Prediction 2019 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

This is so damn hard! Great depth in this team, with genuine quality!

FB: Langdon ~ Moore ~ Maynard
HB: Scharenberg ~ Howe ~ Crisp
C: Sidebottom ~ Treloar ~ Phillips
HF: Hoskin-Elliott ~ Mihocek ~ Varcoe
FF: Elliott ~ De Goey ~ Cox
FOLL: Grundy ~ Adams ~ Beams
INT: Pendlebury ~ Thomas ~ Sier ~ Stephensen

EMERGENCY: Mayne, Dunn, Aish

UNLUCKY: Aish, Greenwood, Wells, Goldsack, Roughead and so many more.

I love this list, if we can stay healthy my word look out.

De Goey and Elliott upforward would be a defenders nightmare, I hope to god he stays fit it would be an incredible sight to see these two dominating together.

Last edited:
99% sure if Dunn is remotely not ready we won't play him. He's crucial to our 2019 season and we wouldn't want to risk him.

Also, similar to Mayne, when you bring someone in to fill a specific role you just gotta give him a chance.

We will at least play Roughhead in the early rounds as our FB to see how good he is at the very least.

B: Langdon Dunn Maynard
HB: Howe Roughead Crisp
C: Sidebottom Beams Pendles
HF: DeGoey Moore Hoskin-Elliott
F: Elliott Cox Thomas
Foll: Grundy Treloar Adams
I/C: Sier Stephenson Varcoe Scharenberg
E: Mayne Phillips Mihocek Wells

Round 1 team:

B: Howe Dunn Maynard
HB: Crisp Mihocek Langdon
C: Phillips Pendles Wells
HF: De Goey Cox Stephenson
F: Elliot Moore WHE
Followers : Grundy Adams Sidebottom

Int: Sier Beams Treloar Appleby

I can't believe that some are leaving out Tom Phillips! He came sixth in the Copeland Trophy so obviously the club values his year.

He typifies everything good about the 2018 Collingwood team.

I watched every Collingwood game at the MCG between 2014 and 2017 and saw so many "witches hats" every week, never making space or being there for their team mates.

Tom Phillips and others have brought the the run and carry we so desperately needed. Our success this year was due to our smooth transitions from backline to inside 50 and he was a big part in this.

He was also responsible for many goal assists and a few amazing goals himself.

I'm looking forward to seeing him on the wing next year.

This is almost too hard

Back: Maynard, Dunne, Langdon

Half Back: Howe, Moore, Crisp

Centre: Sidebottom, Adams, Phillips

Half Forward: DeGoey, Mihocek, Stephenson

Forward: Elliott, Cox, WHE

Followers: Grundy, Treloar, Beams

Interchange: Pendlebury, Sier, Varcoe, Thomas

Notable exceptions
  • Scharenberg due to injuries - don't think he will play much of a role in 2019
  • Wells is cooked in my view
  • Reid - depth only now to fragile
  • Roughead at 200cm and 100kg is a good get. Hope he can replicate the 2016 form
  • Expect Quaynor to play a few games
  • McClarty not yet contracted so might be delisted?
  • Plenty of depth with Aish, Greenwood, Goldsack, Brown, Daicos, Murphy, Appleby all making cameo's through the season

Getting abit predantic fellas

Not at all. To 'snap' is what the Michael Douglas character does in the movie Falling Down, or it's what both of Treloar's hamstrings did against Carlton. To 'click' is what happened in Rocky III when Rocky goes for a frolic with Apollo Creed on a California beach, at which point he confronts his fear of failure and regains the 'eye of the tiger'. Inspiring stuff.

FB: Langdon - Dunn - Maynard
HB: Howe - Moore - Crisp

Mid: Sidebottom - Pendlebury - Phillips
Fol: Grundy - Treloar - Beams

HF: Elliott - Mihocek - Stephenson
FF: De Goey - Cox - Hoskin-Elliott

Int: Adams (mid), Sier (mid), Thomas (fwd), Appleby (def)

Going with the assumption that everyone will be fit/ready to play for round 1 except Scharenberg, here is my best 22:

HB: Howe Moore Crisp

C: Treloar Pendlebury Sidebottom

HF: Hoskin-Elliott Mihocek De Goey

F: Thomas Cox Stephenson

R: Grundy Adams Beams

I/C: Phillips Varcoe Sier Mayne

Most notable players to miss out (depth): Goldsack, Greenwood, Brown, Aish, Reid, Elliott, Wells, Roughead.

