List Mgmt. 2022 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals: Kinnear & Dalrymple - we march to no drum but our own!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trading in talls that are not the best would have satisfied you tonight.
I trust the recruiters have a plan for talls.
We traded in Francis as KPD. tick.
The rrokie draft starts tomorrow.
We will pick up a ruck I reckon. tick.
There were no KPFs rated at our picks. McDonald is the future. We also have two young KPF in Amartey and McLean.

We have Francis as KPD.
Cat A rokie ruck tomorrow I reckon.
There were no rated KPF at our picks.

I just don't see what more could have been done to satisfy your concerns.

Bear in mind that next year we have two extra picks. KPF could be on the radar as a trade or draft pick. As could another ruck.
We haven't drafted a mid yet, I don't have much confidence we'll grab a ruck tomorrow. It would improve the draft in my view.

Clogging the list with talls we don't rate.

There's something to gain from drafting quality players we don't have a need or spot for. There's nothing to gain from drafting spuds.
I think they'll be wrong about some of them being spuds, I refer to my point about not all the other list managers who picked some being idiots.

Trading in talls that are not the best would have satisfied you tonight.
I trust the recruiters have a plan for talls.
We traded in Francis as KPD. tick.
The rrokie draft starts tomorrow.
We will pick up a ruck I reckon. tick.
There were no KPFs rated at our picks. McDonald is the future. We also have two young KPF in Amartey and McLean.

We have Francis as KPD.
Cat A rokie ruck tomorrow I reckon.
There were no rated KPF at our picks.

I just don't see what more could have been done to satisfy your concerns.

Bear in mind that next year we have two extra picks. KPF could be on the radar as a trade or draft pick. As could another ruck.

I don't think we can trust or rely on trading anymore. I mean 15 years ago yes but these days it seems much much harder to trade for quality players to fill a need as players simply don't want to come.

I mean post Buddy who have we traded for that has made the Swans best 22 and clearly been a success? I can think of Hickey right off the bat but other than that it isn't a big list.

So 4 in the last 11 years isn't a great endorsement. Also other than Blicavs none of them are stars, they are mostly pretty workmanlike.
Yeah, but we're not talking about drafting stars. That's some pretty dramatic goalpost shifting.

We're talking about drafting talls we don't rate as AFL quality.

Marshall is a star when he can stay fit.

Also, look at the smalls included on the list via the link I shared. Nothing to write home about either for the most part. Take any of those talls over Gibbons, Noble, D. Lloyd, Turner, or Roarke Smith any day.

I think they'll be wrong about some of them being spuds, I refer to my point about not all the other list managers who picked some being idiots.
You're entitled to think they'll be wrong but they're also entitled to think they'll be right.

I reckon the latter wins every game.
But we're not picking them for the purposes of playing one another, we're picking them to play the best footballers in the country.

Any player we don't rate as potential AFL quality is a liability and wasted list spot - big or small.

I don't think we can trust or rely on trading anymore. I mean 15 years ago yes but these days it seems much much harder to trade for quality players to fill a need as players simply don't want to come.

I mean post Buddy who have we traded for that has made the Swans best 22 and clearly been a success? I can think of Hickey right off the bat but other than that it isn't a big list.

When you say it's harder to trade for quality players these days - do you mean specifically for us or across the competition?

Since we traded for Buddy we haven't had the cap space to trade in another big fish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you say it's harder to trade for quality players these days - do you mean specifically for us or across the competition?

Since we traded for Buddy we haven't had the cap space to trade in another big fish.

For us. We have really struggled post Buddy in recruit players. I can't think of any best 22 players we have taken from another club since we got Buddy in 2013 whereas in the early 2000's it was much easier.

But we're not picking them for the purposes of playing one another, we're picking them to play the best footballers in the country.

Any player we don't rate as potential AFL quality is a liability and wasted list spot - big or small.
My point was around not having rucks or KPPs when you need them.

I'm not saying we need a mid, I'm saying the club will probably go for a mid.
You are usually such a measured poster. I think you are jumping at shadows.
KPD is not a problem. We have 5. Plus Rampe. Even if we lost 2 next year the ages of those we have will sustain us.
Mids are not a problem. Except that they are young. That cannot be fixed by drafting more.
Ruck is an issue which I reckon we will partially address tomorrow. Reid may play on in 24. Jesus may hand around in 24 like Sinkers did.
KPF could not be addressed in this draft.

Its not perfect. But it is all manageable.

And next year we have 2 extra picks.

KPD is not a problem. We have 5. Plus Rampe. Even if we lost 2 next year the ages of those we have will sustain us.
Mids are not a problem. Except that they are young. That cannot be fixed by drafting more.
Ruck is an issue which I reckon we will partially address tomorrow. Reid may play on in 24. Jesus may hand around in 24 like Sinkers did.

The really big key forwards rip us apart. Neither McCartin can go with the guys closer to 200cm.

Hmmn … my first comment tonight ….
armour plated with three mugs of cocoa and hemlock….wait no…cocoa and rum,

Good luck to each of the three kids we picked up.

When developed Jacob should add class to the fwd line. Hopefully he becomes the player we thought Ronke might become.

we do need a skilled small defender. Harry is close to cooked and Lloyd is in the latter part of his career. Provided he develops Vickery will get his chance. I liked the Mitchell highlights. He looks a robust type.

The draft addressed a need for outside types. There is not much in the Ressies. I am not convinced by Sheather or Corey W and do not believe they provide much depth.

for me the Trade period was the let down. Francis is an upgrade on Melican but unless there is a big jump he will be cover for the McToughies.

We are carrying players on top dollars who let us down in the GF. I.would not been averse to trading out one or both of Parker or Heeney provided we got a decent return. Bud is off the books at end 2023 and I hope we are ruthless in getting in a star mid and quality ruckman and quality Kip. and trade out those that don’t deliver in big games next year.

I believe the club should have depth at reserves level for backup, competition and development. Since it takes time for talls to develop and all of our impending exits are talls, such that most of our existing depth simply has to become best 22 soon, that says to me that we have a problem coming up, where some weighting should be applied to that.

I don't think mids are a problem, at least not nearly as much as other areas. But we always pick a mid or two. I hope I'm surprised but think a mid is most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back