AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

I respect that people have some kind of weird obsessive compulsive sacred bond with a number on a jumper. I don't understand why certain level of player has to represent a number... Why don't we spread the talent around so soon we'll have 40 numbers that are sacred?

I respect that people have some kind of weird obsessive compulsive sacred bond with a number on a jumper. I don't understand why certain level of player has to represent a number... Why don't we spread the talent around so soon we'll have 40 numbers that are sacred?

I can respect their right to their opinions, but I absolutely disagree with them.

It's interesting enough though, I guess; I liked when Hurley was handed the #18.

I just think it's a point of small interest, rather than a massively important thing that results in morons at the footy (and I should clarify I'm not talking about Lance here :p) screaming out "You're a disgrace to the number 5, Stanton". That shits me no end, and is probably why I spoke up.

I can't stand that either, mate. No matter what I think about certain players I would never abuse or disrespect them at games. In 2008, before I upgraded to high mark, we spent most of the season getting stuck into the members that sat around us. It seemed that all of them just went to the football with the sole purpose of slagging of our players.

I'm with Whomb.

Why can't Heppell make 21 great, or at least wait till he's done something at senior level, just more pressure for the kid who's played 2 NAB Cup games.

People forget Hirdy wanted someone in the jumper, and he chose Stanton, thought we'd have all moved on by now.

Can't recall anyone saying Heppell would get the jumper after a couple of NAB games.

The last part is BS. What do you think Hird was going to say when the club went to him and asked him if he wanted his jumper retired. He isn't Nathan Buckley.

The club should have automatically retired the jumper as a mark of respect for the great man.

Can't recall anyone saying Heppell would get the jumper after a couple of NAB games.

The last part is BS. What do you think Hird was going to say when the club went to him and asked him if he wanted his jumper retired. He isn't Nathan Buckley.

The club should have automatically retired the jumper as a mark of respect for the great man.

Why retire it? Before Terry Daniher it was just another number for 90 odd years.

He's a legend, hall of famer, probably get a bronze statue at some stage.

Hirdy's legacy is going to last forever, regardless of who wears his number, none of us are ever going to forget him any time soon.

Bit harsh if someone was to say Stanton was disrespecting the number 5 because he's not good enough.

For me it was more of a sign of disrespect to Hird not to retire his number immediately as opposed to Stanton disrespecting the jumper. STanton has obviosly given his all.

Why retire it? Before Terry Daniher it was just another number for 90 odd years.

He's a legend, hall of famer, probably get a bronze statue at some stage.

Hirdy's legacy is going to last forever, regardless of who wears his number, none of us are ever going to forget him any time soon.

But after Hird retired it wasn't just another number, imo. Daniher was a gun, a lot like Hird in many ways, but not the same calibre as Hird.

I agree with your last post but I still think it would have been a nice gesture to Hird.

Anyway, best not derail this thread too much. There is no right or wrong, just differenct perspectives.

I think we all agree Heppell looks like having a good future so lets talk about that. :thumbsu:

Ummm yeah ok, mate. :rolleyes:

Some people see it is a sign of respect for past champions of our football club.

How is it a sign of respect to dirty the player Hird choose; because he isn't living up to the ridiculous high standards expected. Stanton is in the top 20% of players in the competition, yet because he isn't the best Essendon player of all time, he is a disgrace to a ****ing number :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is it a sign of respect to dirty the player Hird choose; because he isn't living up to the ridiculous high standards expected. Stanton is in the top 20% of players in the competition, yet because he isn't the best Essendon player of all time, he is a disgrace to a ****ing number :rolleyes:

Wow do you actually read posts or just totally clueless?

Wow do you actually read posts or just totally clueless?

I wasn't referring to you, just the "some people" who care. I'm just stirring though. :D

BTW you do know it was Hird's choice not to retire the number, and he said Stanton should have it. I like it that great player/leader passed his number on to someone, its a nice sign of encouragement.

I wasn't referring to you, just the "some people" who care. I'm just stirring though. :D

BTW you do know it was Hird's choice not to retire the number, and he said Stanton should have it. I like it that great player/leader passed his number on to someone, its a nice sign of encouragement.

If you read the posts you wouldn't be asking this.

I'm done on this subject.

I dont think he will be that physical, yeah he kicks with the left and can kick goals but i think goddard/hird comparison is pretty much on the mark. When goddard was drafted they said the next hird. either way he will make his own mark and will be a good player.

Have to disagree after watching Goddard tonight.

Goddard is a very powerful player - And i dont see Heppell as this kind of player.

The similarities with Hodge are the street smarts, organising ability, reading of the play.

Fair enough, I agree with that but see a lot more similarities with Goddard than hodge. Hodge as a midfielder is very bash and crash relying mostly on his aggression and strength, whereas Goddard is smarter, more evasive, keeps his feet. More Helpell like traits IMO. More Hodge like as a forward though; rather opportunistic than a hit up player like Goddard. Although nothing wrong with him being a healthy mix of both.

Goddard is powerful.

- Big physique
- Strong core
- Powerful leap

Cant see any similarities with heppell.

Your do Realise Goddard has had about 9 (approximate) pre seasons to get to those lofty standards.

And you wouldnt call Hodge powerful with a big physique? Hodge will bust open packs, will intimidate opponents, I can't see heppell being that player. The only similiarities I can see are;

He could play a quarterback like role.
He can go forward and kick goals.

But I hope he forges his own reputation, it's just great to have smone of his calibre playing for us. I haven't been this excited since I saw a kid named Lloyd take a specky in a practice game against carlton at waverley park back in 95 I think.

I think after watching Heppell this year, and a bit of him last year, he's very much his own player. Seems to be a bit of a mix between a few styles.

To me, he's a bit of a floater, of the James Hird variety except more defensively-minded and, certainly, no where near the same level as Hird. The kid is rangy, intelligent, and has a running style that is rather fluid, a bit like Stephen Hill though lacking in that extreme acceleration.

His trademark is that Pendlebury-like sidestep and weave which negates his inability to break out of tackles like an Atley will be able to do.

Still early days yet. But boy do I like the look of Alex Browne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back