Autopsy 2023 Rd 1 - GWS Giants v Adelaide Crows, 1.10 pm Sunday 19 March @ Giants Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be interesting to see what our crowds at our next home game (against Carlton) will be. The 7012 who attended today was our 2nd lowest home crowd against Adelaide, and it was our 10th lowest crowd in history (excluding 2020 and 2021) at Giants Stadium. The weather certainly didn’t help, but our club did all it could to increase attendance by making it a Recruit game and by giving free tickets to adults. I had thought we would have got 10,000 with these giveaways, but hopefully this great win and the exciting game, will lead to repeat viewers for the Saturday afternoon Carlton game.

It will be interesting to see what our crowds at our next home game (against Carlton) will be. The 7012 who attended today was our 2nd lowest home crowd against Adelaide, and it was our 10th lowest crowd in history (excluding 2020 and 2021) at Giants Stadium. The weather certainly didn’t help, but our club did all it could to increase attendance by making it a Recruit game and by giving free tickets to adults. I had thought we would have got 10,000 with these giveaways, but hopefully this great win and the exciting game, will lead to repeat viewers for the Saturday afternoon Carlton game.
The problem with freebies/cheapies is that with the extreme heat, it's an easy decision to just not go. I just feel the last few years of COVID, smoke, floods, extreme wet, now high heat it's been really hard trying to attract supporters to the game.

Great atmosphere at the ground yesterday and well done to the brave souls who turned up in oppressive conditions. Definitely felt like a bigger crowd given most were sitting on the shaded side. Hope 12K+ turn up for the next game. Observations:
  • HH very quiet despite that great early mark. Is he better utilised playing back where he gets 20 odd touches and uses the ball so well as a distributor?
  • Riccardi almost invisible out there. Been a fan but patience wearing thin with a young gun like Cadman waiting in the wings.
  • Buckley a top 22 player for sure, but feel Aleer is worth persisting with based on 2022 form as well. Is Haynes the one at risk? Played okay yesterday but still looked shaky at times.
  • Awesome seeing Daniels back. So quick and skillful, adds a different dimension to the team.
  • Callaghan such a smooth mover with terrific vision - so impressive.

Coaches' votes for the game:

Greater Western Sydney v Adelaide​

9 Toby Greene (GWS)
8 Stephen Coniglio (GWS)
6 Tom Green (GWS)
3 Izak Rankine (ADEL)
2 Joshua Rachele (ADEL)
1 Josh Kelly (GWS)
1 Callan Ward (GWS)

Coaches' votes for the game:

Greater Western Sydney v Adelaide​

9 Toby Greene (GWS)
8 Stephen Coniglio (GWS)
6 Tom Green (GWS)
3 Izak Rankine (ADEL)
2 Joshua Rachele (ADEL)
1 Josh Kelly (GWS)
1 Callan Ward (GWS)
Surprised COgs didnt get 10

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McAdam sent straight to the tribunal. Careless conduct, severe impact and high contact. That points to at least 3 weeks. Hope the dirty grub gets 4.
Honestly surprised by this - thought the Picket one was worse and he only got 2 - maybe the outcry over the leniency on that one forced Christianson’s hand.

also - lol at everyone saying that he only hit him in the chest - it wasn’t high, never made contact with the head. When I posted a photo showing he did hit him in the head, one muppet said he had a loose jumper and it was the floppy jumper that made contact with the head, not the shoulder.🤣🤣🤣 desperate.

Honestly surprised by this - thought the Picket one was worse and he only got 2 - maybe the outcry over the leniency on that one forced Christianson’s hand.

also - lol at everyone saying that he only hit him in the chest - it wasn’t high, never made contact with the head. When I posted a photo showing he did hit him in the head, one muppet said he had a loose jumper and it was the floppy jumper that made contact with the head, not the shoulder.🤣🤣🤣 desperate.
Pickett definitely should have got more (and Buddy as well for that matter), but I have no sympathy for McAdam after he walked off the ground laughing and sticking his finger up at the members stand on the way out. No remorse and just a grub.

