Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Noah Balta

• Aiden Bonar

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Could you say Higgins is a likely cross between Neale and Toby Greene?
I must admit (and it might explain my limited interest in him) that he didn't stand out for me at all- either for good or bad. Fogerty I noticed, LDU, Brayshaw, Miers,even DeKonning and Dixon also etc. Cerra and Pettucelle(for the wrong reasons), but Higgins and O'Brien, I didn't notice..

sheeesh Higgins already better than Lachie Neale and not even drafted, Crozier no longer someone we want but a fringe dweller, is getting pretty funny here now as we get closer to trade week....combines will hopefully give some new direction and spin :p

Personally I rate stephenson and really hope we grab him... I was hoping for a KPF, but Tabs recent form has me thinking otherwise. Besides which Stephenson has already kicked a few bags of 5 or more goals at his current height... which makes another lumbering kpf rather redundant.

Plus if Stephenson is already 189cm at age 17, and *really can* run the 100mtrs in a smidge over 10 seconds - without a dedicated running coach no less - then he could arguably be not just the fastest player on our list, but one of the fastest in the league, once he puts on a bit more muscle.

Given our fast break style running offence, our recent focus on leg speed with draftees, and our wealth of up and coming skillfull outside academy prospects, Stephenson at pick 5 sounds absolutely made to measure IMO

Given our fast break style running offence, our recent focus on leg speed with draftees, and our wealth of up and coming skillfull outside academy prospects, Stephenson at pick 5 sounds absolutely made to measure IMO
[/QUOTE]

What do you think of Constable, Shipley, Dow and Coffield for our need of inside mids. Impressive highlights?

sheeesh Higgins already better than Lachie Neale and not even drafted, Crozier no longer someone we want but a fringe dweller, is getting pretty funny here now as we get closer to trade week....combines will hopefully give some new direction and spin :p

I don't think anyone has said that Higgins is better than Neale already have they?

What do you think of Constable, Shipley, Dow and Coffield for our need of inside mids. Impressive highlights?

To be honest I haven't looked much at the inside mids available - I always seem to gravitate to either height or speed with my potential draftees. :D

I acknowledge we need a lot more inside grunt, and I'd be far from heartbroken if we go with an inside bull instead (...lachie neale can't keep being dogpiled at stoppages, and I still miss Barlow enormously :( ). Stephenson is no Barlow but he gets the pill a lot and has kicked the occasional bag. It was just his reported speed over 100 meters that had me drooling (he scores under 3.00 seconds on the 30meter sprint too).

To put Stephenson's speed in perspective, in his prime, Matt Shervington ran the hundred in 10.03 seconds - this was an Australian record at the time, and won him the temporary and unofficial title of 'fastest white man on earth" .

Stephenson is apparently allready running sub 11 second times as a teenager... I'm assuming that's without a running coach, and possibly while wearing football boots. Give the guy seven more kilos of lean muscle, and a dedicated off-season running program, and the mind boggles at just how quick he may one day be. :eek::cool:

I think GWS may really target our pick 5.

Carlton interested in 2 of their players and they only have pick 2 and no second rounder. We only have pick 5 and no second rounder. GWS have 3 second rounders (23, 25 and likely 34)

GWS may try to work their way up to pick 2.

Fremantle give up 5 and 55. Get back 23, 34 and Wilson.

Could we get creative again with pick 5.

Carlton interested in 2 of their players and they only have pick 2 and no second rounder. We only have pick 5 and no second rounder. GWS have 3 second rounders (23, 25 and likely 34)

thats about a pick 26-7. Hope we can do business with player trade and picks to get a seconder rounder. Unfortunately Gold Coast may unwittingly be the bayne of this draft by holding 4 of the second rounders. It may make it harder to get deals done unless they can trade a few.....are they allowed to do that with the ones they received from last year???

thats about a pick 26-7. Hope we can do business with player trade and picks to get a seconder rounder. Unfortunately Gold Coast may unwittingly be the bayne of this draft by holding 4 of the second rounders. It may make it harder to get deals done unless they can trade a few.....are they allowed to do that with the ones they received from last year???

The obvious is just give them 2018 2nd but think GWS would be desperate to get into first round this year. We could possibly exploit that to higher degrees then in my suggestion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Certainly may be a consideration depending on what our Recruiters" may be considering. Are they steering away from those who may not be keen to come west? Are they focusing on home talent and devlop them? It may be that it is better to go that way or even 5 and 40 for 23, 25 and Wilson. That way we will still have a good opportunity to get what we want.

I think our second round pick next year is enough for Wilson.

If we can keep our first next year we will get a look at the guys I like but our second is already going to be out of the range for them, would we get a better player with it than Wilson? I don't expect so. One in the hand, as they say.

We still get Carter with a block of third round picks anyway, so if he is a second round pick then we get our second that way.

The AFL has also allowed clubs to trade their first and later round picks before, so if Hogan does decide to come later we can work a deal with those picks still.

So far this finals series the gun KF have flopped. It'll be interesting how much impact they have today. I think they're good to get you the wins throughout the season but maybe not vital for a premiership win?

I think they are important in finals, but more from a structural perspective rather than a "win it off their boot". IMO generally teams with leadership win finals; and leaders can be positioned anywhere on the field.

I think they are important in finals, but more from a structural perspective rather than a "win it off their boot". IMO generally teams with leadership win finals; and leaders can be positioned anywhere on the field.

Just playing devils advocate, does the quality need to be there from a structural pov? If Tabs was the KF would it be all that much different if it was Hogan? A defender still needs to man him up.

Your point about leadership is a very good one.

Contested marks are the value of the talls, if you have the contested marks then you don't need as much contested ball winners on the ground and usually that let's you play more outside runners and hopefully that leads to better delivery inside fifty which means you don't need as many contested markers.

As always dominant midfield, especially with contested ball will paper over most cracks

Just playing devils advocate, does the quality need to be there from a structural pov? If Tabs was the KF would it be all that much different if it was Hogan? A defender still needs to man him up.

Your point about leadership is a very good one.

You need a certain level of quality, partially dependent on the quality of the smalls and mediums. I agree with Tayl0r that contested marks are the value but as a tall you also need to be able to hurt when the ball goes to ground, which is an area which Taberner is very weak in compared to Hogan (I would say Sean Darcy is better when the ball is on the ground than Taberner). Looking at this year's draftees, ground ball mobility is also an area which say Darcy Fogarty and Jarrod Brander are very strong in, but unfortunately not Oscar Allen.

Back