SgtSchulz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2014
Bob McLean Sportsbar
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Mark Webber
Surprised no one made this thread at the start of the year.

A look at our fixture suggests that the slim pickings of blockbusters didn't excite anyone enough.

Anyway, here is my analysis based purely on our home form during the H&A against non-local opposition.

HOME ATTENDANCES (excludes Showdowns & Finals)
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 10.52.39 PM.png

SUMMARIES
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 11.17.03 PM.png

Would it be fair to say that the gloss of the new stadium has worn off on those who just wanted to see the stadium? This would be the average NON Attendance figure, at this point in time.

Yeah sat arvos suck. Personally I'm playing footy so can't make them.

I don't get why if all Vic clubs cry about sunday games, the AFL only give us two of them at home, when we clearly prefer them to those shitty saturday arvo slots which the Vic clubs prefer.

Our home fixture was pretty shitty this year, but we didn't help ourselves by only getting 38k to the Thursday night slot against Hawthorn. Really should have been 45k+.

I remember thinking, as I was leaving AO after the Melbourne game in 2011, that the undeveloped oval with a capacity of 30k was perfect for us. I still think that 30-35k is a realistic crowd target given our supporter base. Anything over that is us punching above our weight. The crows have more supporters, that is clear, so 50k is OK for them. Unfortunately, we can't have both, a 50k and a 30k stadium in Adelaide.

Last edited:
I remember thinking, as I was leaving AO after the Melbourne game in 2011, that the undeveloped oval with a capacity of 30k was perfect for us. I still think that 30-35k is a realistic crowd target given a supporter base. Anything over that is us punching above our weight. The crows have more supporters, that is clear, so 50k is OK for them. Unfortunately, we can't have both, a 50k and a 30k stadium in Adelaide.

We will eventually match with them supporters-wise. I could bet we have cut the difference in the last 20 years.

I remember thinking, as I was leaving AO after the Melbourne game in 2011, that the undeveloped oval with a capacity of 30k was perfect for us. I still think that 30-35k is a realistic crowd target given a supporter base. Anything over that is us punching above our weight. The crows have more supporters, that is clear, so 50k is OK for them. Unfortunately, we can't have both, a 50k and a 30k stadium in Adelaide.

You're being way too conservative here Zorro.

Our home crowd average this year is approx 38,600 and that includes bullshit figures like the 39,979 (how close can we get without saying 40k?!) recorded for the Saturday night Richmond game.

You're being way too conservative here Zorro.

Our home crowd average this year is approx 38,600 and that includes bullshit figures like the 39,979 (how close can we get without saying 40k?!) recorded for the Saturday night Richmond game.
Yes, but for how long? I'd rather sell out a 35k stadium most rounds long term than having the odd 50k crowd when things are all going our way. Given that Adelaide's population basically doesn't grow, I don't see our supporter base growing significantly over the next few years. Nevertheless, the comparisons with the crows are not realistic, or useful.

I don't get why if all Vic clubs cry about sunday games, the AFL only give us two of them at home, when we clearly prefer them to those shitty saturday arvo slots which the Vic clubs prefer.

Our home fixture was pretty shitty this year, but we didn't help ourselves by only getting 38k to the Thursday night slot against Hawthorn. Really should have been 45k+.
I hate sunday games as do the players. Yuk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does any other sport in the world care about how many people watch the game live as much as we do?
I think it is always a factor but I am sure that no other team in the world has its crowds scrutinised to the level Ports' are.

Yes, but for how long? I'd rather sell out a 35k stadium most rounds long term than having the odd 50k crowd when things are all going our way. Given that Adelaide's population basically doesn't grow, I don't see our supporter base growing significantly over the next few years. Nevertheless, the comparisons with the crows are not realistic, or useful.
The redeveloped AO is great, but part of me wishes the upgrades had been fairly minor and it'd just have been us playing there, with Adelaide left at the swamp.

All of them.

dont-believe-you.gif

Does any other sport in the world care about how many people watch the game live as much as we do?
Only one NRL club, Brisbane the only team in a city with a population of 2.3M, has an average home attendance this season greater than 20K. Sydney Roosters are the club in a city of 5M people to have an average above 15K.

Previously to that game we had lost 3/9 last home games (exc Showdown).

We aren't an exciting team to watch anymore.

If we were a dour, ruthlessly clinical team that managed to win most weeks we'd be getting more through the gates. Most people don't go to the football for the KFC Big Bash experience, they go to see their team hopefully dismantle the opposition, and the club has probably failed in this regard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back