Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

if people are interested in my early reads for the 2023 draft or even the 2024 and a couple for 2025 then i have some names and general information in my thread in the draft section of bigfooty, i have a top 50 plus 34 others to keep an eye out for next year(also heights and weights, clubs and a little blurb of thoughts for each player), i have a top 25 or so for 2024 draft ect as well.

I saw Harley Reid play a few months ago and he genuinely looked like he could have been the number 1 draft pick this year. Is he just that far ahead of everyone his age or is the top end of next years draft really strong in general?

I saw Harley Reid play a few months ago and he genuinely looked like he could have been the number 1 draft pick this year. Is he just that far ahead of everyone his age or is the top end of next years draft really strong in general?
I think at this stage he is the clear number 1 pick, but like we saw with George Wardlaw and his injuries, anything can happen.

Same rule applies to this thread as other years.

Talk about the players and their draft year, not where you think we will finish or how many draft picks you want us to have.
*, it's tiresome...

Teams don’t ‘plan’ to win the wooden spoon.

We are developing a young list which will have their ups & downs.
If we happen to come last and get Pick 1, so be it.
Theres no guarantee we even select Harley Reid.
I agreed with everything until the last point the only possible ways Reid does not go pick 1 are:
1. Aliens abduct him
2. He decides to pursue a modelling career
3. Norf
#oldmanmancrush

Last edited:
Archer Reid and Nick Watson showing some special traits at Hawks training this week.

Archer Reid kicking a great goal from 50m post high, Nick Watson out bodying a Box Hill player marking then setting up a goal for his side in a match sim.
Ah…
Compromise Shrug GIF

Have we been able to resolve which draft picks we have this year?
Is our 2nd round pick tied to us or the Bulldogs?
Is our 3rd round pick tied to us or the Bulldogs?
Does anyone on here know for sure?

If we finish bottom 5 Watson is a big chance to be picked by us at our first pick we really rate him
We've got Archer Reid training with us at the moment and he's talked about in the top ten at this (very) early stage. I like the idea of a 201cm key forward but drafting him may all depend on how Ramsden is going I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone official called 2023 a "SUPER DRAFT" yet?

Davo-27 is it as deep as it is top end loaded?

I think it's a strong draft, not sure yet if it's a super draft, some people on bigfooty and the media are hyping it up, so we'll see.

We've got Archer Reid training with us at the moment and he's talked about in the top ten at this (very) early stage. I like the idea of a 201cm key forward but drafting him may all depend on how Ramsden is going I guess.

Archer Reid, Nick Watson and Zane Duursma are all in that top 10 conversation at this point imo, things may change, but atm they are all 3 very highly touted players, I saw Archer Reid and Nick Watson at Hawks training and they look at ease at the next level, which are good signs for them, but not sure on Duursma as we had a few Hawk NGA guys who I might have mistook for Duursma at training, not sure?

We traded our picks - we retained the Bulldogs'.

While Reid's and Watson look great let's not discount two of my favourites at the top end this draft, Curtin and Caddy. Both are athletic talls with brilliant hands in the contest and on the deck.

Curtin is more of a CHB right now, but posseses all the tools of a great CHF. His hands in the air are outstanding, and his decision making in contests is superb. He has that Pendlebury-esque traffic step to open up angles for short and sharp kicks or to unleash his own run and go down the line. As a half forward flank you need to work well in tight spaces and not just bomb it long, and as a CHF you need to take the big grabs and kick long goals. Curtin is unique in that he does both very well, and could easily line up as a Roughy type player who can go anywhere but excels in front of goal.

Caddy is an aerial beast and power runner in the vein of Nick Reiwoldt, a strong mark and good runner who involves himself around the ground and kicks goals. He's smart with his bodywork in the forward line, approaching marking contest like Gunston where he wins with positioning more than raw height or athletic ability. But when the call comes for a massive leap, he sure can get up.

