List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals - Part 2 (The 2020 Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My FWIW Ranking (of who we should get if available):

1 - McDonald (expect to be our no.1 KPF long term, allows McCartin to stay back) - unlikely to be available
2 - DGB / Phillips (can't really split these 2 - rationale below)
3 - Hollands (purely injury concerns, otherwise probably at no.2)
4 - Thilthorpe (arguments about in-between fwd/ruck, injury worries have lessened enthusiasm - still seems to be pretty highly rated)

Phillips sounds like he'd be a fantastic get. Within a few years, a combo of a near retirement Parker, along with Rowbottom, Hewett, and part-time Stephens, could have a good inside brigade ready for a flag attempt. Add to that however Blakey, Florent, Warner, Campbell, Gulden, Heeney contribute to mids. In preparation for some of the objections to my rationale for DGB, if we were to pick Phillips, keep McCartin down back and resolve our KPF issues some other way, I'd be fine with that.

DGB though, I'm still pretty happy with at our first pick. Yes, we need a KPF and probably good-gun inside mid for our next flag run. But I'm not as bullish on our key back stocks as others, especially with Aliir gone. Of players that are definite key backs and have played more than a handful of games there, we have Rampe (he'll probably not see our next flag)... Melican, Brand, maybe Gould. Melican can be very good, but even this year, showed he can also be very bad. Brand seemed solid in limited gametime, but wouldn't rate him as a lock. Gould, while I'm confident on him, remains to be seen whether he plays as a genuine 1-on-1 tall role. 'But McCartin' I hear you say - yes, he played very well in a few games, and he'd probably go on to be a great defender - but it's still only based on a few games, he was played down back when injuries required it, plus if he was able to play forward, it lessens our issues there (good contested grab, still quite young). I'd submit the same argument people are making about picking a KPF over a KPD at no.3, also applies somewhat when locking McCartin down back, when all signs point to him having a bright future up front too.

Basically, I think it all comes down to whether the club sees DGB as having the ability to go 1-on-1 when required, and relying on others e.g. Melican to have tighter defensive roles. Evidence suggests he can. And whether the clubs rates someone like Phillips over who we might get at 1st pick next year (with fewer key position stocks apparently, albeit who knows with the limited analysis this year).

Last edited:
1. JUH (Dogs bravely match bid)
2. Thilthorpe (Crows)
3. McD (Norf)
4. DGB (Cheer Cheer)
5. Phillips (Poo n Wee)
6. Bruhn (GC)
7. Campbell (Swans match Dodoro)
8. Reid (Dodoro)
9. Perkins (Dodoro)
10. Henry (Dodoro)

Wouldn't be surprised at all if this were the top 5. Would hope Campbell gets bid on by Essendon's 3rd pick at earliest, but given who they are, who knows.

The problem we have with Campbell and Gulden is they have more exposed form than many others (from this year at least). I certainly hope clubs are put off by Gulden's height (they shouldn't be) and he slips well into the 20s. The gap between Campbell and Gulden bids, while hopefully sizeable (unless Campbell slips), is probably unjustified since up until late last year, Gulden was the one with more hype, and not sure there's been enough to overturn that to the extent they're being rated.

1. JUH (Dogs bravely match bid)
2. Thilthorpe (Crows)
3. McD (Norf)
4. DGB (Cheer Cheer)
5. Phillips (Poo n Wee)
6. Bruhn (GC)
7. Campbell (Swans match Dodoro)
8. Reid (Dodoro)
9. Perkins (Dodoro)
10. Henry (Dodoro)

No flag push until we get some depth and a graders through the middle imo

Could be a while , not sure how some are just plucking years to when we are suppose to be pushing again
But if they are not there at our pick this year. What do we do at pick 3?
If say McDonald and Hollands(your pick) are gone before our pick, who would you select?

I like Holland's from small sample

Think he is xfactor the best teams in comp have and we need

Assuming McDonald is off the table ideally I want Hollands too. Have a feeling the Crows may actually select Hollands at 1, just a gut feeling.

ONLY A MOCK ON BF BUT.....

There's a live mock draft going on at the moment. The posters seem to know their stuff so i put some value in it. Anyway, we got DGB, Campbell, Gulden, Neale and Lazarro. No deficit.

Anyway, talking points from picks.

They had Campbell at 8 and Gulden at 28, which still left us live with a pick in the 40's, where we took Neale.

4 NGA picks between Campbell and Gulden. Downie (Hawthorn NGA) and Walker (Freo NGA) were taken before.

If things fell that way would we pass or pick on those last 2.

As a draft hypothetical thats absolute gold! What do you reckon?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No flag push until we get some depth and a graders through the middle imo

Could be a while , not sure how some are just plucking years to when we are suppose to be pushing again

No-one really knows when we'll be able to push for a flag again. Maybe it's a mini-dip before we spring back up i.e. we just missed 2 years of finals instead of 1 like in 2002, or 2009. Maybe when Rampe, Buddy, JPK and Sam Gray retire - we wallow down the bottom for decades.

The way I look at it, is getting some A grade talent in each line (not A grade as in high draft picks necessarily, but A grade as in playing the role we need, at a high level, and a good fit for our team (partially why I like DGB even compared to Phillips)). I just look at inside or part-time inside mids like an ageing Parker, established quality like Hewett and Heeney, and up and comers like Rowbottom, Stephens as all being part of our planned best 22 in 3-4 years when we 'might' be able to push for a flag again. X Factor isn't something I'm convinced we need - Blakey, Papley, Heeney, Dawson, Stephens, McInerney are all capable of that, or at least classy and innovative ball use. This also ignores any Florent improvement, Warner ending up near what we obviously rated him, how Campbell and Gulden turn out etc. I also look at our key defenders in the same light and can only see McCartin (if we rob our forward line) and maybe Melican in a good year, as being at the same projected, even actual, level as our (deeper) midfield in 3-4 years.

PS. The Sam Gray reference was a joke.

I’m a massive hater of the Dogs and the whole way the umpiring went that day but.....

Easton Wood called Hanners up during their celebrations to ask if he was ok and apologise. The incident is footy, the non call stunk but much respect for Easton Wood at least for the follow up.
Na f k him!

I’ll be annoyed if we pass on McDonald if that is the draft that happens! Adelaide taking Thilhorpe would ease my main concern though!

Yeah i'm not sure you can take this one from Cal too seriously. Sounds like he's not getting solid intel. Crows bidding on McInnes and Pies not matching is pure rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back