I expect us to draft Kelly and Quaynor as well, so they'll also likely be in the equation. Thoughts?

If Elliot and Wells are fit they play as when fit they are top ten players and match winners.

HB: Howe Roughead Crisp
C: Sidebottom Beams Pendles
HF: DeGoey Moore Hoskin-Elliott
F: Elliott Cox Thomas
Foll: Grundy Treloar Adams
I/C: Sier Stephenson Varcoe Scharenberg
E: Mayne Phillips Mihocek Wells
I would be keen to see how Wells presents, hard to leave that talent out if he is in good nick (although always a risk).

I do like the shape of this line up.

It’s a big if, but if Wells returns fit and has a relatively injury free year we’re going to have crazy midfield depth.
He will be the silk on top of this bizzaro midfield of greatness.

I say celebrate our strengths and mitigate our weaknesses.

B: Langdon, Moore, Quaynor

HB: Crisp, Howe, Maynard

C: Sidebottom, Pendlebury, Phillips

HF: WHE, Cox, Beams

F: Mihocek, De Goey, Elliott

R: Grundy, Adams, Treloar

Int: Stephenson, Thomas, Varcoe, Sier

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Elliot and Wells are fit they play as when fit they are top ten players and match winners.
I don't disagree but thats only if the Elliott is the 2015 one. I mean he's been injured so much that we aren't necessarily gonna have the same Elliott back next season. The Elliott in 2017 for example who played for a decent amount of the season was nowhere near the 2015 one. So yeah, I think he walks into the forward line like De Goey does atm in his 2015 kind of form, I'm just not convinced that he will be able to perform at that level for us next season. I'm fairly optimistic about it though, I just think it'd be harsh to drop someone like Thomas with how Thomas was playing. Hopefully Elliott can get back to his best next season.

Wells too, I agree he plays if he is at his best and fully match sharp, I hope he can do that, I'm just not convinced that he can play week in week out anymore, I think he is the kind of player who plays 3 weeks, 1 week off, plays 3 again, 1 off. To keep him fit for the season I mean, I think we might have to manage Wells like this. Let's hope he can do it (be fit for the season).

B: Langdon, Dunn, Goldsack
HB: Howe, Scharenberg, Maynard
C: Phillips, Pendlebury, Wells
HF: De Goey, Mihocek, Thomas
F: Hoskin-Elliott, Cox, Elliott
FOLL: Grundy, Sidebottom, Treloar
IC: Beams, Adams, Varcoe, Stephenson

Langdon - Roughead - Maynard

Crisp - Moore - Howe

Sidebottom - Sier - Treloar

Pendles - Mihochek - Stephenson

WHE - Cox - DeGoey

Foll: Grundy - Beams - Adams

Interchange: from: Phillips, Murphy, Thomas, Mayne, Aish
Consider if fit: Sharenberg, Dunn, Elliott, Broomhead

Langdon - Roughead - Maynard

Crisp - Moore - Howe

Sidebottom - Sier - Treloar

Pendles - Mihochek - Stephenson

WHE - Cox - DeGoey

Foll: Grundy - Beams - Adams

Interchange: from: Phillips, Murphy, Thomas, Mayne, Aish
Consider if fit: Sharenberg, Dunn, Elliott, Broomhead
For mine I'd have Wells also on the consider if fit list and have Goldsack ahead of Roughhead unless opposition have two very tall forwards.
Also I have Phillips and Thomas as my first two on interchange and Varcoe ahead of Mayne or Aish. Greenwood still in the mix when we need a tagger.

From GF side that's in Beams, Moore out Greenwood & Aish. Mayne next out if Elliott or Wells fit, Goldsack out if Dunn somehow returns as quickly as Sack himself did this year.

