Prediction 2019 Ladder Predictions + 2020 Ladder early Predictions ( Page 115+ )

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too many dolts clog up this site.

This is the initial supposed offending post: JLT2 gives a far better indication than JLT1, as clubs use it as a dress rehearsal for round one.

Followed up with: But if you don't think clubs take JLT2 seriously when there are now only 2 practice games you're somewhat delusional.

Yet you manage to find issue with these posts. It's stating the obvious that clubs want to start getting their best team together for JLT2, as it's the last hitout.

That's hardly a controversial statement.

Look mate, I find you a constant annoyance. You have to go.
And how in your imperiousness do you intend to achieve that?

From the JLT1 game, it seems like St Kilda are employing the Richmond game plan. Direct disposals and not much of it for a high score. It’s exactly how Richmond have been playing over the last couple of years.

Let’s see if this continues in JLT2.

Probs best not to rate based on JLT form. Carlton won their two games last year I believe, look how that turned out.
Also last year -
Gold Coast smashed Geelong
Fremantle towelled up West Coast
GWS beat Collingwood by 60

As tempting as it is you can't take too much out of preseason games.

From the JLT1 game, it seems like St Kilda are employing the Richmond game plan. Direct disposals and not much of it for a high score. It’s exactly how Richmond have been playing over the last couple of years.

Let’s see if this continues in JLT2.
We've also targeted forward pressure and speed over the offseason, and it's looking like going from a real weakness last year (after being 2nd in F50 tackles to only Richmond in 2017) to a real strength again, with Long, Kent, Lonie and now the super-quick Matty Parker all looking like they're going too well to be left out of R1, if fit.

So I guess we'll be looking to get it in quickly, directly and efficiently to Bruce, Membrey and Paddy, with those others named above to crumb and/or lock it in there. With Gresham, Billings and Acres etc rotating through there as well.

Our forwardline was a hot mess last season, but it could easily become a strength this year.

After JLT 1 (obviously Collingwood vs Freo yet to occur):

1. WCE
2. Adelaide
3. Richmond
4. GWS
5. Hawthorn
6. Melbourne
7. Collingwood
8. Geelong
9. Sydney
10. Port
11. Essendon
12. North
13. Doggies
14. Carlton
15. Saints
16. GC
17. Freo
18. Lions
Surprised you have Collingwood 7th. I reckon they’ll be even stronger this year with the addition of beams.

Surprised you have Collingwood 7th. I reckon they’ll be even stronger this year with the addition of beams.

Problem with Beams is he’s great at getting the ball, good at kicking goals, but his defensive skills aren’t great. Also take into consideration that he’s pretty much one injury away from retirement. Given Collingwood’s injury record last year around the middle of the season, I can see him getting injured.

Could be wrong, but anything could happen during the season I guess.

After last night you'd have to say Dalhaus playing for the Cats is a positive for the Bulldogs.
So many people, especially journos, talking up how big a loss he is, but he wasn't even best 22 at our club by the end of the year, let alone at Geelong. The game seems to have gone past him, which is disappointing considering how exciting he was in his earlier years

Problem with Beams is he’s great at getting the ball, good at kicking goals, but his defensive skills aren’t great. Also take into consideration that he’s pretty much one injury away from retirement. Given Collingwood’s injury record last year around the middle of the season, I can see him getting injured.

Does Collingwood's training ground being on cement have any correlation with their injuries? Or are their amount of injuries exaggerated?

Omg having a bad luck with injuries does not mean it will continue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've also targeted forward pressure and speed over the offseason, and it's looking like going from a real weakness last year (after being 2nd in F50 tackles to only Richmond in 2017) to a real strength again, with Long, Kent, Lonie and now the super-quick Matty Parker all looking like they're going too well to be left out of R1, if fit.

So I guess we'll be looking to get it in quickly, directly and efficiently to Bruce, Membrey and Paddy, with those others named above to crumb and/or lock it in there. With Gresham, Billings and Acres etc rotating through there as well.

Our forwardline was a hot mess last season, but it could easily become a strength this year.
St Kilda’s the biggest enigma for me. I just don’t know where to put them on the ladder. A couple of years ago many thought they were on par with Melbourne and now they have enough experience into their youth to potentially make that leap to the top 8. Their game plan looked good as well. At the same time though, they finished in the bottom 4 last season.

Anywhere from top 6 to bottom 4 for me, which doesn’t narrow things down but I guess that the problem here.

St Kilda’s the biggest enigma for me. I just don’t know where to put them on the ladder. A couple of years ago many thought they were on par with Melbourne and now they have enough experience into their youth to potentially make that leap to the top 8. Their game plan looked good as well. At the same time though, they finished in the bottom 4 last season.

Anywhere from top 6 to bottom 4 for me, which doesn’t narrow things down but I guess that the problem here.

