MRP / Trib. 2022 MRO Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Recycling pod content because who will stop me?

So here Channel Nine go, discussing Rory Lobb. Similar setup to Rioli, someone running with the flight and someone running into the ball. Lobb pulls out and doesn’t absolutely shitmix his opponent.

And gets canned for it. Weak effort, not good enough. He jumps and wipes out his opponent? On trial, dangerous, duty of care.

What do these flogs actually want, beyond more content and more comments?

The On The Couch crew had a go at him as well, came to mind last night when the bleating started. Never again will Lyon or Dunstall etc etc be able to call anyone soft because from now on the player dodging the contest is clearly making the safety of his opponent his priority.

Not a good feeling about this one, the Vic media are going hard on the AFL for an appeal (simply to save face because they were so happy to support the original suspension). Wouldn't be completely surprised of the appeal happens and Willie gets a couple.

The thing is, they (majority of the sookie Vic media club) continue to claim he wasn't contesting the mark, that's their major gripe.

List of people who agree he was contesting the mark

The umpire
The commentators on the day
Matt Rowell
All the GC Suns considering not one remonstrated
The tribunal
The tribunal chairman Jeff Gleeson
Willie Rioli
The Afls counsel whose job it was to get him supsended

Just maybe Whately and his mates aren't as smart as they think they are

The thing is, they (majority of the sookie Vic media club) continue to claim he wasn't contesting the mark, that's their major gripe.

List of people who agree he was contesting the mark

The umpire
The commentators on the day
Matt Rowell
All the GC Suns considering not one remonstrated
The tribunal
The tribunal chairman Jeff Gleeson
Willie Rioli
The Afls counsel whose job it was to get him supsended

Just maybe Whately and his mates aren't as smart as they think they are
Exactly! I am baffled by their arguments....he was going for the mark and makes it to the contest in time....he didnt do anything wrong. His timing is fine...its a contact sport ffs.

Exactly! I am baffled by their arguments....he was going for the mark and makes it to the contest in time....he didnt do anything wrong. His timing is fine...its a contact sport ffs.
Not only this, they say he didn't impact the contest... The mark wasn't paid (which it would have been if he didn't impact the contest), the free kick wasn't paid (as it wasn't high, or it was 'missed' according to the media despite the umpire being in the perfect location), play continued as a result of Rioli's impact on the contest and the Eagles kicked a goal...

This is biazzare how hard they've gone at him. Seems like they were so smug that he'd get off and are now doubling down to try not to look stupid. Merrett and Reiwoldt are the worst, they are absolute dogs going after a fellow player.

The best case is for the AFL to appeal and Rioli wins again. Heads will explode.

The above sums up my thoughts perfectly about the below

From the article (comments by Tim Watson) :

“What the AFL is saying now is no you don’t win the ball at any cost. You’ve got to take into consideration the damage you might cause in winning the ball.”

If this is the standard he wants players held to then David Grace’s assertion that the speccy is on trial is correct. If players have to consider the damage they might cause then they absolutely shouldn’t be flying for a mark because it’s inherently too dangerous

The bleating from fox footy in particular is unbelievable, it’s like they’ve been personally offended by the decision

Exactly, and all white; I think there is a racial element in this outrage - can't have a black kid slamming into a golden boy of the VAFL.
I’ve seen Facebook comments (I know) saying he’s only getting off because he’s indigenous, which is obvious bullshit.

Put simply, I don’t think it will add to the conversation to bring a racial element into this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the product of the Melbourne football bubble.

From their entitled perspective the rest of the league are essentially NPC's. A necessary evil to help flesh out "their football game" but we don't really exist in terms of being an active, intelligent, autonomous participant in what is going on.

The lack of perspective and double standards that are obvious to us are invisible to those inside the bubble.

Here we go gents.... enjoy

Not gonna lie, knowing this self-important weiner was up all night crying in the foetal position makes my pants tight.

This has now gone beyond Rioli's bump and is about how much influence the Victorian media has on pushing their agenda on the AFL and when they'll crack. I guarantee they will - Whately has been leaving voice mails on Gil's mobile all night like a drunk dialling spurned lover.

The sand is flowing

Like....FMD

"When Rioli realised he wasn’t going to get to the ball, he jumped with his contact leaving Rowell on the turf after a heavy impact took his feet out from under him."
They are the type of dickheads who are hell bent on changing all the best things about AFL.

I also couldn't believe the AFL lawyer arguing that basically Rioli shouldn't have been contesting the footy because, duty of care. "We need to change the way players think going into such situations" says old mate. You are talking about a footy dropping almost exactly halfway between two players where one player got hands on footy 18/100ths of second earlier than the other.

From the article (comments by Tim Watson) :

“What the AFL is saying now is no you don’t win the ball at any cost. You’ve got to take into consideration the damage you might cause in winning the ball.”

