List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’d get both but McCartin needs a year in the new VFL comp to see how he goes.
McCartin has most of the skills and supposedly has trained well, lost weight and hardened up. I agree he would need to start in Ressies but I reckon we'd know in 3 or 4 games if he's up to it. Then it's a question of if he's better than Reid, Sinkers or McLean which is a possibility.

Yes to Hogan!! It is a salary dump, won't cost us much more that late second, early third.
it costs a list spot at the very least, going forward there are not going to be as many of these.

Freo trade pick 6 or Lachie Neale for Hogan, and 2 years later they want to get rid of him.

If that isn't a red flag, I don't know what is.

Fair analysis.

If one of crows or NM decide they want to play silly buggers and bid on Campbell, a strong part of me wants us to pass.

If it leaves McDonald and/or Hollands on the table, would be worth doing.

Would we do it? Honestly no idea

I think it is about 1000-1 that a club is going to play games with a top 3 pick.

If a bid comes from Adelaide or North, it will be because they think Campbell is worthy of that selection - which while not ideal, would still be a good result.

Whoever gets Hogan won't have to give up much - as Freo are desperate to offload him.

Its an absolute buyer's market in that regard.
Its true, but you may also not get much. If we take Hogan, then McCartin has to be out of the picture and vice versa. We cannot throw away list spots I reckon.

Have you seen our list? We have more than enough list cloggers that we could offload.
Exactly, its why I wouldn't want to waste spots on a player who has not got it right at 2 clubs now, Hogan should be valued enough by Freo not to want to lose him, he isn't, and their forward line still needs help. There is an issue there.

Tom McCartin is still 20. So I don't think the club will lock him into one position.

I think if Brand is fit next season. He will be selected as the bigger KPD in our defence.
I agree about Brand being a big body to put up against Dixon etc but I would persevere with Tom at CHB. Melican would be in my Ressies unless Brand can't cut it, even then maybe.
My best back seven
FB Brand
CHB McCartin
BP1 Cunningham
BP2 (loose man) Rampe
HBF1 Mills
HBF2 (loose man) Aliir
Distributor Lloyd
Next up
Fox
Thurlow
Melican
Ling
Gould
Dawson (prefer on wing HHF)

Its true, but you may also not get much. If we take Hogan, then McCartin has to be out of the picture and vice versa. We cannot throw away list spots I reckon.

Hogan/McCartin or Amartey/McLean?

(Or none of the above / cut ‘em all)

I don't get why some people post like McCartin's health issues are our responsibility. We aren't his parents.

Surely if McCartin wants to play for us and he is medically cleared to play, the only question is whether he makes sense from a Football perspective.
I respectfully disagree.

With everything we know about concussion and CTE in 2020, it has to be a huge factor in whether a club would run him out on to the paddock.

In the unlikely event that the medical staff determined he was at no increased risk of brain injury then sure, let him play.

But if he's even 10% more susceptible to having his future destroyed - which is what's potentially on the line here - I wouldn't feel comfortable seeing him out there for anyone, let alone the Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he'll cost more than a 3rd round pick but definitely worth the punt

Possibly though Freo seem keen to move him out(*) and I don’t think he’ll have a line up of suitors.

I do share reservations about his mental well-being but could be worth a punt.

*maybe

Last edited:
Hogan/McCartin or Amartey/McLean?

(Or none of the above / cut ‘em all)

How many more delisting do we have in us. Dependant on list sizes obviously, but I wonder are we thinking more delistings or trades?

Hogan is far from perfect on and off the field (though him returning to Perth where his problems originated was never a good idea), but he would be an improvement on Reid, Sinclair, McLean and Amartey, our current options for second key forwards in 2021.

How many more delisting do we have in us. Dependant on list sizes obviously, but I wonder are we thinking more delistings or trades?

Well I think we may have to move more on one way or another.

Currently we have only delisted 1 senior listed player and 4 rookie listed players.
That means we currently have 37 senior listed players. So unless the senior lists stay at 40 and we go against our previous history by having 40 on the senior list then we will need to delist more senior players.

I suspect we will trade Ronke. Amartey needs to come onto the senior list (3rd year rookie) so if we get another young ruck I reckon he is gone. Foot I think has possibly been lucky to survive.

I think it is about 1000-1 that a club is going to play games with a top 3 pick.

If a bid comes from Adelaide or North, it will be because they think Campbell is worthy of that selection - which while not ideal, would still be a good result.

Agree, doubt that they will play games.

Have Campbell about pick 7 or so. Great skill set, just needed to see him get 20 odd disposals a game at champions level this year to confirm if top 5.

The guy has failed at two clubs for a reason.
Has he really failed? He had some good seasons at Melbourne, as a relatively young KPF. Then he had his father die and testicular cancer in the same year. There hasn't been anything suggesting lax training standards apart from one incident in which he presented for training unfit (different versions of whether drunk or hungover). He then had the prolonged navicular issues-sometimes the " kiss of death" for footballers. No one really knows how to interpret "mental health" break, but I would have thought his navicular was more of an issue than his mental health. He had some reasonable games for Freo; he is always up there for km/game. It hasn't been his fault that the midfield either didn't kick to him in space, or kicked it over his head. Freo's issue is his salary.

Imagine landing Patrick McCartin, Jesse Hogan too. Would like to have a dip at [PLAYERCARD]Richard Tambling and Jack Watts to get the whole box and dice set.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree.

With everything we know about concussion and CTE in 2020, it has to be a huge factor in whether a club would run him out on to the paddock.

In the unlikely event that the medical staff determined he was at no increased risk of brain injury then sure, let him play.

But if he's even 10% more susceptible to having his future destroyed - which is what's potentially on the line here - I wouldn't feel comfortable seeing him out there for anyone, let alone the Swans.

At some point though, there has to be some responsibility on the player to make their own decisions.

I am not suggesting we send out a player who is serious danger to himself. But if doctors say he is fine, and McCartin understands the risks then I don't feel like it is our responsibility to come over the top and say no.

Otherwise you would be retiring off half the league by the time they are 25.

Has he really failed? He had some good seasons at Melbourne, as a relatively young KPF. Then he had his father die and testicular cancer in the same year. There hasn't been anything suggesting lax training standards apart from one incident in which he presented for training unfit (different versions of whether drunk or hungover). He then had the prolonged navicular issues-sometimes the " kiss of death" for footballers. No one really knows how to interpret "mental health" break, but I would have thought his navicular was more of an issue than his mental health. He had some reasonable games for Freo; he is always up there for km/game. It hasn't been his fault that the midfield either didn't kick to him in space, or kicked it over his head. Freo's issue is his salary.
Give them a 2nd rounder and they pay half his salary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back