AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Dyson Heppell

I hope his performances on ANZAC Day and vs GCS has dispelled your theory that Heppell is soft.

I'm not theorizing that he is soft. I'm saying that, at times, he has appeared soft, which is true. At the same time, I can't stress enough as to how impressed I've been over his willingness to run back with the flight of the ball and meet oncoming traffic, as seen on Anzac day with Brown approaching and the Gold Coast again on the weekend.

Again, at times his attack on the ball and body hasn't been up to AFL standard. It's something to work on and something that I'm sure he's been made aware of, and will improve in the future.

His outside work, however, has been outstanding.

I'm not theorizing that he is soft. I'm saying that, at times, he has appeared soft, which is true. At the same time, I can't stress enough as to how impressed I've been over his willingness to run back with the flight of the ball and meet oncoming traffic, as seen on Anzac day with Brown approaching and the Gold Coast again on the weekend.

Again, at times his attack on the ball and body hasn't been up to AFL standard. It's something to work on and something that I'm sure he's been made aware of, and will improve in the future.

His outside work, however, has been outstanding.

I understand where you're coming from but...

I think "soft" is the incorrect word to use what you're describing, it has a negative connotation which does not associate itself with Heppell as evidenced through his continued willingness to put his body on the line.

How do you quantify attack on the footy? It's totally subjective, I mean can you attack the footy hard but still easily get brushed aside (appear to look "soft" as you say)...Personally, I think its more this than anything.

I understand where you're coming from but...

I think "soft" is the incorrect word to use what you're describing, it has a negative connotation which does not associate itself with Heppell as evidenced through his continued willingness to put his body on the line.

How do you quantify attack on the footy? It's totally subjective, I mean can you attack the footy hard but still easily get brushed aside (appear to look "soft" as you say)...Personally, I think its more this than anything.

By seeing an individual sacrifice his attempt on the ball to avoid or lessen physical contact, or not engage as tenaciously as he should in a contest. I am not intimating any strength or size based connotations, but purely mental aggression and application.

It's difficult to define and in that way it may be somewhat subjective, but at times his efforts in tackling and pursuing the hard ball have been less than what's required at AFL standard and, for a reasonable observer, noticeably so.

I don't want to harp on this, as it was initially intended as a constructive yet minor criticism that is quickly turning into an insult.

The issue is there is nothing minor about criticising somebody about being soft. I tend to agree with Smyth

Well what I've seen, on very, very few occasions but seen nevertheless, is just that. Not a lack of strength or size, but some tentative signs.

That's all I'm saying on the topic.

Well what I've seen, on very, very few occasions but seen nevertheless, is just that. Not a lack of strength or size, but some tentative signs.

Well in my opinion, if you think Heppell is at all soft... He has already shown plenty of courage..

By your definition of soft, almost every player when they start their carrer is soft? Physically Under developed (compared to senior players) does not mean soft.

I see your point but I would think that it is very rare for any players to not have that. Being a bit lighter, I don't mind if he has moments where he considers 'self preservation'.

Well in my opinion, if you think Heppell is at all soft... He has already shown plenty of courage..

By your definition of soft, almost every player when they start their carrer is soft? Physically Under developed (compared to senior players) does not mean soft.

Go back, read what I said. As Ant has said, making a criticism of a player doesn't always have to result in a chain reaction and descend into a s**t fight- I'm aware he has shown courage, I've duly noted that.

Spare me your ****ing blind ignorance.

Maybe take a leaf out of Knight Ryders book and recognise that I am not taking a pot shot at Heppel.

Man he is teaming well with big Fletch back there. Must be learning a stack from him. Would love it if he becomes a gun mid one day, but if not, not overly worried. This guy could be just as influental from half back.

Does anyone else love the way he reads it well enough to know whn to zone off as the 3rd man up and effect the spoil etc..

This kid is going to be seriously good...

Does anyone else love the way he reads it well enough to know whn to zone off as the 3rd man up and effect the spoil etc..

This kid is going to be seriously good...

