Toast 2014 National Draft, pick #50 - Welcome to the Hawks Marc Pittonet

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year listed as 97kg, this year 105. Ready?

I'd probably say he's still one year away from being truly ready.

Pittonet's always been a seriously big unit - coincidentally he's also always been a good tap ruckman - but his endurance has been lacking. Often at Box Hill games you'll find that in the first half of a game he dominates or at the very least goes even with other ruckman (some AFL caliber) and also follows it up with big crunching tackles at the contest. But when his endurance runs out and his ability to jump in the ruck falters, you'll often find that other ruckman start climbing over the top of him (sometimes quite literally). This problem was exacerbated last year when he was pretty much the solo ruckman at Box Hill and towards the end of the season he had some really poor games where it looked like he was fatigued from the start. It just reinforced the idea that you need at least two ruckman in this day and age, or at the very least a chop out ruck.

Back on topic, Pittonet needs two things to work on this season: 1) his endurance and 2) his forward prowess. A welcome break during the offseason followed by another preseason conditioning his body after a particularly gruelling season last year will definitely increase his endurance (I'd estimate 3 consistent quarters now) but the sheer amount of running done at AFL level eclipses that of the VFL. He also rarely kicks goals which he does need to work on.

With Fitzy now an emergency, Ceglar gone for most of (if not all) of 2017 and McEvoy having well known back issues, Pittonet will probably play 10 or more games next season and he'll look very good in some of them and somewhat average in others. However, it's 2018 that gets me really excited for this big unit.

Great post VandoHawk. Really looking forward to this kids development. Looks a player and hopefully can finally be that quality ruckman we develop finally.

He's a big lump of a lad, and has shown some really good signs, so fingers crossed the development continues and Monkey can get this kids up and going

From memory, Pitts has always been a Hawks fan and even rocked up to Clarko's house in a Hawks guernsey for dinner shortly after being drafted. If I've got the right guy and story, I love that about the bloke. I'm a massive wrap for his tap work and second efforts from what little I've seen at AFL level so far. Just needs to add a second string to his bow, be it marking around the ground, or becoming more of a presence up forward.

I seem to recall he wasn't a Hawk fan, but as soon as he was drafted, family members rocked up to his house and presented him with a Hawk jumper, hence he became a Hawk fan.

I could have got it mixed up, though.

He needs to develop some mongrel too. Not sure this is a natural part of his game.

Great post vando. Agree re his patchy form at box hill. Carried a fair load.
Watching him live late last year I thought he really showed some signs that aggression was becoming apart of his game. In comparison to his early game in the season his tackling and second efforts has gone to another level which really impressed me. Would love to see him find find a permanent spot.

At junior footy he had a rep for some aggro. Have not really seen at BHH. He has a crack but would like to see him being a bit more disruptive in packs and marking contests. He does block and shepherds which has not been a hallmark of our rucks since Robbie Campbell.

Always had a soft spot for Cambell. Somewhat underrated IMO.

Campbell was probably our best ruckman of the last decade. If Max Bailey had been fit, maybe not, but I think on career performance, Robbie wins for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He needs to develop some mongrel too. Not sure this is a natural part of his game.

Great post vando. Agree re his patchy form at box hill. Carried a fair load.

I was of the view he had that. He even said when drafted he sees himself like Mumford.

Campbell was probably our best ruckman of the last decade. If Max Bailey had been fit, maybe not, but I think on career performance, Robbie wins for mine.
To have a ruckman go back and play on Barry Hall at full back says a lot about his versatility and character. Absolute legend in my eyes!

Pitto needs to just work between the arcs, and let the forward and back ruck contests to other players. I thought he showed great promise last year with his tapping, and second and third efforts. I didn't think he lacked aggression, but that's just how I saw his games. I think he is one who could surprise opposition camps this year.

I loved the way Robbie would relish smashing any opposition onballers who came within arms reach after contesting the ball ups.

RC didn't start with that. In fact he was almost embarrassed by his size, and on the wrong end of it when he began. Line in the sand happened partly as a result of him getting smashed in a tackle by one of the tiny Johnson's running round for the scum.

By the time the end came prematurely, he was beast like in his attack on the man.

Great illustration of how it can go a different way to the way it has for a few big guys we've let go over recent years.

Pitto needs to just work between the arcs, and let the forward and back ruck contests to other players. I thought he showed great promise last year with his tapping, and second and third efforts. I didn't think he lacked aggression, but that's just how I saw his games. I think he is one who could surprise opposition camps this year.
If Pitto can take a big step up this year than that will be huge for us. Our new look midfield would become one of the most potent in the league with a ruckman who can tap it down their throats and follow up with some crunching tackles. I don't think we'll be getting much of either of those things from McEvoy, Vickery or Fitzpatrick, and Ceglar out until at least mid/late season. Leaves the job to Pitto, with Roughy maybe making a cameo appearance.

I always loved roving to an enforcer of a ruckman, too often though they are reluctant to hurt someone. Perhaps the answer is to put him in the octagon with Hodge or Clarko, just to fire him up. We really need him to step up this year if it is to be McEvoys last.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

RC didn't start with that. In fact he was almost embarrassed by his size, and on the wrong end of it when he began. Line in the sand happened partly as a result of him getting smashed in a tackle by one of the tiny Johnson's running round for the scum.

By the time the end came prematurely, he was beast like in his attack on the man.

Great illustration of how it can go a different way to the way it has for a few big guys we've let go over recent years.
From memory, Daniel Chick had a similar journey.

At junior footy he had a rep for some aggro.

Can confirm. Younger brother player junior footy with him and Pitto use to throw his weight around as he was quite larger than most of the other younger blokes.

Like most have said I think this year the club will want him to build up his tank a bit more in the reserves so that he'll be able to run out and compete for entire games of AFL football.

I've been keeping a close eye on Pittonet through his year in the VFL, and he's only lowered his colours twice in that entire time - once to Meese who is incredibly experienced, and the other to Maric and Soldo (he was injured at the time, rested the next week I believe).

He's also added goal kicking and marking to his game - averaging huge hit outs. There's a massive amount of promise with that kid and I'm excited to see what value he adds in the future.

Not
I've been keeping a close eye on Pittonet through his year in the VFL, and he's only lowered his colours twice in that entire time - once to Meese who is incredibly experienced, and the other to Maric and Soldo (he was injured at the time, rested the next week I believe).

He's also added goal kicking and marking to his game - averaging huge hit outs. There's a massive amount of promise with that kid and I'm excited to see what value he adds in the future.
for me to tell the story but I believe Pitt's form took a turn for the better this yr after a strong chat with Monkey ....

Not

for me to tell the story but I believe Pitt's form took a turn for the better this yr after a strong chat with Monkey ....

It's just his second year on the list isn't it....?
Not like he's been stagnating and needing a royal ass chewing.
I'm super excited for this kid.
Think he's Preuss like and can be every bit as good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back