Before any trades or FA pickups/departures:

B:
Langdon, Dunn, Howe
HB: Crisp, Moore, Maynard
HF: Hoskin-Elliott, Mihocek, Thomas
F: Elliott, Cox, De Goey
Foll: Grundy, Treloar, Adams
INT: Stephenson, Sier, Varcoe, Scharenberg
EMG: Reid, Goldsack, Aish, Mayne

Changes from GF side:
OUT - Goldsack, Greenwood, Mayne, Aish
IN - Dunn, Scharenberg, Elliott, Moore

Backs: Reverted back to a seven player defence similar as we had to start the year (rather than the likes of Aish and Greenwood playing defensive roles) so Scharenberg gets a gig as the seventh defender. Is it too top-heavy? Idea would be for Dunn to take the first key forward, Moore to take the second and hopefully he has the mobility to take a medium/tall type if needed. Regardless, I'd keep Dunn as a "horses for courses" type and if Moore doesn't have a matchup then Dunn gets dropped with Moore to take the number 1 key forward. Despite his excellent finals series peeling off and intercept marking I'd play Langdon in a lockdown role. We know he can play on tall and small which leaves Howe and Scharenberg doing what they do best as intercept defenders. Crisp and Maynard to do as they do, lockdown some smaller types and provide a bit of drive from defence.

Mids: Much the same as 2018. Hopefully Treloar can get his run back over the preseason (I'm sure he will). Pendlebury is an interesting one. I think he's slowing down a tad but still think he gets a starting spot in the midfield. I was tempted to play him off the bench with Sidebottom starting in the middle and Stephenson moving to the wing but decided against it. On the subject, Stephenson to roll onto that wing rotation as he started to do more of by the end of 2018. Sier to roll through the middle and win clearances at will. Varcoe to continue his utility role. De Goey to get some midfield minutes again.

Forwards: Much the same as 2018 but a new recruit by the name of Jamie Elliott to join the fray. I hear he goes ok. Basically just replacing Stephenson's forward minutes with Elliott. I think there's scope for us to pick up another key forward though. I think Mihocek could be a very handy third-tall given he's pretty strong in the air and quite wily and capable roving at ground level. I don't think De Goey needs many more midfield minutes than he's current getting, you can see he's a terrifying matchup for defences to deal with. The only other player that might have the same impact is if we can isolate Elliott effectively in the forward 50.

Others:

Reid - Tall forward emergency.

Goldsack - Loved by everyone, named him as an emergency but I think we need to back in the players listed above

Aish/Mayne/Greenwood/Varcoe - I know I named Varcoe but can't help but list these players together. I can only see one or two spots best 22 spots for this group with a fully fit best 22. Age is on Aish's side so hopefully he's one that can make a spot his own (as he did prior to injury this year) but I loved the finals series' of Mayne, Greenwood and Varcoe, they all made a positive impact and would be happy for any of them to get a game in 2019.

Wells - A bonus if he can get fully fit but think he's just a depth option at this point.

C.Brown/Daicos/Broomhead/Wills/Crocker - Will likely get games in 2019 but maybe at a bit of a crossroads? Probably about the time for these players to start pushing to be best 22 rather than depth-types.

Murphy/Appleby/Madgen - All were handy in their small number of games this year. I imagine all will have the opportunity to player seniors again in 2019. Appleby and Murphy especially I think might be able to make a case for best 22 come this time next year.

McLarty/T.Brown/Kirby/Lynch - I'm not a huge wrap for trying to extrapolate VFL form to AFL form so no idea on these four at the moment.

Blair/Smith/Oxley - Depth-types this point I think. I think Smith might still be able to offer something similar to what Mayne has if given a chance.

Murray - Gone?

Fasolo - Gone by the sounds of things.

After trades and FA movements:

B: Langdon, Dunn, Howe
HB: Crisp, Moore, Maynard
HF: Hoskin-Elliott, Mihocek, Thomas
F: Elliott, Cox, De Goey
Foll: Grundy, Beams, Adams
INT: Stephenson, Sier, Treloar, Scharenberg
EMG: Reid, Goldsack, Aish, Varcoe

Changes from GF side:
OUT - Goldsack, Greenwood, Mayne, Aish, Varcoe
IN - Dunn, Scharenberg, Elliott, Moore, Beams

