VFL 2019 GFC VFL - The Bankers Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the game today, Buzza did look to be in really good form. Z Smith looked Ok also, of the others not many are showing they are AFL ready. JJ looks comfortable at either end, S Selwood is a man playing against boys, Fog not too bad and Parsons and Simpson show glimpses but we know what we get with those guys. All of the first year players show little glimpses of the reason they were recruited, but need a year in the VFL.
Thanks LT Cat -
Did Freddie play? If so, how did he go? (Presumably a pretty quiet game going on absence of mentions)

Thanks LT Cat -
Did Freddie play? If so, how did he go? (Presumably a pretty quiet game going on absence of mentions)
I really like the look of Freddy, but he needs time, he's athletic, takes a great high mark and I believe could become a 100 game afl player, but wouldnt be surprised if he's kept til next year failing injuries.

Went to the game today, Buzza did look to be in really good form. Z Smith looked Ok also, of the others not many are showing they are AFL ready. JJ looks comfortable at either end, S Selwood is a man playing against boys, Fog not too bad and Parsons and Simpson show glimpses but we know what we get with those guys. All of the first year players show little glimpses of the reason they were recruited, but need a year in the VFL.
I worry if Scooter has now fallen to that level where he is not quite up to AFL but still too good for the level below... Am i being harsh?

Is it just me, or does it seem that the bigger guys are performing better relative to our mids/smalls in our VFL team? (Eg. Fort, Smith, Abbott, Buzza)

I really like the look of Freddy, but he needs time, he's athletic, takes a great high mark and I believe could become a 100 game afl player, but wouldnt be surprised if he's kept til next year failing injuries.

Could get away and view this game. Haven't read all reports but longtime saw the same game as me.

Smith and Selwood very good. On that they are ready. Maybe SCooter needs a bit more game time in VFL.

Buzza very good, including three or four very strong overhead pack marks. Often he had another Geelong forward flying too (Shlensog and Kreuger) along with determined defenders, and still managed to pull them down. Missed a couple of quite kickable goals in general play. He also laid one lovely 50m pass out in front of JJ to set up another.

Kreuger has all the tolls and the determination needed to make it. Will probably play VFL this year but will be ready next year.

I really like JJ. Explosive, has pace, a lovely kick and tackles for keeps. Just needs to up his possession numbers. Playing forward again after his stint in defence.

Fogarty needs another run or two IMO. In and under as usual. Bews OK but needs another run or two as well. Parsons off a wing did some very nice things but needs more possessions and a bit of Buzza's mongrel.

Brownless looks like he will develop into a handy mid in time. Kennerly much better than last seen. Got involved quite a bit from the wing. Moves well, good decisions usually, nice kick. Tarca used on ball for large periods - a vote of confidence from MC? - didn't do a lot but he is pretty raw.

No Narkle or Jarvis or Okunbor.
Shlensog played forward and relief ruck (with Buzza). Much better than last time i saw him but will take at least another year, even looks like he needs to harden his body yet. Often flew for marks against Buzza or Krueger and probably needs to work more on positioning (as I would expect at this stage)

Simpson and Guthrie both solid. Could play roles at AFL level if space opens up. I still worry that Simpson is a bit one paced but still manages to move thru traffic well.

Pies had Goldsack and Daniel Wells across half forward and they were contained fairly well. Not sure who their ruck was but he was not an easy beat. Smith gradually overpowered him in the first half and was well on top from half time.

Of the VFL listers Ben Reid good again. Noticed No. 75 - I think - Callum Mitchell - took some nice intercepting marks in one quarter and looked pretty good at half back overall. I am not sure Kyle Reid played the first half? Noticed his red hair after HT and he was serviceable not a stand out - Henry size.

Last edited:
I worry if Scooter has now fallen to that level where he is not quite up to AFL but still too good for the level below... Am i being harsh?

He would be OK at AFL level ( as a role player) , but with Constable, Parfitt, Miers etc going OK I don't think he will rushed in. I might get a surprise on that!
If one mid /forward say was sore and Menegola / Atkins still out it will a toss up between Scooter, Fog and JJ as to who comes in if it was my pick. JJ is fully fit and ready to go. The other two need a bit more time IMO.

fY7rJ0O.png

wSKPr2z.png

Rd 8 team
Team for Round 8 vs Coburg @ GMHBA Stadium on Saturday May 25 @ 2pm

B: 39. Z. Guthrie, 75. C. Mitchell, 51. J. Tsitas
HB: 19. Q. Narkle, 24. J. Bews, 37. S. Simpson
C: 20. O. Brownless, 16. S. Selwood, 21. J. Kennerley
HF: 41. J. Jones, 12. W. Buzza, 15. N. Kreuger
F: 17. E. Ratugolea, 45. R. Abbott, 33. J. Tarca
R: 9. Z. Smith, 18. C. Constable, 13. L. Fogarty
Int: 50. D. Capiron, 58. A. Cincotta, 79. P. Dowling, 62. C. Floyd, 74. J. Gow, 52. J. McLachlan, 56. B. Reid, 49. N. Rokahr, 36. B. Schlensog, 55. L. Smith
23P: 65. K. Reid

Forward line looks a little top heavy, while the backline looks a little light on for talls....

