2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Did OK today
If you read on you will see i said that was based on 2 quarters of the intraclub which was too small a sample size to make the call on.

Didn't see yesterday but sounds as though he was good which is pleasing as his good qualities are what our side is lacking.

Where's the Doc-love?

This post aims to point out that we seem to value Taylor Duryea less than Clarko does. Here goes...

I've just trawled back as far as page-14 of this thread and checked who included Duryea in their best-22.

32 posters named best-22s that excluded Doc.

A couple named best-22s with more than 22 players - i've have ignored them.

A few posters have double-dipped - nominated different best-22s in different posts. One of these, ClarkoCommandos, picked Doc in one of his best-22s, but not in his more recent best-22.

Only one poster, Manila_Hawk, named Doc in his best-22, with no caveats or complications... And he was promptly criticised for being unrealistic.

FWIW, I'm like you guys - I'd pick others on our list ahead of him.

But... Clarko plays Doc virtually every match he's available & fit.

Consider his appearances since his debut in Round 3 of 2013:

2013 - played 18 of 20 remaining H&A games
(Not picked for finals matches)
2014 - played 23 of 25 matches
(including all 3 finals)
2015 - played 22 of 26 matches
(including all 4 finals)
2016 - played 23 of 24 matches
(including both finals)
2017 - after a knee injury disrupted his pre-season & undermined his strength/fitness/form early in the season, he played every match from Round 9 onwards.

Shoey's contribution is regularly undervalued by big footy posters. TOB and he together also stop Rough getting double teamed as the only tall.

If TOB finally starts clunking even one extra mark a game it would really help his case.
Wondering...

a) If we wanted a Hale type in does Schoey go? We are possibly too tall with Schoey and a pinch hitter
b) If Brand comes back does this mean Timmy loses his chance to continue the experiment in defence
c) If someone like Pit or Cegs comes in it would be a ruck forward ...Do they have enough forward nous to do this?

Interesting times

Where's the Doc-love?

This post aims to point out that we seem to value Taylor Duryea less than Clarko does. Here goes...

I've just trawled back as far as page-14 of this thread and checked who included Duryea in their best-22.

A few posters have double-dipped - nominated different best-22s in different posts. One of these, ClarkoCommandos, picked Doc in one of his best-22s, but not in his more recent best-22.

Only one poster, Manila_Hawk, named Doc in his best-22, with no caveats or complications... And he was promptly criticised for being unrealistic.

(including all 3 finals)
(including all 4 finals)
(including both finals)
2017 - after a knee injury disrupted his pre-season & undermined his strength/fitness/form early in the season, he played every match from Round 9 onwards.
Here’s a joke. An Australian and an Irishman went to the JLT. The Australian wasn’t as good and the Irishman got picked instead for round one. The end

Need to work on my Irish jokes...

(I recon Conor might get his spot)

Wondering...

a) If we wanted a Hale type in does Schoey go? We are possibly too tall with Schoey and a pinch hitter
b) If Brand comes back does this mean Timmy loses his chance to continue the experiment in defence
c) If someone like Pit or Cegs comes in it would be a ruck forward ...Do they have enough forward nous to do this?

Interesting times

Hale type? shocked we didn't try to recruit one last year. Maybe we did I keep trying to think but the memory is there with all the other trauma in my life

Where's the Doc-love?

(including all 3 finals)
(including all 4 finals)
(including both finals)
Absolutely agree here. A huge disparity between how the selection panel view Docs contribution as to how the rank and file view him. I’m convinced he’ll be running out at the MCG in a fortnight.

Round x1

Hardwick Frawley. Burton

Sicily. Stratton. Burgoyne

Smith. O’Meara. Impey

Breust. Gunston. Rioli

Puopolo. Roughead. Duryea

McEvoy. Shiels. Mitchell

Henderson Howe Glass shoenmakers

Hale type? shocked we didn't try to recruit one last year. Maybe we did I keep trying to think but the memory is there with all the other trauma in my life
Hale types

a) Pitto marks and kicks truly
b) Cegs kicks truly (already can mark and pretty decent already and a set shot)
c) Timmy goes back to pinch hitting and doing forward work (wtf happened with that experiment - he did alright)?

