2018 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Depth for mine. He's not a player that is going to get any better - i think I read somewhere he has a degenerative knee issue.

Would far rather give games to Glass as a defender over Doc, or someone like Harry Morrison as an outside mid/half forward. Impey takes his spot as a small forward.
I always find these sorts of things interesting.
There is a real juggling act with a team in transition between getting enough games into the kids with potential to give them a chance to realise that potential vs keeping enough of the guys you hope they go past in so that the team can perform through the transition.

Look at what happened at teams like Melbourne and the Suns where they played all their kids and a lot of them never realised that potential (if they ever actually had it)

Doc might get passed by 6-7 of the kids on the list this year or next but at the moment he probably has them comfortably beaten in output on gameday when it comes to consistency and team needs.

we don't tend to notice the foot soldiers plodding along in the trenches doing the dirty stuff we've seen them do every week unless they make a mistake, but we do notice the kid do something unexpected and chalk the bad thing they did before and after as experience

suddenly we think that kid had a better game than the veteran because we're remembering the good from one and the bad from the other

Sometimes you just have to force feed games into certain players, ride out the bumps and come out the other side quicker, but I reckon the club is dong that with Sis, Burton and Hardwick, we may see Glass or Harry get that this year but I expect we will see quite a few guys play 6-10 games, rotating through the same couple of spots on the list and guys like Doc getting more games than a lot of supporters want as they are used to help keep the ship steady and take the hits as the kids bodies mature

There is a real juggling act with a team in transition between getting enough games into the kids with potential to give them a chance to realise that potential vs keeping enough of the guys you hope they go past in so that the team can perform through the transition.

Look at what happened at teams like Melbourne and the Suns where they played all their kids and a lot of them never realised that potential (if they ever actually had it)

Doc might get passed by 6-7 of the kids on the list this year or next but at the moment he probably has them comfortably beaten in output on gameday when it comes to consistency and team needs.

we don't tend to notice the foot soldiers plodding along in the trenches doing the dirty stuff we've seen them do every week unless they make a mistake, but we do notice the kid do something unexpected and chalk the bad thing they did before and after as experience

suddenly we think that kid had a better game than the veteran because we're remembering the good from one and the bad from the other

Sometimes you just have to force feed games into certain players, ride out the bumps and come out the other side quicker, but I reckon the club is dong that with Sis, Burton and Hardwick, we may see Glass or Harry get that this year but I expect we will see quite a few guys play 6-10 games, rotating through the same couple of spots on the list and guys like Doc getting more games than a lot of supporters want as they are used to help keep the ship steady and take the hits as the kids bodies mature

I agree with everything you said. In saying that I hope Worpel is given plenty of opportunities. I just loved his pressure and ferocious attack on the footy in AFLx (granted, it was AFLx). He gives our mids energy when I think sometimes we look a little one paced in there.
But yes we do need the right balance of experienced players and young talent which I think is actually quite difficult to pull off

I agree with everything you said. In saying that I hope Worpel is given plenty of opportunities. I just loved his pressure and ferocious attack on the footy in AFLx (granted, it was AFLx). He gives our mids energy when I think sometimes we look a little one paced in there.
But yes we do need the right balance of experienced players and young talent which I think is actually quite difficult to pull off
Ultimately this is why Hodge, Sammy and Lewis pushed on. Already such a different team to 2012-2016. Good to have leaders on each line. But also good to trust that players can rise up. Clarko seems to be really good at getting younger players to trust themselves and pull their finger out. Recent words on Impey are an example. Clarko is good at telling players what they need to hear. Historically he has tried to put the lid on individuals - this year and last year he seeems to be deliberately taking it off to boost the confidence of his young players

It’s great watching him build a team again. He seems to really enjoy it and you can see the teacher in him rising to the fore

Where do you see him playing though?

He played a defensive foward for a bit last year, but with Breust, Poppy, Impey and Cyril back soon, I don't see a spot for him.