When we think about where we are finishing next season, we have three or so tiers of draft picks that we might get.

Tier 1: Harley Reid

Not much else to be said. If we have 1 we are taking him right now.

Tier 2: Daniel Curtin, Archer Reid, Nate Caddy

My favourite picks if we get a runners up prize, Picks 2-4. Quality players in a position of need

Tier 3: Zane Duursma, Ashton Moir, Koltyn Tholstrup, Nick Watson

The next step back for one reason, they aren't really players we need. At the moment I'd say Caddy and Curtin are better or as good as this next step back, but a small/medium forward that might run through the midfield isn't as impactful as a quality key forward. This might seem reactionary or strange, Caddy is listed at only 2cm taller than Duursma and Tholstrup, but if we are playing two rucks and Mitch Lewis (and Ramsden if he makes it) a mobile CHF who can involve themselves up the ground, be a goal threat and play smart below the knees while presenting as a leading option is what we need. If by the end of the season you're throwing a blanket over pick 3-10 (which won't be the case but this far out it's very even in my eye) then I'd hope we target Curtin, Caddy, and Reid above others.

Yes, it was resolved a while ago. We gave up our picks in trades and retained those tied to the Bulldogs.

Won't happen, but imagine if we ended up finishing higher than the doggies... there's probably a long German word for it.

While Reid's and Watson look great let's not discount two of my favourites at the top end this draft, Curtin and Caddy. Both are athletic talls with brilliant hands in the contest and on the deck.

Curtin is more of a CHB right now, but posseses all the tools of a great CHF. His hands in the air are outstanding, and his decision making in contests is superb. He has that Pendlebury-esque traffic step to open up angles for short and sharp kicks or to unleash his own run and go down the line. As a half forward flank you need to work well in tight spaces and not just bomb it long, and as a CHF you need to take the big grabs and kick long goals. Curtin is unique in that he does both very well, and could easily line up as a Roughy type player who can go anywhere but excels in front of goal.

Caddy is an aerial beast and power runner in the vein of Nick Reiwoldt, a strong mark and good runner who involves himself around the ground and kicks goals. He's smart with his bodywork in the forward line, approaching marking contest like Gunston where he wins with positioning more than raw height or athletic ability. But when the call comes for a massive leap, he sure can get up.

When we think about where we are finishing next season, we have three or so tiers of draft picks that we might get.

My favourite picks if we get a runners up prize, Picks 2-4. Quality players in a position of need

The next step back for one reason, they aren't really players we need. At the moment I'd say Caddy and Curtin are better or as good as this next step back, but a small/medium forward that might run through the midfield isn't as impactful as a quality key forward. This might seem reactionary or strange, Caddy is listed at only 2cm taller than Duursma and Tholstrup, but if we are playing two rucks and Mitch Lewis (and Ramsden if he makes it) a mobile CHF who can involve themselves up the ground, be a goal threat and play smart below the knees while presenting as a leading option is what we need. If by the end of the season you're throwing a blanket over pick 3-10 (which won't be the case but this far out it's very even in my eye) then I'd hope we target Curtin, Caddy, and Reid above others.
What about Graham Arthur's grandson?

What about Graham Arthur's grandson?
I've only seen him play as a midfielder, but he seems good without being a standout performer. He's very smooth through contests but not a blazing runner or powerful ball winner, he's pretty similar to Mackenzie but a touch less speed and class off the boot. I've heard he's a good forward though, so he might push up next year.

Obviously these are opinions, early ones and as I’m in the UK and not a recruiter maybe I’m not qualified to judge but from what I’ve seen this largely looks right. Think Moir makes a case to be in tier II given his kicking on both feet and skill. Watson if he was taller would be right at the pointy end. With such a strong top 10 desperate to be all over the suns first pick and have 2 bites at it. If we don’t get pick 1 then I think Archer Reid has to be in our sights and almost any of the rest named. Although like TylerDurden i have the largest man crush on the littlest man!

Back