the draft live - realising it meant we were a chance at Acres and Dunstan - although I suppose they haven't exactly lived up to the hype either)

Not sure what a Ben Lennon is. Cripps obviously pretty handy. And Zac Jones starting to show he deserves to be in the conversation for top 10-15 of his draft class.

Zerrett, Crouch, Brown, Taylor, Lobb, Dumont all look to have gone close to reaching their ceiling. Barrass a pretty handy late pickup along with Sicily. Karl Amon a late bloomer for this draft as well perhaps? I see Charlie being included in the discussion despite being rookie draft.

Some players that were overlooked in this draft year which have proven to be pretty handy for my club include Jack Steele and Rowan Marshall. I wonder where they would have slotted in to this draft class.

Was just thinking it's been an interesting year for this draft. I haven't seen a heap of opposition games this year so take all these comments with a handful of salt and not too seriously.

Cripps, Bont and Kelly a bit of a lull after looking incredible last couple years? Bont still handy with AA however, Jelly injured and Cripps sore constantly? Still easily top 3 from this draft however.

Rest of the top 10 is some interest reading.

Bookends (Boyd and Freeman) are done. Kelly and Bont ahead by a long way. Billings probably next step down. Then Salem and LMac. Rest look journeymen status, how's KK doing at Melbourne? Aish at his 3rd club has really slid off the radar, and Scharenberg is still going despite never being not injured?

Next 10 has had a few more careers ending with McCarthy finishing up, Lang delisted after a stint at the Blues, same with Apeness (I still remember saying 'who' to both of those guys while watching the draft live - realising it meant we were a chance at Acres and Dunstan - although I suppose they haven't exactly lived up to the hype either)

Not sure what a Ben Lennon is. Cripps obviously pretty handy. And Zac Jones starting to show he deserves to be in the conversation for top 10-15 of his draft class.

Zerrett, Crouch, Brown, Taylor, Lobb, Dumont all look to have gone close to reaching their ceiling. Barrass a pretty handy late pickup along with Sicily. Karl Amon a late bloomer for this draft as well perhaps? I see Charlie being included in the discussion despite being rookie draft.

Some players that were overlooked in this draft year which have proven to be pretty handy for my club include Jack Steele and Rowan Marshall. I wonder where they would have slotted in to this draft class.
I know I’m gonna be the up in arms about my player guy but Zerrett has reached his ceiling but others haven’t? He’s just finished top 10 in the coaches votes, prior AA (probably should’ve at least been in the 40 this year), dual B&F’s and polled double digit Brownlow votes each of the last 4 years. He’s 24 years old and missed about 8 games in his career as well. Moving forwards I’d take him over anyone other than Bont/Cripps and maybe Kelly. Interesting that these guys all started with a bang early in their careers but agree with what you’ve said, an interesting year for this draft.

I know I’m gonna be the up in arms about my player guy but Zerrett has reached his ceiling but others haven’t? He’s just finished top 10 in the coaches votes, prior AA (probably should’ve at least been in the 40 this year), dual B&F’s and polled double digit Brownlow votes each of the last 4 years. He’s 24 years old and missed about 8 games in his career as well. Moving forwards I’d take him over anyone other than Bont/Cripps and maybe Kelly. Interesting that these guys all started with a bang early in their careers but agree with what you’ve said, an interesting year for this draft.

I mean it's a damn good ceiling! Perhaps unfair to include him in that bracket (It was a very harsh comment to make on all of them to be fair). How many players improve dramatically from this point though do you reckon? I keep crossing my fingers Billings will but he's proven to be an eternal tease, even throughout this year! A good finals performance will help his reputation and he certainly loves playing the Dogs....

Bont started slowly, but after that he was very, very good. He ended up 6th in the AFLPA player of the year, second in the AFLPA captain of the year and 6th in the AFLCA player of the year. He comfortably has achieved the most from anyone in this draft to date.

Far too long between decent games for Raz to still be top 10.
Still think Merrett is top 5 though. He's been a little hot and cold since the concussions.

1-Bont
2-Cripps
3-Merrett
4-Brown
5-Kelly
6-Cameron
7-Billings
8-Sicily
9-Salem
10-Barass

Not sure whether it's the sight of him continually tearing us to shreds but i've gone Bont @ 1 now.
You could perhaps revise this now...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Bont
2. Merrett
3. Sicily
4. Kelly
5. Cripps (he's completely shot now though)
6. Brown
7. Nank
8. Alir
9. M.Crouch
10. Salem
11. Billings
12. Barrass
13. Byrne Jones
14. Impey
15. Fantasia
16. Jones
17. Sheed
18. McDonald
19. Lobb
20. Aish

I just don’t agree with selecting ruckman that high in the draft. They pretty much need to be stars of the competition for the investment to pay off.

1. Bont
2. Merrett
3. Sicily
4. Kelly
5. Cripps (he's completely shot now though)
6. Brown
7. Nank
8. Alir
9. M.Crouch
10. Salem
11. Billings
12. Barrass
13. Byrne Jones
14. Impey
15. Fantasia
16. Jones
17. Sheed
18. McDonald
19. Lobb
20. Aish
For me:

1. Bont
2. Merrett
3. Kelly
4. Cripps
5. Sicily
6. Brown
7. Aliir
8. Crouch
9. Salem
10. Billings
11. Barrass
12. Byrne-Jones
13. Sheed
14. Nankervis
15. Fantasia
16. Impey
17. Jones
18. McDonald
19. Lobb
20. Aish

For me:

1. Bont
2. Merrett
3. Kelly
4. Cripps
5. Sicily
6. Brown
7. Aliir
8. Crouch
9. Salem
10. Billings
11. Barrass
12. Byrne-Jones
13. Sheed
14. Nankervis
15. Fantasia
16. Impey
17. Jones
18. McDonald
19. Lobb
20. Aish

Darcy Gardner stiff. Wonder if Alex Pearce can get a good run at it and climb these rankings

Darcy Gardner stiff. Wonder if Alex Pearce can get a good run at it and climb these rankings
I forgot he was this draft. Yeah, he'll go ahead of Aish, Lobb and McDonald.

at this point, i'd put Merrett ahead of Bont ever so slightly given his consistency and ball use being better.
And then i'll get slayed on here, so i won't post a list :p
Only an Essendon supporter could entertain a thought like that.

Merrett is a very good neat player.

Bont has moved to a level that is way beyond others from his draft year.

Only an Essendon supporter could entertain a thought like that.

Merrett is a very good neat player.

Bont has moved to a level that is way beyond others from his draft year.
Bont has always been the best of this draft.

The fact Merrett is clearly top 4 despite getting taken at 26 is fantastic for us though

Think he might be clearly second. Especially if you base it on output
I have it as:

1. Bont
Daylight
2-4: Merrett, Cripps, Kelly
Daylight
The rest.

Still, great drafting by Dodoro

I have it as:

1. Bont
Daylight
2-4: Merrett, Cripps, Kelly
Daylight
The rest.

Still, great drafting by Dodoro
Agree - although you can easily make a case for Merrett being a clear 2nd. Cripps and Kelly have battled injuries where as Merrett has been playing at a consistent high level each year.

Bont is the challenging Dusty as the number 1 player in the comp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back