Incidentally, has now outscored Goddard in Supercoach this year. Incredible Stuff. I agree with the comment regarding Fletch and Heppell, the two combine so well back there. An absolutely invaluable apprenticeship, let's hope Fletch has a year or two left in him to keep things rolling :thumbsu:

Wow what a player!! A moral for rising star and been nursed brilliantly running around in the backline. Could he develop into a midfielder? Would make a great wingman, does he remind anyone else of one G. Anderson??

Loose comparison to Hodge in that he can play both half back and midfield well and goes hard all the time. Not as good on both sides as Hodge is and is yet to prove as tough as Hodge.

Despite starting out mainly as a half back and playing 70% of his TAC Cup footy there he can certainly play midfield. You do not rack up the clearance numbers he did playing midfield in the last 7 or 8 games if you are not up to it. He is a genuine two spot player rather than a flanker who may make a midfielder.

Found it. Wanting confirmation that Dyson is seen a midfielder as much as he is a half back.

Was reading though this thread to see whether Heppell is a midfielder (thought that the Dodoro and club hyperbole was not that helpful).

Guy has been a star.

Its been a very long time since we drafted a kid who has made an impact this quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He went into the midfield for Gippsland last year about halfway through, Gippsland improved from being pretty poor (only had 2 or 3 guys drafted) to playing in a grannie.

Nuff said. Gem.

Yeah, it was good reading through this thread because it helps to better understand what we've got. With the emergence of Hardingham, Hibberd and, to a lesser extent, Myers the spot at half back may not be that important in the future (especially with the returns of Pears and Dempsey).

It is nice to hear about his work at clearances because his outside game is already excellent.

We need more class in the midfield to make more of the clearances we are winning and it seems like a lot of it rests on the shoulders of Heppell, Melksham and Zaharakis...it is really exciting because all three have shown excellent signs.

Found it. Wanting confirmation that Dyson is seen a midfielder as much as he is a half back.

Was reading though this thread to see whether Heppell is a midfielder (thought that the Dodoro and club hyperbole was not that helpful).

Guy has been a star.

Its been a very long time since we drafted a kid who has made an impact this quickly.

He started in quite a few centre bounces against Freo.

Get ready, I think he will have a BIG game very soon, by that I mean 30+ poss, 10 marks and a goal or something along these lines.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=838572&page=3

We should be pretty dissapointed. Apparently Atley is the superior player and we made a blunder by taking Heppell instead, lol. Guess we will have to cope as best we can. :rolleyes:

It's like the pre-season all over again, apparently every single young player on North's list is potential superstar and every other side has sh*t young players :rolleyes:

Atley will be a gun, but I've seen nothing that suggests he'll be better than Heppell, clearly was the pick of last year's draft.

heppell did s**t all yesterday and was nowhere to be seen when the game was on the line.
atley was great all day, steal of the draft

Lol, must have missed a couple of small games earlier on this year against Collingwood and Carlton.

They're ****ing kidding themselves really. Were we considering Atley, more than likely but that went out the window when Heppell was still alive at pick 8.

It's like the pre-season all over again, apparently every single young player on North's list is potential superstar and every other side has sh*t young players :rolleyes:

Atley will be a gun, but I've seen nothing that suggests he'll be better than Heppell, clearly was the pick of last year's draft.

He might be at this stage, but i'm prepared to suggest right now that David Swallow will be the best when their careers are over.

Unfortunately for North fans they seem to have embraced a mediocre existence. The excitement the got from beating us in the circumstances (injuries, goal kicking and dare I say it umpiring) is disturbing. Talking up Atley like he is the next Judd on the back of his ability to use his (admittedly impressive) pace to cut through a midfield down a rotation and out on its feet is a pretty good example.

Good luck to them for getting their man, I don't see how we can possibly regrent anything when we have a 189cm skinny kid being one of our most influential players in his first year. It isn't like Dyson doesn't have an upside, he will add weight, pace and power to his game in the coming years. If he is at anything above 70-75% capacity I'd be amazed.

I'm also not sure where they get the idea that Heppel can't win his own ball or tackle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back