Where's the Doc-love?

(including all 3 finals)
(including all 4 finals)
(including both finals)
Doc is a foot soldier and a brave one at that.

All teams need them . Those who will sacrifice their game for the greater good. That's why clarko is a fan.

To us on the outer, we tend to focus on his limitations and hope a player with better skills/speed/composure will come along and replace him.

At his best he is quite cabable, at his worst he is not. He should have our respect for his efforts.

All teams need them . Those who will sacrifice their game for the greater good. That's why clarko is a fan.

To us on the outer, we tend to focus on his limitations and hope a player with better skills/speed/composure will come along and replace him.

At his best he is quite cabable, at his worst he is not. He should have our respect for his efforts.
You certainly can't fault his effort just his decision making that lets him down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardwick - KB - Sicily
Burton - Stratton - Glass
Smith - Mitchell - Morrison
Impey - Gunston - Rioli
Puopolo - Roughead - Bruest
McEvoy - O'mera - Burgoyne
IC: Henderson - Schoenmakers - Shiels - Howe

Wouldn't have Chip in the best 22 personally.

Hardwick - KB - Sicily
Burton - Stratton - Glass
Smith - Mitchell - Morrison
Impey - Gunston - Rioli
Puopolo - Roughead - Bruest
McEvoy - O'mera - Burgoyne
IC: Henderson - Schoenmakers - Shiels - Howe

Wouldn't have Chip in the best 22 personally.
I thought Chip did well enough, the other night - kicking wasn't immaculate but then he wasn't alone in that dept. Offered some run out of the back half on a couple of occasions.

I don't think you can really persist with naming Roughy at FF.

Duryea had one bad year in 2016, before that everyone was on board with the Doc.

Hi guys, please excuse the intrusion but couldn't see where else to put this.
Will Harry Morrison be likely to be part of your best 22 this season?
Cheers.

Cheers.
Not at all impossible. I reckon that second wing position is up for grabs personally. Has Henderson, O’Rourke, Willsmore and maybe Glass as competitors. Also need depth anyway for outside run if Smith gets injured. Also - has had a really good preseason and Clarko loves him

Cheers.
Who knows, he got pretty glowing wraps about his work during the off-season but he's had limited JLT minutes.

He looks like his got the talent whether he's physically ready is the big question

Duryea had one bad year in 2016, before that everyone was on board with the Doc.
Duryea was pushed out of the backline when we had injuries there...yikes

Then had a go with Langers as a small forward when Rioli and Pops were out.

They’re back and so are all the injured backline.

My question about Doc is where would he fit?

Where's the Doc-love?

(including all 3 finals)
(including all 4 finals)
(including both finals)

I really like Doc for his courage. But his decision making irks me. With his limitations as a player, i want to see him excel for his smarts. For example, he often goes to help at the contest, not thinking about the next possession inside D50 and his matchup. Or he over commits at the contest. Maybe it is just me who sees this.

Right now our most experienced backs are Frawley, Stratts, Duyrea who are not damaging kicks of the ball. Frawley typically kicks long to a contest. When Stratton gets the ball he often looks backwards for someone to kick to without bothering to look forward. Our young backs are very good by foot, but without Birchall we lack someone in the backline to lead by example in this area.

Last edited:
Not at all impossible. I reckon that second wing position is up for grabs personally. Has Henderson, O’Rourke, Willsmore and maybe Glass as competitors. Also need depth anyway for outside run if Smith gets injured. Also - has had a really good preseason and Clarko loves him
Willsmore. LOL.

Duryea was pushed out of the backline when we had injuries there...yikes

Then had a go with Langers as a small forward when Rioli and Pops were out.

They’re back and so are all the injured backline.

My question about Doc is where would he fit?

Depth for mine. He's not a player that is going to get any better - i think I read somewhere he has a degenerative knee issue.

Would far rather give games to Glass as a defender over Doc, or someone like Harry Morrison as an outside mid/half forward. Impey takes his spot as a small forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back