Would be shocked if they finished top 6 but agree they are pretty hard to place. I think at the least they'll avoid the bottom 4 in 2019.

dont back peddle to quickly, might do yourself an injury...
I am guessing you are a tad upset you went to all that trouble only to find out I couldn't care less Huh?

If i.was actually trying to prove JLT as meaningful I wouldn't have been referencing 2 Carlton games from last year, maybe something to take note of next time.

Everyone is one injury from retirement. Beams is a good enough footballer that literally every club I suspect would talk to him.

Pies ^ Beams/Elliott/Moore give Pies the edge ^
Eagles - solid team of contributors -
Dees ^ Starting to realize potential ^
Tiges v losing hunger v
Bombers ^ Daniher injury free + inclusion of Shiel ^
Crows ^ Sloane/Brouch overcome injury to establish form ^
Cats - Starting to find unity -
Freo ^ injection of talls and balance of contributors ^

I am guessing you are a tad upset you went to all that trouble only to find out I couldn't care less Huh?

If i.was actually trying to prove JLT as meaningful I wouldn't have been referencing 2 Carlton games from last year, maybe something to take note of next time.

Carlton trolls are so boring these days.

Would be shocked if they finished top 6 but agree they are pretty hard to place. I think at the least they'll avoid the bottom 4 in 2019.
To have been any chance to have finished top 6 we would have needed to have had a pretty bloody good injury run (in particular most or all of our top handful- Steven, Hannebery, Carlisle, Ross, Steele, Gresham, Roberton and Billings- having a relatively injury-free season), but Carlisle having hardly trained for weeks and looking like missing months or the year, Hannebery sounding like he's having the same type issues with his hammies that Nathan Freeman was, and Steven having his issues, brings our ceiling down a few rungs.

They're arguably our best 3, so it's not exactly ideal!

Yeah it's a big case of wait-and-see for us I think.

So much went badly last year that there was a lot to fix, so only time will tell how much of that has been accomplished.

We seem to have left no stone unturned looking for answers though (like bringing in Ratten, Lade, Billy Slater and Gubby Allen, etc, to help the football department get the best out of the team), we seem to have a new gameplan, a new fitness regime, that may or may not pay divedends (we reckon we're the fittest team in the comp, after a s**t-tonne of running this preseason), so I wouldn't be shocked at all if we bounced back to the sort of level we were at in 2016/17.

A bad injury run (especially combined with the draw we have between rounds 2 and 9- where we'd currently be expected to lose all of them) could easily see us finish bottom 4, or even lower though, and would be the end of Richo.

So-far-so-good though, with the way we played on the weekend. This week might tell us a bit more.

1st Richmond - Definitely the team to beat imo. Best team the last 2 years. Not much changes

2nd West Coast - Home ground advantage gives them 11/12 wins already, improved away record unbelievably last year (especially MCG), a fitter Kennedy spells disaster for opposition teams.

3rd Melbourne - This could be their year, right age, a few good pick ups. They just need the game plan to fall into place

4th Adelaide - Will definitely improve, a fit Tex, Sloane, Smith and B Crouch should see them rise well in the 8

5th Collingwood - Soft draw last year, went 1-8 against top 8 teams in the H&A last year, they do that this year and they go 12-10 for the year.

6th Geelong - Will be there abouts, few good kids coming through, solid defence, great mids and a fit forward line. Could be anywhere from 2nd to 8th imo.

7th GWS - Top end talent will get them here, will develop a few. Need to let the likes of Deledio and Shaw go at years end if not earlier.

8th Essendon - Almost there, still are a few years off contending for the top 4. Daniher fires, who knows.

Premier: Richmond
Coleman: Josh Kennedy (wc)
Brownlow: Dangerfield
Rising Star: Walsh

Had a go at the ladder predictor, the W/L count is in brackets

1. Richmond (19-3)
2. Adelaide (17-5)
3. Melbourne (15-7)
4. Geelong (15-7)
5. Collingwood (14-8)
6. West Coast (14-8)
7. Essendon (13-9)
8. GWS (11-11)

9. North (11-11)
10. Sydney (10-12)
11. Hawthorn (9-13)
12. Port (9-13)
13. Brisbane (9-13)
14. Fremantle (9-13)
14. St Kilda (7-15)
15. Western Bulldogs (5-17)
16. Carlton (2-20)
17. Gold Coast (1-21)

Given average tipping outcomes, the ladder is 30-35% incorrect, however
- Richmond I think are in the box seat for a dominant H&A season
- Geelong I think are guaranteed additional wins on account of having such a strong home ground advantage
- Realistically I think Carlton will more likely have a 4-5 win season as opposed to 2
- Because they're my team I'll provide further comment. I see Port as sitting in a vulnerable position where they're potentially sitting 1-5 after round 6. Tough draw with 6-7 guaranteed wins, 6-7 50/50 games and the rest as likely losses.
- I think some ladder climbers are more a result of good coaching/club standards as opposed to good lists (Brisbane, Geelong).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back