Backs: Reverted back to a seven player defence similar as we had to start the year (rather than the likes of Aish and Greenwood playing defensive roles) so Scharenberg gets a gig as the seventh defender. Is it too top-heavy? Idea would be for Dunn to take the first key forward, Moore to take the second and hopefully he has the mobility to take a medium/tall type if needed. Regardless, I'd keep Dunn as a "horses for courses" type and if Moore doesn't have a matchup then Dunn gets dropped with Moore to take the number 1 key forward. Despite his excellent finals series peeling off and intercept marking I'd play Langdon in a lockdown role. We know he can play on tall and small which leaves Howe and Scharenberg doing what they do best as intercept defenders. Crisp and Maynard to do as they do, lockdown some smaller types and provide a bit of drive from defence. If we are too tall then I think at this stage Scharenberg is the one to make way. I think Appleby could then take the spot or one of Varcoe/Aish/Mayne/Greenwood (my preference would be Varcoe in the short-term but you'd hope that Aish could hit form and demand it) if we were after more flexibility.

Mids: The addition of Beams makes things interesting. I'm hoping that we're not too "centre-square midfielder" heavy. I originally had an outside utility (Varcoe) in the team prior to the Beams trade. I haven't seen a heap of Beams lately but he still seems a player to play at centre bounces and at clearances around the ground rather than a pure wing link-up player like Phillips and Sidebottom. We could redeploy one of them but still think playing one of Pendlebury, Beams, Adams, Treloar or Sier on a wing is a little 'robbing Peter to pay Paul'. Maybe then Varcoe should be in for Sier from a team balance perspective? Sier was so good when he came in though so he's not a player I'd really want to drop.

I've started Treloar on the bench only because he started on the bench throughout the finals, and someone has to. Although, this was probably just due to not having the body of work in after recovering from injury. Still, Dane Swan started on the bench for us and it didn't hinder his game at all. It might have even enhanced it coming on fresh as fatigue started to kick-in. I think Treloar could have a similar effect. Beams to start in the guts with Adams. Pendlebury is an interesting one. I think he's slowing down a tad but still think he gets a starting spot in the midfield. I was tempted to play him off the bench with Sidebottom starting in the middle and Stephenson moving to the wing but decided against it. On the subject, Stephenson to roll onto that wing rotation as he started to do more of by the end of 2018. Sier to roll through the middle and win clearances at will. De Goey to get some midfield minutes again.

Forwards: Much the same as 2018 but a new recruit by the name of Jamie Elliott to join the fray. I hear he goes ok. Basically just replacing Stephenson's forward minutes with Elliott. I think there's scope for us to play another key forward though. Maybe shuffling Moore forward and Roughead back? I think Mihocek could be a very handy third-tall given he's pretty strong in the air and quite wily and capable roving at ground level. If this was to happen then I think one of Thomas, Elliott or Hoskin-Eliott would need to be dropped. Elliott and Hoskin-Elliott are pretty similar players so I think it would be one of them (Thomas' superior crumbing abilities is his trump card for me). For the moment I'd keep it as listed though. I don't think De Goey needs many more midfield minutes than he's current getting, you can see he's a terrifying matchup for defences to deal with. The only other player that might have the same impact is if we can isolate Elliott effectively in the forward 50.

Roughead -
Not sure what to make of this pick-up just yet. I don't feel like we've recruited from other clubs just to pad out the list in the last few years. With that being said I feel like Roughead's probably closer to the best 22 than I think. Moore, Mihocek, Reid and McLarty are all key position players that have changed ends of the field recently. I don't know a heap about Roughead but apparently he's a strong mark? Is it possible he's being looked at as a CHF lead up the wings option? If we can get that player I think it makes the team stronger.

Can't fit him in the side it's a strong side. He'll get a game because Dunn and Scharenberg won't play at the start of the year.
His run and long kicking is really needed, on 2018 form Crisp is top 10 in our side easily, he was consistently really good.

He would be best 22 regardless of whos available.

Edit: he hasnt missed a game since he came to us, i doubt he will miss one now that he’s in career best form.

Can't fit him in the side it's a strong side. He'll get a game because Dunn and Scharenberg won't play at the start of the year.

He is arguably our best defender. Crisp will be contending for AA next year if his career progression keeps going the way it has

Without any additional pre season injuries. 2019 will be very competitive for spots.:thumbsu:

A strong position to be in. I would hate to be one of the selectors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back