Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope we use the pick to do something awesome....doesn't matter what. Just use it to get max value out of it and get what will make our team better.

Maybe the next Pav or Fyfe would be good..no pressure recruiting team.

Or use it to trade in a Hogan type.

Doesn't matter how we spend it as long as we use it wisely.

Haha. Obviously!

Bennell, Hill, Hamling, Matera and maybe Wilson in 3 years. I'd say we already own the status

Hey i'll be on board once Jack Martin, Steven May, Shai Bolton and SPS all request trades to Freo ;) Oh and Barry Cable comes out of retirement to be an indigenous development coach with Gerard Neesham running the academy

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-28/cal-twomeys-phantom-form-guide-september-edition

Phantom_guide_01.jpg

POS:
Half-forward/midfielder, Ht 187cm, Wt 88kg, DOB 21/10/1999
From Western Jets/Vic Metro
August ranking: 1

Rayner's season ended in August when he played his final game for the Western Jets against Gippsland Power. The explosive and exciting prospect didn't have one of his best outings of the year (he collected 18 disposals), but he always impacts a game in some way. The 17-year-old played out the final few weeks of his year with a fracture in his hand, but it didn't change his ability to mark above his head, tackle ferociously, attack the contest with vigour, and make things happen. Rayner is one of a couple of leading contenders for the No.1 pick and is a genuine game-changing player.

Check out the AFL.com.au draft hub

Phantom_guide_02.jpg

POS: Midfielder, Ht 187cm, Wt 85kg, DOB 8/6/1999
From Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country
August ranking: 2

Davies-Uniacke's elimination final performance for the Dandenong Stingrays was one of the best games by a draft prospect this season. The powerful and strong midfielder gathered 33 disposals (21 contested), six clearances, five inside-50s and kicked a goal and willed his side across the line after it trailed by 50 points at half-time. It was the type of performance you want from a No.1 pick contender, and after a season that has been up and down at times for Davies-Uniacke, it underlined his potential. Will be playing a fair bit of AFL footy next year.

Riding the wave all the way to the draft: Luke Davies-Uniacke

Phantom_guide_03.jpg

POS: Midfielder, Ht 186cm, Wt 85kg, DOB 7/10/1999
From Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro
August ranking: 3

Shoulder surgery ended Cerra's season earlier than he would have liked, but not before he was able to show himself to be one of the leading midfielders available at this year's draft. Cerra is a nice and composed kick of the ball, he can get out of trouble with ease and he makes players around him better by putting them into space and opening up the game. He's also very tough and lays tackles, hits hard and gets up and does it again. His class would be a nice addition to any club.

Phantom_guide_04.jpg

POS: Midfielder, Ht 184cm, Wt 78kg, DOB 16/10/1999
From Bendigo Pioneers/Vic Country
August ranking: 4

There aren't many players in this year's draft who have the same combination of qualities as Dow: he's quick, tough, good around goal and rarely plays a bad game. He's also versatile, and can be placed all over the ground and have an impact. Dow's last game of the season was one of his best – he picked up 35 disposals, six clearances, seven inside-50s and two goals against Gippsland Power but also hurt his shoulder. He required surgery on that, but he's expected to be back into most training by the start of his first AFL pre-season.

Road to the Draft podcast

Phantom_guide_05.jpg

POS: Half-forward, Ht 189cm, Wt 76kg, DOB 15/1/1999
From Eastern Ranges/Vic Metro
August ranking: 6

Stephenson's season started a little slowly but he really got going after the championships when he became more familiar with his role in the midfield. It would have been easy for Stephenson to spend the majority of this season parked inside 50 and dominate games there. But instead he went into the midfield, learnt his craft there and started to really establish himself in that role as well. He finished his season with 30 disposals, 11 tackles, six clearances and a goal in Eastern's elimination final defeat. Quick, exciting and capable of some eye-catching moments.

Phantom_guide_06.jpg

POS: Key defender/key forward, Ht 194cm, Wt 89kg, DOB 11/2/1999
From Bendigo Pioneers/Allies
August ranking: 5

It's still hard to know which end of the ground Brander plays his best footy, because he has had some top-end games in both the back 50 and forward 50. Either way, he remains probably the outstanding key position player in this pool. His versatility is handy in that respect, and clubs will differ in where they view him playing at the next level. His marking and kicking is good for a big man and he reads the game pretty well. His best games this season included an excellent final game of the division one carnival for the Allies when he booted three goals.

Phantom_guide_07.jpg

POS: Half-forward/midfielder, Ht 192cm, Wt 92kg, DOB 25/9/1999
From Glenelg/South Australia
August ranking: 7

Fogarty will remain one of the most difficult players to assess come draft time because his season wasn't what he would have hoped it could be, particularly given his bright start for the NAB AFL Academy in April. Despite that, the South Australian remains his state's best draft prospect and has a nice blend of skills: he's big, strong, powerful, tough, a good mark and kick, and has a natural footy sense to him that will endear him to supporters. Unfortunately a nagging knee injury that he carried through the national carnival finally required surgery, and his season ended in July.