He's never had the tank to be a midfielder, maybe he could do stints on the wing, but I don't think his contested ball work is good enough to be an on-baller.

As a defender, I can't see him being selected ahead of Burto, Frawley, Siss, Hardwick, Stratts or Birch when he is back. So not a lot of space there.

As a utility, we already have Burgers and I put Doc in a similar camp to Whitey...

I think the club has more to gain in providing the 22nd spot on match day to one of Morrison, Worpel, Glass, Lovell, Hanrahan, Cousins, etc, than Doc or Whitey, assuming most of the other positions have been filled with our best 21.

He played a defensive foward for a bit last year, but with Breust, Poppy, Impey and Cyril back soon, I don't see a spot for him.

He's never had the tank to be a midfielder, maybe he could do stints on the wing, but I don't think his contested ball work is good enough to be an on-baller.

As a defender, I can't see him being selected ahead of Burto, Frawley, Siss, Hardwick, Stratts or Birch when he is back. So not a lot of space there.

As a utility, we already have Burgers and I put Doc in a similar camp to Whitey...

I think the club has more to gain in providing the 22nd spot on match day to one of Morrison, Worpel, Glass, Lovell, Hanrahan, Cousins, etc, than Doc or Whitey, assuming most of the other positions have been filled with our best 21.
I think maybe rotating between small forward and small defender, could see him on the bench for that reason. I'm not saying he will play every week either but it wouldn't surprise me if he played 15 games this year at all

Outsider Best 22 – round one
B: Hardwick, Frawley, Glass
HB: Burton, Stratton, Sicily
C: Smith, Mitchell, Impey
HF: Burgoyne, Gunston, Rioli
F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo
Foll: McEvoy, Shiels, O'Meara
Int: Duryea, Howe, O'Brien, Schoenmakers

E: Morrison, Henderson, Pittonet, Hanrahan

Missing through injury: Birchall, Langford, Ceglar, O'Rourke

Missing out: Whitecross, Willsmore, Lovell, Brand, Mirra, Heatherley, Moore, Ross, Worpel, Lewis, Jones, Miles, Jiath, Nash, Cousins

Outsider Best 22 – round one
B: Hardwick, Frawley, Glass
HB: Burton, Stratton, Sicily
C: Smith, Mitchell, Impey
HF: Burgoyne, Gunston, Rioli
F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo
Foll: McEvoy, Shiels, O'Meara
Int: Duryea, Howe, O'Brien, Schoenmakers

E: Morrison, Henderson, Pittonet, Hanrahan

Missing through injury: Birchall, Langford, Ceglar, O'Rourke

Missing out: Whitecross, Willsmore, Lovell, Brand, Mirra, Heatherley, Moore, Ross, Worpel, Lewis, Jones, Miles, Jiath, Nash, Cousins
For an outsider that’s not bad. But I would want Henderson and or Morrison in for run. Duryea makes way.

I agree with this. Not sure it will happen though

Round 1: A mix of JLT and gut feel

B: Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HB: Sicily Burton Mirra
C: Smith Mitchell Glass
HF: Burgoyne Gunston Duryea
F: Puopolo Roughead Breust
R: McEvoy Jaeger Shiels
I: Impey Schoenmakers Howe Morrison

E: Henderson HANRAHAN O'Brien Whitecross

Rioli for R2-3

Still can't help but feel Mirra is in Clarkos plans this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 1: A mix of JLT and gut feel

B: Hardwick Frawley Stratton
HB: Sicily Burton Mirra
C: Smith Mitchell Glass
HF: Burgoyne Gunston Duryea
F: Puopolo Roughead Breust
R: McEvoy Jaeger Shiels
I: Impey Schoenmakers Howe Morrison

E: Henderson HANRAHAN O'Brien Whitecross

Rioli for R2-3

Still can't help but feel Mirra is in Clarkos plans this year.
I think Clarko likes TOB in the side, so I would swap Mirra for him.

