List Mgmt. 2016 NAB Draft Picks #9 and #19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm fine taking Logue but only if Scrimshaw isn't available.

Scrimshaw is the 2nd closest player to the prototype midfielder of Bont/Fyfe etc. A bit light of frame right now but that will come.

I'm sure by now that everyone has noticed how much I want Sydney to draft this kid haha.

I feel West Coast would have picked him at 12. That's why we traded up.

West Coast fans would riot if they didn't pick a genuine mid to help Priddis out. They have a lot of outsides, but very little inside mids.

9 Marshall (or Logue... i think we go tall either way).
19 Best available midfielder. Let's say Jy Simpkin, but who knows who's there at 19.

If we go tall at 9, I might go nuts! This isn't the draft to go tall, 2017 is. We don't need talls for next season. What we need is speed through the middle and linebreaking speed through defence.

Scrimshaw/SPS at 9 (or someone like that)- Taranto would have been the only forward type I'd consider here (he will go to Carlton probably)

19 is tough but I'd like a genuine outside runner or winger.

Grundy is 192, Rance is 194. Logue at 193 is more than tall enough considering his athletic abilities.

Physical strength and/or a good leap matches height any day. But if you're closer to 190 than 195 you need footy smarts and plenty of help upfield if the coach is going to put you anywhere near a monster.

193 for Logue seems bang on if he's athletic and can play.

Twomy rated him at 17 in September on the basis he played in the midfield and got 33 possessions and even pinch hit as a ruckman. And he thinks the Swans like him.

If he can play tall but stand in the midfield a la JPK and bust through the lines he certainly sounds interesting.

If we go tall at 9, I might go nuts! This isn't the draft to go tall, 2017 is. We don't need talls for next season. What we need is speed through the middle and linebreaking speed through defence.

Scrimshaw/SPS at 9 (or someone like that)- Taranto would have been the only forward type I'd consider here (he will go to Carlton probably)

19 is tough but I'd like a genuine outside runner or winger.
Yes, but next year we might have pick 17 or 18, not 9. What's the point in a draft with lots of talls, if the best ones are gone before our first pick anyway?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a little lost over the Logue love. Defense is not an area we lack, it's never been an area we have really lacked. We lack good kicks, speed and a real forward after Buddy.

The club will go after whoever is the best kick at that pick. Just check out our MO after last draft. They said repeatably they wanted kids with elite kicking.

I would not like to go with him even if he was still available at our first pick. I see him as a similar to Jetta - will play a good game or two and then go missing for a few weeks.
Nothing like Jetta at all
He's hard in and under and more inside than outside
Speed is average
Agility and very 2 sided . Nothing like Jetta at all really

Yes, but next year we might have pick 17 or 18, not 9. What's the point in a draft with lots of talls, if the best ones are gone before our first pick anyway?

This is what I am thinking, especially as the past 2 years we have had arguably the best mids in the draft and we still have pick 19 in this draft where there will be several mids still available.

I'm a little lost over the Logue love. Defense is not an area we lack, it's never been an area we have really lacked. We lack good kicks, speed and a real forward after Buddy.

The club will go after whoever is the best kick at that pick. Just check out our MO after last draft. They said repeatably they wanted kids with elite kicking.

I think Logue is an exciting prospect. Great size, high athletic ability and a big boot. His 3km time and 15.1 beep test backs up the claims he's a potential midfielder which would finally give JPK a big bodied partner. I don't think he'd start in the mids but could certainly pinch hit through there.

Just getting the best kick isn't ideal for Sydney. Jetta was a great kick!

I think Logue is an exciting prospect. Great size, high athletic ability and a big boot. His 3km time and 15.1 beep test backs up the claims he's a potential midfielder which would finally give JPK a big bodied partner. I don't think he'd start in the mids but could certainly pinch hit through there.

Just getting the best kick isn't ideal for Sydney. Jetta was a great kick!
And without Jetta we wouldn't have won in '12. While he may not be the best we need a team which has more than one aspect. The Swans are very one directional and SOME good kicks would be ideal. We rely heavily on McVeigh & Lloyd.

Last year the Swans said "Our main strategy in the draft was to try to improve our kicking skills, we lost 'Jetts' (Lewis Jetta) and 'Shawry' (Rhyce Shaw), and (Nick) Malceski the year before, and we were a bit light on for guys who could really kick it." This won't change. We still haven't replaced those three. It'll be kicks first then everything else

And without Jetta we wouldn't have won in '12. While he may not be the best we need a team which has more than one aspect. The Swans are very one directional and SOME good kicks would be ideal. We rely heavily on McVeigh & Lloyd.

Last year the Swans said "Our main strategy in the draft was to try to improve our kicking skills, we lost 'Jetts' (Lewis Jetta) and 'Shawry' (Rhyce Shaw), and (Nick) Malceski the year before, and we were a bit light on for guys who could really kick it." This won't change. We still haven't replaced those three. It'll be kicks first then everything else

I don't think anyone would argue that we're short on foot skills (might argue that Shaw was a butcher half the time though), but I can't see us trading up to pick 9 to take a guy who's just a good kick. It makes a lot more sense that we'd be targeting a specific player and Logue is just one who stands out and it'd make sense for us to want to leapfrog West Coast.

I don't think Logue is the only option for pick 9 and if other top prospects slide we could well go someone totally different. It's only speculation at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back