List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He only weighs 7 Kilos less than Lachie Neale, who is 1cm taller, and Shai Bolton, who has been amazing in the tigers midfield is 77kg.

I don't think he should be in the midfield immediately, but I also think he doesn't have to change much to have a strong impact.

Talking of G-B the 195 cm KPD ?

Looks like Geelong are getting their media lackeys to try and prevent Constable leaving

He might get one next week the way poor old GAJ waddled around ball chasing yesterday.
Anyways I'm sure he'll be in Vic with all that interest in him from the Melbourne clubs. Would take a big offer to get him here, and not sure that's justifiable at this stage.

Seen him live in multiple WAFL games.

I view him as a stand-out talent, with the potential to be an absolute star - albeit I do understand why some feel we should prioritise positions other than tall defenders at this point.

However, I can’t comprehend your “something off” comment.

He is a good talent but see him in an intercept position not a KPD.

Something off more as in not sure what it is bit feel it won't translate to AFL/will not be as effective at next level. Likely wrong, but one of those gut feels.

He is a good talent but see him in an intercept position not a KPD.

Something off more as in not sure what it is bit feel it won't translate to AFL/will not be as effective at next level. Likely wrong, but one of those gut feels.
An inteceptor IS a KPD - you can't be one and not the other unless you have the vertical leap of Vince Carter.
Just looking at pics of him - he's bigger than 78kgs anyways, looks well into 80s now.
But I'd still rather Phillips, particularly the way Tommy McCartin was intercepting like McGovern the last 3 rounds.

We were thinking long term.
We had a limited budget Punts. The position we are operating in is
1. Buddy 1.5m next year. This restricts us but its not a big problem. We are developing.
2. We need experience to fill the gaps, hence Gray and Taylor came in cheap. We have to fill the cap as all clubs have to pay between 95 and 105 of the cap. These guys where brought in just so that we can play our gun draftees and fill in when we rest them. I reckon we have gone 95. I hope so.
3. We want to expose our draftees to AFL. These guys were only brought in as cheap stop gaps. We are building for a premiership not like anything we have planned before. this is a cold hard premiership build. We will not cut corners. Lots on here complain about bringing in big names. Just look at Essendon. We are building the next, I believe 10+ year domination like we did over the last 20 years. Sustained success.
4. We will continue to go to the draft. No sustained success happens when you stop juniors joining your ranks.
5. Buddy's 1.5 will reduce to 1m in 22.
6. We have 2 academy kids coming in. In Gulden, and I'm mentioning him first, he is a contested beast. I hope he moves Papley forward permanently. Campbell is class inside, outside, forward. I hope he slots in seamlessly.
7. I hope we get Will Phillips. He will complement Rowbottom in the mids until the next premiership. May Captain it.
8. As I see it we need a number 1 ruck but sinkers and AA will get us through anotheryear
9. We need another rookie ruck that will hopefully develop into a number 1 ruck
10. Finally. We need to draft Cameron.

Stand to be corrected but I think Buddy is 1m next year not 1.5m.Could be even lower in his last year.

An inteceptor IS a KPD - you can't be one and not the other unless you have the vertical leap of Vince Carter.
Just looking at pics of him - he's bigger than 78kgs anyways, looks well into 80s now.
But I'd still rather Phillips, particularly the way Tommy McCartin was intercepting like McGovern the last 3 rounds.

Disagree on that.

An interceptor is usually the third tall in defence that is allowed to roam and cut into the lead patterns of all forwards and not assigned to a KPF.

I do not think DGB will be a CHB or FB at AFL level.

Stand to be corrected but I think Buddy is 1m next year not 1.5m.Could be even lower in his last year.
I was under the impression that Buddys on $1.5m - 2021 & $700k - 2022 (could very well be wrong)
for such a public contract, Im amazed that no-one seems to actually know what it is
Disagree on that.

An interceptor is usually the third tall in defence that is allowed to roam and cut into the lead patterns of all forwards and not assigned to a KPF.

I do not think DGB will be a CHB or FB at AFL level.
He obviously a highly talented draftee (top 5) and quick + agile for any human that's 195cm.
So where is his position?

I was under the impression that Buddys on $1.5m - 2021 & $700k - 2022 (could very well be wrong)
for such a public contract, Im amazed that no-one seems to actually know what it is

He obviously a highly talented draftee (top 5) and quick + agile for any human that's 195cm.

Third tall is where he plays best.

The graphic that was going around had 1.5m in 2021 and 1m in 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I miss Mumford. Has the biggest chest on any human being I have ever seen. I remember an interview with him where he said after a tackle he used to lie on top of blokes and watch them gasp for air. It was one of his ways to intimate the opposition and also tire opponents.

Toss up with Barry Round IMO

That surprises me as I thought his highest pay year would have been in the middle of the contract but I suspect the reason for it being 2020/21 would be in case of tempting offers from other clubs in the late 2010's.Lets hope he gets on the park next season as $1.5m is a lot of money.

The reason is would have been designed to scale up this way is the club anticipated the salary cap would scale up significantly towards the end of his deal (which has materialised).

There is a bit more than 2m extra cap space since the 2017 CBA was signed (covid stuff aside).

He is playing genuine CHB in the WAFL, at age 18, against mature bodies (including ex-AFL players).

With further physical development, I see no reason he won’t be a key position player at AFL level.

I know, just a feeling on my end. Likely to be completely wrong and will not be unhappy if we pick him.

The reason is would have been designed to scale up this way is the club anticipated the salary cap would scale up significantly towards the end of his deal (which has materialised).

There is a bit more than 2m extra cap space since the 2017 CBA was signed (covid stuff aside).
I also think that the Swans were planning a rebuild after most of the 2016 GF players retired.. and thought a few years going to the draft and subsequently paying 1st - 5th year player wages, would result in being able to afford to pay Buddy more in his latter years. All this while being able to keep top (well paid) players from 2014-2017 when our premiership window was wide open.
Im sure there are many, varied and well thought out reasons for the structure of his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back