Forgive the intrusion, I've high hopes for Worpel, Hanrahan, Glass and Lovell, are the not highly rated by Hawks supporters, or just not ready yet?

Worpel has done one pre-season and been impressive, but pick 45s rarely walk into a strating 22. Expect he will be given game time as his tank increases and he puts together solid games in a row at BH.

Hanrahan is on the rookie list and impressed throughout the pre-season as a small forward. He is behind Rioli, Breust, Impey and Poppy though, so will find it tough to get game time this year. Hopefully he gets 3 - 4 games though.

Lovell has finally rid himself of the 36 jumper, so expecting a turn in fortune on the injury front. He is playign his first game for the year for BH this weekend and has spent a great deal of time since doing his shoulder last year, working on his ednurance running. Hopefully with increased game time he not only starts to find the footy, but uses it well and is then considered for the AFL squad.

Glass is probably the one that will get the most games of the four this year, as a rebounding small-to-medium defender. He really impressed last year but has had a few injury issues in the off-season. Was back for the final JLT game though and will be surprised if he did not start Round 1, particularly with Birchall being unavailable for the next four months.

Worpel has done one pre-season and been impressive, but pick 45s rarely walk into a strating 22. Expect he will be given game time as his tank increases and he puts together solid games in a row at BH.

Hanrahan is on the rookie list and impressed throughout the pre-season as a small forward. He is behind Rioli, Breust, Impey and Poppy though, so will find it tough to get game time this year. Hopefully he gets 3 - 4 games though.

Lovell has finally rid himself of the 36 jumper, so expecting a turn in fortune on the injury front. He is playign his first game for the year for BH this weekend and has spent a great deal of time since doing his shoulder last year, working on his ednurance running. Hopefully with increased game time he not only starts to find the footy, but uses it well and is then considered for the AFL squad.

Glass is probably the one that will get the most games of the four this year, as a rebounding small-to-medium defender. He really impressed last year but has had a few injury issues in the off-season. Was back for the final JLT game though and will be surprised if he did not start Round 1, particularly with Birchall being unavailable for the next four months.
many thanks :thumbsu::)

On what we have seen so far

Hardwick Frawley Stratts
Burton Brand Birchall - TOB is no defender and we lack run off HB
Smith Mitchell Sicily (extra defender)
Impey ??? Gunston
Rioli Rough Breust
McEvoy JOM Shiels
Howe Puopolo Burgoyne ???
Bench spot up for grabs. Not sure on Doc (mistakes) Henderson (soft and goes missing). Hopefully a young player steps up.
I would play Ceglar over Shoe or TOB. All are average forwards who apply little pressure but Ceglar is a great ruckman. Clarko to buck the trend and play two rucks later in the season.

Hardwick Frawley Stratts
Impey ??? Gunston
Rioli Rough Breust
McEvoy JOM Shiels
Bench spot up for grabs. Not sure on Doc (mistakes) Henderson (soft and goes missing). Hopefully a young player steps up.
I would play Ceglar over Shoe or TOB. All are average forwards who apply little pressure but Ceglar is a great ruckman. Clarko to buck the trend and play two rucks later in the season.
Really have to disagree on Hendo, i think he has been great since we picked him up. Can almost lock him in for 20 touches and a goal most games. Will never be our best player but is normally far from our worst. Runs hard, has a team first mentality and is a penetrating kick. I think his best quality though is he seems to be a smart footballer, just seems to be in the right place at the right time (is what allows him to get on the end of these goals).

Hardwick Frawley Stratts
Impey ??? Gunston
Rioli Rough Breust
McEvoy JOM Shiels
Respectfully, are we watching the same Ricky Henderson?

He is firmly best 22 at the moment, and will be as long as he averages 20 touches, 2 goals, 4 IFs and 4 tackles playing off the wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back