Darcy Fogarty looks to be the top South Australian talent headed to the draft. Picture: AFL Photos

Stephenson would probably be our best fit but talk is North want him. I would be happy with any of the above but least interested in Cerra (for some reason)

I don't quite get what is so good about Cerra, LDU and Dow. What the hell would I know from watching some short YouTube videos, but I've seen little to get me excited. They seem like the sort of players that would fit in well down at WC with Sheed, Duggan, Masten and Gaff.

If you watch Fogarty's clips, he seems to have much more of an impact. At least to my eyes. He is taking the game on, sidestepping, being physical, etc.

Would be happy with any of Rayner, Stephenson or Fogarty. At least one should still be there if we keep #5.

Stephenson would probably be our best fit but talk is North want him. I would be happy with any of the above but least interested in Cerra (for some reason)

Agree about Cerra, he's not doing it for me either for some reason. I'd add Brander to the list of don't want also. To me he's more of what we've got in Logue and Cox. I don't feel that we need him. Therefore Coffield moves down to 5. I could live with Fogerty if Lloyd and co think he's the one but I'd prefer Stephenson, Coffield or Rayner if he somehow fell to us.

Dow and Cerra seem pretty safe.. nothing stands out, but i think they'll be good 200 game players. I can see it more with Dow.. Cerra must have showed a bit more throughout the year than what i saw in the u 18's champs to be rated that high.

Im now pretty settled on Fogarty, Stephenson, Brayshaw, Higgins, Brander if we go tall

In that order

Agree about Cerra, he's not doing it for me either for some reason. I'd add Brander to the list of don't want also. To me he's more of what we've got in Logue and Cox. I don't feel that we need him. Therefore Coffield moves down to 5. I could live with Fogerty if Lloyd and co think he's the one but I'd prefer Stephenson, Coffield or Rayner if he somehow fell to us.

I actually think Cox will end up being huge for us.
At his age, he's marking like a pro and his game sense is great. Field kicking is very good. Shooting on goal not so much...If Tabs didn't need to be played as a CHF, I'd leave Cox there.
I think if it was me, I'd play a deeper forward line, shoe horn Tabs into FF, and put Cox as the permanent CHF.

Once his tank gets better, he's going to be something special.

Something like:

Matera Tabs Ballantyne
Bennell Cox Weller

Works for me

I'm slowly becoming a member of the Stephenson camp. Seems like he may be the biggest risk but also could become another Fyfe/Bont clone. Rayner is my dream but can't see him getting to us with North and Carlton both likely to want him (assuming he doesn't go at 1 to Brissy).

I actually think Cox will end up being huge for us.
At his age, he's marking like a pro and his game sense is great. Field kicking is very good. Shooting on goal not so much...If Tabs didn't need to be played as a CHF, I'd leave Cox there.
I think if it was me, I'd play a deeper forward line, shoe horn Tabs into FF, and put Cox as the permanent CHF.

Once his tank gets better, he's going to be something special.

Something like:

Matera Tabs Ballantyne
Bennell Cox Weller

Works for me
McCarthy will play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not in my opinion. With pick 5 I would want another Fyfe, Mundy or S Hill. I would be happy with another Neale further down the draft. Is that heightist?And I agree, it does sound a bit strange.

Higgins has a bit more brilliance though doesn't he? More speed and skill from what I hear and have seen. Also a better goal sneak.

Higgins has a bit more brilliance though doesn't he? More speed and skill from what I hear and have seen. Also a better goal sneak.

That's what I'm hearing but pick number is irrelevant to some degree and not sure what Neale would go if draft was done again. Certainly not 50+ and likely top 15.

At pick 5 is probably a bit of a reach.

A little yes. But would you prefer another Fyfe or another Neale if you had the choice? Which one of those is easier and better to fit into one team. Would you trade Fyfe for Hogan or Neale, if it had to be one or the other.

A little yes. But would you prefer another Fyfe or another Neale if you had the choice? Which one of those is easier and better to fit into one team. Would you trade Fyfe for Hogan or Neale, if it had to be one or the other.

I guess I see Higgins as potentially an upgrade of Neale so would think that'd be handy but I do have Rayner, Coffield and Stephenson ahead of Higgins for our pick so I'm on your page to some extent. Just wouldn't be at all disappointed if we took Higgins.

Don't wish to be critical but finding another Fyfe is harder then finding another Neale. Higgins just has the low to the ground workman like mid feel about him.

Not at all sold on Stephenson. Personally think he won't be any good.

I guess I see Higgins as potentially an upgrade of Neale so would think that'd be handy but I do have Rayner, Coffield and Stephenson ahead of Higgins for our pick so I'm on your page to some extent. Just wouldn't be at all disappointed if we took Higgins.
I wouldn't be disappointed either, if some of the others weren't available to us. But our midfield/ small forward coffers are quite healthy.

Neale being criminally underrated here. By the time he's finished he'll be one of our best ever players. Imagine his 2016 form with a fit Fyfe, Hills, Blakely etc.

In saying that, I think a goal kicking, line breaking mid would be more beneficial for us right now.

Back