2019 5th Ashes Test 12-17 September - The Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah yes. In the same way that Mark Waugh gave no effort every time he didn’t score runs.

You felt he was putting in full effort that first innings at manchester?

You know he wasn't, the pitch was lifeless it was windy and cold and he went missing, he's a great young bowler and he will learn from that but he still didn't do his job then.

That decision to send them in is looking worse with each ball. I am still so angry with Paine for making such a ridiculous call in allowing the opposition to put runs on the board and subjecting our failed batting line up to run chases. Damned stupid!!!! Everyone's going on about 2-2 being a good effort away, but without a superhuman effort from Smith, it would be 0-4, possibly 0-5.

We can't kid ourselves, this is a terrible team. Only a handful of people putting in and the rest doing absolutely bugger all. I hope those guys have enjoyed their all-expenses paid tour of England, they won't get another one.

You felt he was putting in full effort that first innings at manchester?

You know he wasn't, the pitch was lifeless it was windy and cold and he went missing, he's a great young bowler and he will learn from that but he still didn't do his job then.

What evidence do you have to say he didn’t?

He looks casual. Every ball he’s bowled this series he’s looked casual. Same as every shot Waugh hit, good or bad, he looked casual.

He was also coming off a test in which he took a bag of six by reducing his pace and relying on accuracy.

Furthermore, you know a bit about cricket. You know that bowling fast isn’t merely a question of ‘trying.’ If that was the case, every ball of Mitchell Starcs would be over 150. There are a huge amount of factors.

He was run out as well, still how do you think queenslanders feel, burns made a ton in nz axed two tests later then axed right after a ton for this tour.

His runs vs sl are apparently pointless but Harris who didn't even score runs vs that sl attack gets a gig, it's almost like it's worse to dominate and make home tons than it is to fail at home.

Harris was Australia’s best batsman v India and absolutely dominated the Shield, he deserved his opportunity

Burns was just bad timing getting ill, they probably had some doubts over his ability to get through 5 tests in a short period because of it

The only good thing about bowling first now could be the fact we will have 2+ days to chase any target.
All we need are a few batsmen to actually.... BAT..... and form 1 or 2 decent partnerships.
Of course that all comes down to our bowlers hitting the right spots and knocking over the poms cheaply, and NOT LETTING THE ******* TAIL WAG AGAIN!

Harris was Australia’s best batsman v India and absolutely dominated the Shield, he deserved his opportunity

Burns was just bad timing getting ill, they probably had some doubts over his ability to get through 5 tests in a short period because of it

I would have had burns and Harris over Bancroft but even if Harris did deserve his shot fact is he didn't take it, if he doesn't score runs in the next dig he is gone and you shouldn't have an issue with that.

Lol, Harris is completely out of his depth yet Bancroft deserves another chance and was unlucky

Their test records are about identical...
Do you get an alert everytime a Victorian gets bagged?

Big difference. He bowled about 10 k slower for a start

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Again, bowling speeds are about a heap of things besides effort, on top of which bowling your quickest doesn’t guarantee success - it’s a long time ago I know, but you can go all the way back to 3 weeks ago to find an example of a player - his name is archer actually - bowling 10km/h slower in a test after hitting the best batsman in the world, and taking a bag of 6

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I wouldn’t, just as no one should be upset at Bancroft being dropped

Yep agree with that, Bancroft was bloody lucky to get another shot so quick, people praising him for scratching around and nearly getting out 4 times before making 7 off 40 are insufferable.

The ball moves for a long long time in england the idea an opener who survives 10 overs and then gets out cheaply has done his job is silly as the ball is still doing plenty when he goes with so few runs to his name.

Harris is a mediocre version of the coach Langer...small left hander punching above his skill set....Bancroft possesses Langers love for discipline, meditation and mindfulness.....all key Langer qualities.

Really need a Ponting or Steve Waugh influence on the selection committee.....Chappell and Hohns are both past their sell by dates...both Ponting and Waugh have a greater feel for the modern game one would hope....

sticking point with Paine as well.....not really good enough to command a test spot on keeping alone...Carey is just as good with the gloves and definitely better with the bat.....but who captain's the side?...that is where Paine has them by the short and curlies....until Smith is allowed back as captain(if he even wants it) Aust will always be one short with Paine in the side.....nice guy...done a great job bring respect back to Australian cricket....but at 34/35....definitely shouldn't be playing ahead of someone like Carey....especially with Aust current batting stocks and Warner so woefully out of form.

Yeah I'm still scratching my head on that one. We came into this match with all the momentum, and more or less handed that momentum to the opposition on a silver platter. Thankfully this England team doesn't have the batting talent to make us pay by scoring 500, but it was a negative decision, which we're now paying for.

Disagree, I think day 1 were the best of the bowling conditions proved by the swing bowling Marsh was able to get.
Day 2 was more friendly for the batsmen, the ball was barely moving at all. One issue though, our batting sucks. If we were any decent we’d have made 400+ in our first dig. Day 2 was a batsmen dream.

The annoying thing from an SA point of view is how they've been given more and more chances yet Ferguson was given 1 in Australia's worst test performance in 20 years and wasn't given another after it.
When you are an average journeyman like Ferg you just have to grab those chances and hang on to them tight instead of having a brain-melt and running yourself out.

Nope, when a player is making runs in one spot, you leave him there.

Completely agree, but not sure what is the difference of Labuschagne opening or coming in at the end of the first or second over....atleast the guy has shown his stickability v the new ball in bowling conditions.....esp with Warner out of touch....why not experiment with Labuschagne in the 2nd innings of this test.....atleast change something....been so predictable of late.....

Disagree, I think day 1 were the best of the bowling conditions proved by the swing bowling Marsh was able to get.
Day 2 was more friendly for the batsmen, the ball was barely moving at all. One issue though, our batting sucks. If we were any decent we’d have made 400+ in our first dig. Day 2 was a batsmen dream.
Crazy to defend bowling first. It was the most obvious captaincy error I can remember. Paine completely screwed us before the match even started. This is on him even more than the batsmen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back