Prediction 2019 Ladder Predictions + 2020 Ladder early Predictions ( Page 115+ )

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a very open field this year, and picking an actual ladder is hard. I'd rate the teams as follows:

PREMIERSHIP CONTENDERS: West Coast Eagles, Melbourne, Adelaide, Richmond, Hawthorn, GWS

FINALS CONTENDERS, BUT NOT PREMIERSHIP CONTENDERS: Sydney, Geelong, Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Brisbane Lions, Essendon

UNLIKELEY TO CHALLENGE FOR A FINALS POSITION: Fremantle, St. Kilda, Carlton, Collingwood, Gold Coast
Efa

After JLT 1 (obviously Collingwood vs Freo yet to occur):

1. WCE
2. Adelaide
3. Richmond
4. GWS
5. Hawthorn
6. Melbourne
7. Collingwood
8. Geelong
9. Sydney
10. Port
11. Essendon
12. North
13. Doggies
14. Carlton
15. Saints
16. GC
17. Freo
18. Lions

1. WCE
2. Adelaide
3. Richmond
4. GWS
5. Hawthorn
6. Melbourne
7. Collingwood
8. Geelong
9. Sydney
10. Port
11. Essendon
12. North
13. Doggies
14. Carlton
15. Saints
16. GC
17. Freo
18. Lions

Probs best not to rate based on JLT form. Carlton won their two games last year I believe, look how that turned out.

Probs best not to rate based on JLT form. Carlton won their two games last year I believe, look how that turned out.
On the contrary we beat St kilda which pretty much told us they would be no good and the hawks had 32 shots on goal so they only had to learn how to kick straight.

Lock in Essendon for a bad year is a definite take out of round 1 JLT

1. WCE
2. Adelaide
3. Richmond
4. GWS
5. Hawthorn
6. Melbourne
7. Collingwood
8. Geelong
9. Sydney
10. Port
11. Essendon
12. North
13. Doggies
14. Carlton
15. Saints
16. GC
17. Freo
18. Lions
Freo beat WC by 10 goals last year

On the contrary we beat St kilda which pretty much told us they would be no good and the hawks had 32 shots on goal so they only had to learn how to kick straight.

One team out of eighteen teams that was bad throughout the year even after JLT... Seems like JLT form still isn't an indicator of overall season performance...

Essendon were taking the piss.

Some key TOG stats for the game:

Carlton:

Cripps- 86%
Simpson- 87%
Newman- 87%
E Curnow- 80%
Walsh- 80%
SPS- 78%
Fisher- 77%
Daisy- 74%
Murphy- 72%

Essendon:

Merrett- 36%
Heppell- 39%
Smith- 48%
Shiel- 51%
Daniher- 56%

And on top of those heavily reduced minutes for Essendon's main midfield weapons, they reportedly started Heppell and Merrett on the wings, and Shiel up forward, so that they could let their 2nd-string midfield of McGrath, Parish and Langford take on Cripps and co in the middle.

So it looks like Essendon were using the game to slowly warm into things, while Carlton were pretty much going all-in to win- like last preseason, before proceeding to win 2 games for the season.

It was also played at Carlton's home/training ground. I was there for their game v us last year and they were being cheered on like it was a H&A game!

Last edited:
Essendon were taking the piss.

Some key TOG stats for the game:

Carlton:

Cripps- 86%
Simpson- 87%
Newman- 87%
E Curnow- 80%
Walsh- 80%
SPS- 78%
Fisher- 77%
Daisy- 74%
Murphy- 72%

Essendon:

Merrett- 36%
Heppell- 39%
Smith- 48%
Shiel- 51%
Daniher- 56%

And on top of those heavily reduced minutes for Essendon's main midfield weapons, they reportedly started Heppell and Merrett on the wings, and Shiel up forward, so that they could let their 2nd-string midfield of McGrath, Parish and Langford take on Cripps and co in the middle.

So it looks like Essendon were using the game to slowly warm into things, while Carlton were pretty much going all-in to win- like last preseason, before proceeding to win 2 games for the season.

It was also played at Carlton's home/training ground. I was there for their game v us last year and they were being cheered on like it was a H&A game!
Reading too deeply, it is only JLT cup

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good God, man.

Every scenario in life has situations when the trend is bucked.

But if you don't think clubs take JLT2 seriously when there are now only 2 practice games you're somewhat delusional.
Lets apply a little test.

What's the substantial benefit of winning?

I reckon St. Kilda are the hardest team to place and get a handle on this year. I just don't know what stage they are at or what the expectations are for the club. They look to be in no mans land, at least from my perspective. I like the club, their fans deserve success.

I agree Saints are hard to place, but IMO, they are no where near as bad a list as people are making out. Poor coaching IMO. They remind me so much of Richmond 2016, the first instincts of players last year was to look sideways, then backwards, then if nothing on the were forced to rush kicks forward. Totally overcoached. Can be a very difficult issue to fix as the coaches feel like they need to put in more effort to fix it, but whats actually needed is a step back and simplify the instructions, let guys play on instinct with simply generic team rules and structures.

They are IMO, definitely a case of a bad team making the players look bad, rather than bad players contributing to a bad team performance. If they can switch this around I can see them competing for the 8. Hopefully Ratts can come in and help them see from outside the bubble.

A lot of truth on that post I reckon.

Our gameplan and structure was a trainwreck last year, but it definitely looked a lot different and more efficient on the weekend.

Last year we were about 3rd in the comp for disposals per game, despite finishing 3rd-last, but on Saturday we had only 330-odd disposals- and about 140 less than North- and kicked the ball a lot more than we handballed it, and it worked much, much better.

Way more direct and way less stuffing around.

Ratten has been given the responsibility of coaching our transition (as we'll a season our forwardline) and it's already looking like paying divedends.

Last edited:
No-one cares about winning JLT2, after-all there are no 4 points on offer, but they do try to play close to their best team.

Which is the only point I was making.

Hardly groundbreaking stuff.
Neither is communicating effectively. Your previous post didn't say that.

Lets apply a little test.

What's the substantial benefit of winning?
A win, any win, is a confidence procedure and can only help culture.

Also, supposedly, the one good thing about this JLT community series is that it takes the game to regional areas where it might be difficult for the locals to attend normal season games. It could be someone's first ever game attending seeing their club (or just first ever game) and seeing a win may be really important for them and cap off a great day, a first footy memory if you will.

I get that arrogance in thinking you dont need to say what you mean is the core of the problem. I just feel obliged to try sometimes.
Too many dolts clog up this site.

This is the initial supposed offending post: JLT2 gives a far better indication than JLT1, as clubs use it as a dress rehearsal for round one.

Followed up with: But if you don't think clubs take JLT2 seriously when there are now only 2 practice games you're somewhat delusional.

Yet you manage to find issue with these posts. It's stating the obvious that clubs want to start getting their best team together for JLT2, as it's the last hitout.

That's hardly a controversial statement.

Look mate, I find you a constant annoyance. You have to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back