Team for Round 8 vs Coburg @ GMHBA Stadium on Saturday May 25 @ 2pm

B: 39. Z. Guthrie, 75. C. Mitchell, 51. J. Tsitas
HB: 19. Q. Narkle, 24. J. Bews, 37. S. Simpson
C: 20. O. Brownless, 16. S. Selwood, 21. J. Kennerley
HF: 41. J. Jones, 12. W. Buzza, 15. N. Kreuger
F: 17. E. Ratugolea, 45. R. Abbott, 33. J. Tarca
R: 9. Z. Smith, 18. C. Constable, 13. L. Fogarty
Int: 50. D. Capiron, 58. A. Cincotta, 79. P. Dowling, 62. C. Floyd, 74. J. Gow, 52. J. McLachlan, 56. B. Reid, 49. N. Rokahr, 36. B. Schlensog, 55. L. Smith
23P: 65. K. Reid

Forward line looks a little top heavy, while the backline looks a little light on for talls....
C.Mitchell at FB? Did we get any feedback on KRied ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

C.Mitchell at FB? Did we get any feedback on KRied ?
I think he was the one I mentioned in my post game review. Played one cracking quarter , third from memory, to catch.my attention before I went back to watching listed players.
He looked about Henry size but played taller. Two strong overhead marks at least good interceptions. With a lack of defensive talls it doesn't surprise me to see him in at the deep end.

I think he was the one I mentioned in my post game review. Played one cracking quarter , third from memory, to catch.my attention before I went back to watching listed players.
He looked about Henry size but played taller. Two strong overhead marks at least good interceptions. With a lack of defensive talls it doesn't surprise me to see him in at the deep end.

Height 190ish.? Age? I mentioned this in anothe thread.. the heights are not getting smalled.. Henry is not that tall he relies on spring. Id like to have heard he was Blitz size..say 197 etc.

Did Schlensog get injured last week? Very low stats from the week before?
Schlensog had a few possessions but a couple of clangers too. He did get to where the ball was tho which was an improvement on the first game I saw him in. I reckon they should play him as a defender on the second tall considering we have no other talls. He only has to spoil and block and that's just about where he is.

Also I would prefer Buzza and Krueger up forward. That's their go.

Height 190ish.? Age? I mentioned this in anothe thread.. the heights are not getting smalled.. Henry is not that tall he relies on spring. Id like to have heard he was Blitz size..say 197 etc.

He might be 192 or 3 but no more. Schlensog is a big unit but not for this year and probably not next year. Still looks like a huge kid whose muscle hasn't pushed thru yet. From memory Esava had a similar look in his first year - now he is a massive unit.

Schlensog had a few possessions but a couple of clangers too. He did get to where the ball was tho which was an improvement on the first game I saw him in. I reckon they should play him as a defender on the second tall considering we have no other talls. He only has to spoil and block and that's just about where he is.

Also I would prefer Buzza and Krueger up forward. That's their go.

Not sure about that.. you have seen him more than me..but being a defender is not the easiest position for everyone. I think I remember someone saying at tac level he was mainly played forward.. he was still learning to read the play. Agility is probably more required down back than forward where you can mark and kick.

I do agree we lack a young class option thats quite tall...they are more kolo size..

He might be 192 or 3 but no more. Schlensog is a big unit but not for this year and probably not next year. Still looks like a huge kid whose muscle hasn't pushed thru yet. From memory Esava had a similar look in his first year - now he is a massive unit.

Schlensog has a frame on him for sure... I question just how much footy nous and skill is in that talent. Id never have thought Blitz to becomes what he has so ..who knows i guess

Schlensog has a frame on him for sure... I question just how much footy nous and skill is in that talent. Id never have thought Blitz to becomes what he has so ..who knows i guess
Agree.
Blicavs had the athletic ability in spades but had to learn the finer skills of the game. Schlensog has to develop both areas. He has the size and he is young and should develop strength but everything else will need a huge effort. While he wears the hoops I want him to kick on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back