List Mgmt. 2014 Draft Trade FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an article, Richardson stated that you need to pay big for a quality FF and this is the best way to get one (obviously Boyd and Franklin has spooked the industry)

Isn't the flaw in this logic that is if McCartin is any good he can not renew after two years and go to a club with a lazy mill a year to offer him?

I think it is not a thought through argument. We put two years development into McCartin,

WCE for example offer him a mill for 7 years, we cant match it, they pick him up as a DFAor even through PSD.

We are again down on a quality FF and don't have Petracca either.

I don't buy it.

You could say that about any player Joff.

When it's all said & done very few gun players leave clubs. Especially Victorian kids at Melbourne based clubs.

Paddy will grow with the tight bunch of kids we already have & be a long term Saint

In an article, Richardson stated that you need to pay big for a quality FF and this is the best way to get one (obviously Boyd and Franklin has spooked the industry)

Isn't the flaw in this logic that is if McCartin is any good he can not renew after two years and go to a club with a lazy mill a year to offer him?

I think it is not a thought through argument. We put two years development into McCartin,

WCE for example offer him a mill for 7 years, we cant match it, they pick him up as a DFAor even through PSD.

I don't buy it.
Totally agree on these comments, i think it just shows we as a club considering our financial loses will not be in a position in the near future to offer an opposition clubs forward any decent coin on the plus side McCartin will wear the famous number 4 jumper.

When it's all said & done very few gun players leave clubs. Especially Victorian kids at Melbourne based clubs.

Paddy will grow with the tight bunch of kids we already have & be a long term Saint

Yes you are totally correct and that's the point

Stating it as a reason to draft a Key Forward doesn't really stand up in my opinion.

I am sure this is not the sole reason though if they do select the Colac Adonis

haven't got the link, but I am sure there was an article and Richo was quoted regarding the cost of a Key Forward.

It has been quoted numerous times.

then show me one of these numerous times? You could be right, but I've never read or heard Richo say that the best way to go get a key forward was to go and pay big for one. Seems to contradict the 5 year plan the club put in place where they said they wouldn't have anyone player on huge amount of coin, but rather have heaps spread out evenly (ala Geelong 07-11)

Reckon we'll have more chance of matching any offer for Paddy in 2 years time than matching Eddie's offer for the new FIGJAM (which would no doubt include mega bucks, Collingwood captaincy and exclusive 24 hour access to the Presidential Suite :p)

Big enough to rent out to show IMAX features on it? :)
Haha moving big screen on the ground, just project it onto his head.

He wears an aqua head band at training to apparently to push his hair back further.

Stating it as a reason to draft a Key Forward doesn't really stand up in my opinion.

I think the quote was along the lines of "you can either draft a KF or pay through the nose for one".

It was also probably selectively chosen by the journo to appear like Richo was saying 'we're taking Paddy because we don't want to have to throw 10mil at Jezza Cameron'.

Totally agree on these comments, i think it just shows we as a club considering our financial loses will not be in a position in the near future to offer an opposition clubs forward any decent coin on the plus side McCartin will wear the converted number 4 jumper.

Don't know about that.

Matt Finnis stated not more than two months ago that we are red hot on FA in 2016. maybe they don't want to go into panic mode like the WB and over inflate a raw youngster with potential.

May be OK with $650-750 a year but baulk at $1 mill a year.

Don't worry about the losses or debt. We are worth much more to the AFL than $9 mill.

They will prop us up and we can afford a FA.

I just don't buy it for a reason to draft a Key Forward, that's all.

We'll still chase Cameron next year. I don't think chasing Paddy eliminates that option.

Jez at CHF, Paddy in the square & Spencaaaaa tearing along the wing.
I can see us targeting a midfielder like Shiel, Treloar or even Danger possibly. Exciting few years coming up, I think as soon as we start to gel together and the results improve we'll land a massive fish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

joop Joffaboy this the article and comment in question..

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-25/st-kildas-toughest-call

Richardson said a club in St Kilda's position could not ignore the magnitude of the Franklin and Boyd deals.

"If we go for the best player and we think Petracca is in front, we’re going to have to pay a million plus to get the forward we need. The market is saying that now. So let's get one in now and get him to fall in love with our footy club.

"We’re going to get a fantastic footballer into our organisation either way. It is a tough one.”

joop Joffaboy this the article and comment in question..

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-25/st-kildas-toughest-call

Richardson said a club in St Kilda's position could not ignore the magnitude of the Franklin and Boyd deals.

"If we go for the best player and we think Petracca is in front, we’re going to have to pay a million plus to get the forward we need. The market is saying that now. So let's get one in now and get him to fall in love with our footy club.

"We’re going to get a fantastic footballer into our organisation either way. It is a tough one.”

Thanks buddy, so yeh he was more saying thats the direction you would have to take. They've thought this out very well IMO, this rebuild isn't going to be decided by 1 draft.

then show me one of these numerous times? You could be right, but I've never read or heard Richo say that the best way to go get a key forward was to go and pay big for one. Seems to contradict the 5 year plan the club put in place where they said they wouldn't have anyone player on huge amount of coin, but rather have heaps spread out evenly (ala Geelong 07-11)

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2014-11-25/making-the-tough-call

"...Richardson said a club in St Kilda's position could not ignore the magnitude of the Franklin and Boyd deals.

"If we go for the best player and we think Petracca is in front, we’re going to have to pay a million plus to get the forward we need. The market is saying that now. So let's get one in now and get him to fall in love with our footy club...."

Want me to come over and read it to you as well - Fair Dinkum

Joffa never said Richardson said that. Read his post a bit more closely before going off half-cocked.

Here's the article.

In 9 hours, we find out if Petracca is a very driven, highly talented gun and McCartin is a fat, one dimensional lump, or if McCartin is the second coming of Plugger and Petracca is an arrogant shit!

I don't buy it.

Joffa never said Richardson said that. Read his post a bit more closely before going off half-cocked.

Here's the article.
Sorry if i misread the situation. Its been taken onboard not to question certain people on this board as they are easily offended. Happy Draft day folks.

I love your passion Joffa!!

From what I've seen (not much) more read and listened, there is not much between the two kids - they both have their pros and they both have their cons. If that is the case then don't other factors play a part in the decision? Much easier to recruit a giant and get a free agency mid then the other way around. That has to be considered. We are a poor club financially - that also has to be considered (not a major factor but has to be considered).

The Bulldogs over reached with Boyd re salary and will pay for that (no pun intended) down the track. It's a very risky move by them and I think it will blow up in their face as it will force other talented youngsters out. Franklin was simply a ridiculous amount of money and they used COLA to do it. We've already seen players being pushed out in Sydney and will continue to do so.

I'm just happy that we can potentially have another one-club full forward, the idea of trading one in never quite had that romance for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back