I do agree that Pickett's bump looked far worse - absolutely horrendous, IMHO. But he's a VFL star, so gets a discount. Buddy, he's a star of the establishment, so gets a discount too.

weirdly enough, I might reassess my position on that one. Just looking at the side by side comparison on VFL360 - picket‘s looks way worse in slow-mo because he’s mid air, than it did in real time : McAdam’s looks bad both ways and was certainly a much harder impact. I think Smith, having just kicked the ball was leaning back so was moving in the same direction as the hit. Wehr was coming the other way, or at the very least, stationary.

Weatley explained that because Smith didn‘t need any medical attention at all, just bounced straight up and played on, the grading started with low impact, where as Wehr had to be helped from the field and had to undergo a HIA, so it started as a higher grading, regardless of the fact Wehr returned and finished the game.

Picket was flying, but McAdam hit with way more force.

Picket should have got more than two though (imo) and both thought at least 3 for McAdam on 360.

*******s.

NRL game wasn’t at the exact same time it was later in the arvo, and I note they say sellouts but it was only, what?, 6k more.
I misread that as their crowd being 6k initially and it didn't seem out of place

A fair summation

The Key Takeaway: Kingsley’s tough Giants

Adam Kingsley has established a tougher mentality within the playing group since arriving at the Giants. They were at times criticised for being flaky in the past but the way they beat the Crows suggests all that is about to change.

The Giants had no right to get up after they trailed by 28 points at half-time in hot conditions and after losing Lachie Whitfield and Josh Kelly (both concussion) and Harry Perryman (hamstring).

It was a courageous and gritty victory to kick off the Kingsley era.

The Positive: The Green(e) show

Toby Greene
’s first game as standalone captain was superb.

He helped carry the Giants over the line with 4.4 to go along with 10 score involvements and five inside 50s. He could have easily kicked 6 or 7.

Namesake Tom Green has been going about his business and is on his way to becoming one of the premier midfielders in the competition.

37 touches, 12 score involvements and eight clearances, including six centre clearances, will do those aspirations no harm at all.

The Negative: Trip to Perth not great timing

The Giants now have to travel to Perth after a tough game in trying conditions. They’ll also have to do it without Perryman, Whitfield and Kelly.

The Eagles present as a potential banana skin.

What no one is talking about: Daniels and Buckley returns

It might not have created any headlines, but the return of Brent Daniels was a major highlight for the Giants.

He didn’t play at all last year due to ongoing hamstring issues, however, he was back on Sunday. He had just nine touches but kicked two goals, could have kicked more and will be better for the run.

Similarly, defender Jack Buckley was also back after missing last year with an ACL injury.

He last played at AFL level in Round 16 of the 2021 season but slotted in nicely down back.

Good to know that we are not the only ones going overboard with our performance on Sunday. A+ rating!

GWS GIANTS

It was a culture-building win for the Giants in their first match under Adam Kingsley. This was a win full of grit given how comprehensively outplayed they were in the opening quarter-and-a-half. There’s definitely room for improvement given how bad they were early, but to run over the top of the Crows given the injuries they had for much of the final quarter is incredibly impressive. Hopefully it was a tone-setter for the Kingsley era.

In the votes

Tom Green was brilliant, finishing with a goal from 37 disposals, 15 contested possessions, 12 score involvements, eight clearances and six marks. Along with Green, Toby Greene, Stephen Coniglio and Callan Ward shone. Coniglio and Ward collected 32 and 31 possessions respectively and delivered when their midfield partners went down injured. In addition to Jesse Hogan’s three majors, Greene kicked four goals in a typically virtuoso performance in what was his first game as sole captain of the club.

Room for improvement

It was regarded as one of the best wins in the Giants’ history. But it had to come after trailing by 31 points in the second quarter and 28 points at half-time. The Crows dominated territory early, so the Giants were a touch lucky Adelaide didn’t fully capitalise on their opportunities.
Grade

A+

Remove this Banner Ad

Back