If this is the standard he wants players held to then David Grace’s assertion that the speccy is on trial is correct. If players have to consider the damage they might cause then they absolutely shouldn’t be flying for a mark because it’s inherently too dangerous

The bleating from fox footy in particular is unbelievable, it’s like they’ve been personally offended by the decision
I listened to wife stealer and watson.

I dont think watson was arguing that rioli should have been suspended. Hes saying if this now is a suspendable offence, then basically the speccie is dead.

What happened to the number one duty of care is your own protection.

Im not talking about rowell, more players like duursma who went in head first for the ball rather than turning his body to the side to protect himself...you know....like we were ******* taught back in junior footy?

To be honest Im slowly starting to loose interest in this once great game.

As much as people are potting the AFL 360 lynch mob, at least Reiwoldt did pose whether we should be questioning Rowell going back with the flight - is that the dangerous act that needs to be stamped out?

There's merit to it. Certainly the kick was intended for Rowell but that doesn't mean he can claim dibs. One of the most frustrating parts about the rolling commentary of this collision is the inference that only one player ever goes for the ball at once.

That's simply not true. The ball is often in dispute and multiple players often arrive at the ball around the same time. That's when these incidents occur. To encourage players to give up competing for the ball if they think they're not going to arrive first is shocking. Almost as shocking as the lynch mob leading a trial by media.

How soft are the Suns where someone illegally and with malice lined up one of their own, wiped him out, ran off to benefit from it and get involved in a goal, and not one of them thought to remonstrate. At no stage did anybody even give Willie a bump, or let him know he shouldn’t do it again. Weak team tbh, bad vibes.

As much as people are potting the AFL 360 lynch mob, at least Reiwoldt did pose whether we should be questioning Rowell going back with the flight - is that the dangerous act that needs to be stamped out?

There's merit to it. Certainly the kick was intended for Rowell but that doesn't mean he can claim dibs. One of the most frustrating parts about the rolling commentary of this collision is the inference that only one player ever goes for the ball at once.

That's simply not true. The ball is often in dispute and multiple players often arrive at the ball around the same time. That's when these incidents occur. To encourage players to give up competing for the ball if they think they're not going to arrive first is shocking. Almost as shocking as the lynch mob leading a trial by media.

Yeah I actually think Reiwoldt was pretty reasonable tbh. At least he considered another POV. And it's very valid and worthy of discussion.

But not that it got any. ..you could see Whatelys little head almost explode when Riewoldt raised that point

Sorry for the intrusion
I was so glad your club decided to appeal the decision
The AFL should instead discourage players going back with the flight of the ball. This practice puts players and team mates both in danger
Since the incident happened the media has been all a won way street
It has been sort of an indoctrination. Keep showing the same image and video clip over and over. Show it to others and ask them a leading question
What your club should do is get the friendly media to show different footage. Show this over and over
I am sure your club can get better footage than what i can show you
Below my long post on Lions board

Well nobody on this forum is not going to like this comment
I also totally agree with Rioli getting off
Every where you look you only see one version of what happened
Then you have media people like David King etc showing the same vision over and over and everyone else joining in
If i was presented with that vision only and was on the tribunal i also would have given Rioli 2/3 weeks

But that vision does not show how the incident unfolded. And which direction the ball was travelling
What actually happened is:-
Chip kick out of defense by Suns player towards the middle of the ground (but inside 50) going in the Rioli direction and another Suns player. With another Eagles player just behind the Suns guy
Rioli comes in to take what would have been an intercept chest mark. Having to leap off the ground to do so
If Rioli continued on this path and say bought up both knees to take the normal classics chest mark things would have been much worse injury wise for Rowell

Then we have Rowell running back with the flight of the ball. I hate players doing this. A danger to themselves and others.
Rowell is looking directly up to the sky and almost looking back over his head
Reason he is doing this is the ball is coming from behind him and over his head
So Rowell only has eyes for the ball but running (back with the flight) into the unknow. Just asking to be cleaned up or hurt someone else
Rioli at this stage most likely doing the same, eyes on the ball but for a chest mark. Except Rioli is coming in to meet the ball
Rioli then likely senses something, changes slightly to avoid doing serious injury to Rowell and collects him high with his shoulder
Gets 1 week for looking after Rowell safety

Below video link. You have to watch the very first 5 seconds of this AFL video. Over and over as it is hard to get a feel of the play if you don't
This is how the play actually unfolded. Not the rest of the video that the media shows over and over. Which likely most on this forum have only seen

I do not have the expertise to extract a few single images from the first 5 seconds of this video. Maybe someone else has.

www.afl.com.au

Free Willie: Rioli clear to play R2 after successful challenge

Willie Rioli and Rory Sloane to join Brisbane's Mitch Robinson at the Tribunal
www.afl.com.au

Good news everyone. The person who makes a decision on whether the AFL appeal is Brad Scott 😍
This board focusing on Brad Scott in the lead up to a Norf game? I can get behind that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back