2020-21 CA National Contracted players.

Remove this Banner Ad

CA men's contract list: Ashton Agar, Joe Burns, Alex Carey, Pat Cummins, Aaron Finch, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Tim Paine, James Pattinson, Jhye Richardson, Kane Richardson, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa

CA women's contract list: Nicola Carey, Ashleigh Gardner, Rachael Haynes, Alyssa Healy, Jess Jonassen, Delissa Kimmince, Meg Lanning, Tahlia McGrath, Sophie Molineux, Beth Mooney, Ellyse Perry, Megan Schutt, Annabel Sutherland, Tayla Vlaeminck, Georgia Wareham

Think I fall into the group with robelinda in wondering how Agar gets a contract. Would think Khawaja has more value to give Australian Cricket than Ashton.

Agar being in the T20 and ODI squads, going into a year where they hope to be having a T20 world cup would presumably be why he's been given a contract over Khawaja who currently isn't any of the teams

Agar being in the T20 and ODI squads, going into a year where they hope to be having a T20 world cup would presumably be why he's been given a contract over Khawaja who currently isn't any of the teams

Ussie is probably done. Very good ODI opener, but won't play over Finch and Warner, and with the WC 3yrs away selectors surely will start looking at younger opening options should Finch and Warner be unavailable at any point. Obviously won't be getting the number 3 spot from Marnus anytime soon. Possibly a way back in as an opener in the test side should Burns not hold the spot down, but he needs shield runs and he was dreadful last season. I think we have seen the last of him for Australia.

Agar has been great with the ball in T20's recently, and with the T20 WC coming up (maybe) it's not surprising to see him with a contract.

and what side is M.Marsh in?
World Cup bench warmer and not a test player atm.

All the outs are fair enough decisions, two of the ins are dubious.

and what side is M.Marsh in?
World Cup bench warmer and not a test player atm.
he’s played in the most recent T20s and ODIs so he’s clearly in the thinking there
Possibly a way back in as an opener in the test side should Burns not hold the spot down, but he needs shield runs and he was dreadful last season.
agreed, given Burns didn’t have an overly impressive summer, a good run of form in the shield for khawaja would probably see him back in the conversation

What's Australia's top 14/15 in each format?

Test: Burns, Warner, Lab, Smith, Head, Wade, Maddinson, Paine, Carey, Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood, Pattinson, Torz jr, Lyon

ODI: Finch, Warner, Smith, Lab, Wade, Maxwell, M Marsh, Carey, Cummins, Starc, Richardson x2, Agar, Zampa

T20: Finch, Warner, Smith, Maxwell, M Marsh, Carey, Short, Head, Wade, Starc, Richardson x2, Behrendorff, Agar, Zampa

Of those, only Maddinson and Short missed out. Completely understandable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agar, Burns, Richardson x 2 and MM could all go easy enough from that list and just be upgraded if they actually play enough games during the year.
Seems good to me. Separate the wheat from the chaff.

Agar isn't much chop but Usman Koala is a pea heart despite all the talent.

Yes is going to go down one of our great cricketing disappointments. Should have been mainstay in the side and had a very good career. Instead been patchy and in and out due to nothing else but his remarkable laziness and sense of entitlement that saw him refuse to work on and develop himself and his game at all.

Biggest surprise for me was finding out that Marnus Labuschagne was not considered worthy of a contract this time last year... Crazy considering what he’s done since.

There’s a couple of guys that wouldn’t be there without a t20 World Cup around the corner (it will happen guys) - taking that into consideration there’s no complaints form me.

Generally speaking test players always get in and tbh I could barely put a finger on who else outside of that group will get a game in the next 12 months. T20 World Cup wise I think only 3-4 guys from outside that group are really much of a chance. Of those that come to mind straight away some are injury prone quicks who are just as likely to be on the sidelines in October anyway.

Last edited:
Has agar done anything to be considered a key member of the odi side? He averages 20 with the bat and 60 with the ball

Not really, but we don't really have any other limited overs spin options aside from Zampa so I guess he kind of makes odi squads as the 2nd spinner by default. He definitely makes our T20 side though.

as a bowler? His average is about 16 lower and his economy is almost a run an over better

Had a very good season last year. Very good Big Bash and was in the test squad for the Sydney test. They rate him. Can’t see them bothering with Lyon again in limited overs cricket.

I still think 20 CA contracts is too many, maybe 15 is the "magic number"?
Agree, especially this year with cutbacks happening in every facet of society. Agar and MM very fortunate, especially considering how many chances they have already been given.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back