List Mgmt. 2021 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Many on here seem to rate Amiss higher than JVR and indeed so does the draft predictor , But the games I have seen I would be rating them the opposite way round.
I watched them both in the EP v Claremont final. Amiss just oozes class. JVR kicked 3 that day and I didn’t even realise it. His next to games including the GF convinced me is going to be a CM beast.
Ive said it before I rate them both and want both of them. They are a different style of player and would complement each other going forward and add treacy to that a we have a match wining forward line if they develop as hoped.

North - Horne
Collingwood - Daicos
WBD - Darcy
GWS - Callaghan
GC - Ward
Sydney - Gibcus
Hawthorn - Andrew
Fremantle - Erasmus
Richmond - Hobbs
Fremantle - Rachele
Saints - Draper
West Coast - NWM
Essendon - Sonsie
Adelaide - Roberts
GWS - Amiss
Brisbane - Sinn
Richmond - Johnson
Port - Goater
Melbourne - JVR
Brisbane - Chesser
Fremantle - Williams
Don't think Amiss will get past Fremantle at pick 10 and if still there i can see us taking him at 9. Johnson wont get past WCE at 12 if they go a mid but i could see them taking JVR here as well with Kennedy entering his last year...

Don't think Amiss will get past Fremantle at pick 10 and if still there i can see us taking him at 9. Johnson wont get past WCE at 12 if they go a mid but i could see them taking JVR here as well with Kennedy entering his last year...
Yep all plausible

I am for a bit of conservatism this draft year. Lets load up on Eramus/Rachele, JVR or Eramus, JVR and Williams. JVR can play KPD if required. I rather we have a swingman...a role B Cox can also play

If you can't kick beyond 50, you're not a KPF. Much too easy to blanket if you have a hard range limitation.

Erasmus, Rachele, JVR pls. Trade up if you must.

We probably won't be able to nab Mac.
100%.

So easy to defend to a leading up tall who can't kick 50.

I look at Amiss.

Massively skinny shoulders.

So would you rather he had a high ball drop & kick 36.29 instead of 51.14 this season, just so he had a chance of kicking beyond 50?
He’s 17 & worked on accuracy, ball drop, staying over the ball & had great success. The length of kick will come with muscle development & timing, but without changing his technique too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re Amiss v JVR - I'll back our recruiters in. They will have all the vision and I'm sure they'll pick the right person.

This board's favourites is normally dictated by short highlights packages or short summaries/biographies. Two years ago, people we're fuming when it looked like we'll pick up Serong.. How Sewrong they were.
I have watched JVR play 4 full games and Amiss 3 . So a little more than just a highlights reel.

I have watched JVR play 4 full games and Amiss 3 . So a little more than just a highlights reel.
If Amiss could convert his freakish accuracy to AFL level it would add something that is almost unprecedented in dockers history. We would just need to devise a game plan that gets him 4 set shots a game within 40m and we are talking 3 goals a game, 60 goals a season from him.
It’s always been a feeling of 10 years hard labour to score goals for the dockers (to borrow a phrase from the purple reign boys).
We are the most inaccurate goal kickers in the league.
That familiar momentum sucking feeling that we all get several times a game (and the associated lift to the opposition) when a freo player misses a routine set shot would be reduced as an added bonus if Amiss develops as expected.

If Amiss could convert his freakish accuracy to AFL level it would add something that is almost unprecedented in dockers history. We would just need to devise a game plan that gets him 4 set shots a game within 40m and we are talking 3 goals a game, 60 goals a season from him.
It’s always been a feeling of 10 years hard labour to score goals for the dockers (to borrow a phrase from the purple reign boys).
We are the most inaccurate goal kickers in the league.
That familiar momentum sucking feeling that we all get several times a game (and the associated lift to the opposition) when a freo player misses a routine set shot would be reduced as an added bonus if Amiss develops as expected.
We had a guy called Mayne who was deadly accurate for a season or two . Finished his career on a HBF.

This has records of where every team/player takes their shots on goal (Rd 1 2018 - Rd 6 2021 ... unfortunately it seems they have stopped updating ... maybe there is another website which tracks this?). Have a look yourself and make your own mind up about how important it is to be able to kick from distance.

A few first impressions ... percentage of total shots (general in-play + set shots) taken from outside 50:

Tex 45% (accuracy 49%) (my first thought of the gold standard from distance)
Fogarty 53% (accuracy 50%) (my first thought as the best kick on goal in comp, numbers seem to confirm it)
Buddy 51% (accuracy 41%)
Hogan 16% (accuracy 33%)
Lobb 27% (accuracy 25%)
McCarthy 38% (accuracy 47%)
Taberner 14% (accuracy 22%)

Tex and Buddy are probably anomalies with how many they take. But it shows how much of a weapon it is for them. Most of the main key forwards I checked were in the 30% range and a bit less accurate than Buddy.

On the flipside, most teams seem to be in the 45-47% range (including complete misses) for all shots, which to be honest is pathetic. If Amiss is kicking extra straight from the closer shots then maybe it balances out. Pair him with Treacy's long bombs and maybe it is not a concern. The question would be is Amiss capable of generating shots at AFL level close to goal?

One thing which stands out to me is how useless Taberner is from distance. It's something I have always thought without knowing the numbers, but now I have confirmed it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back