AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

167417-dyson-heppell.jpg

His face kinda reminds me of Russell Coight in this pic. Silly sausage aren't I.

Your do Realise Goddard has had about 9 (approximate) pre seasons to get to those lofty standards.

And you wouldnt call Hodge powerful with a big physique? Hodge will bust open packs, will intimidate opponents, I can't see heppell being that player. The only similiarities I can see are;

He could play a quarterback like role.
He can go forward and kick goals.

But I hope he forges his own reputation, it's just great to have smone of his calibre playing for us. I haven't been this excited since I saw a kid named Lloyd take a specky in a practice game against carlton at waverley park back in 95 I think.

Agree with your post.

My post was more a case of not seeing similarities between Heppell and Goddard.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goddard is powerful.

- Big physique
- Strong core
- Powerful leap

Cant see any similarities with heppell.

Took Goddard a good 5 seasons to develop into the player he is now.
There are plenty of similar things i can see with Heppel when compared with Goddard as a junior and his early AFL days.

I think Goddard is in the top 5 players in the game currently and chances are Heppel may not reach that level but he does play a similar game to what Goddard used to.

Talking about Goddard, I reckon in physical stature a young player from Melbourne called Rohan (not sure of spelling) is very similar!! Runs the same and has the same physical actions. Looks a player!!

Finally got round to reading through this thread. From what I saw of Heppell, he has a tendency to hesitate defensively, as in, whether or not to commit to the player with the ball. This can be poor in a zone defence, as a backlog is expected to be maintained to ensure constant pressure on the ball. Hoping one of our coaching staff picks up on it.

Took Goddard a good 5 seasons to develop into the player he is now.
There are plenty of similar things i can see with Heppel when compared with Goddard as a junior and his early AFL days.

I think Goddard is in the top 5 players in the game currently and chances are Heppel may not reach that level but he does play a similar game to what Goddard used to.

You may be be right !

Will be interesting to see what physique Heppell ends up with in 5 years.

Finally got round to reading through this thread. From what I saw of Heppell, he has a tendency to hesitate defensively, as in, whether or not to commit to the player with the ball. This can be poor in a zone defence, as a backlog is expected to be maintained to ensure constant pressure on the ball. Hoping one of our coaching staff picks up on it.

yeah but once again he is a kid playing against men and he has only played 2 games, when he puts on a few kilos then he might have more confidence to do the things you ask of him.

Im a big fan, but i dont wanna go over the top with expectations on the lad!

Expectations only lead to dissapointment 99% of the time!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back