AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

I have given up looking at it too much. We all know the problems. He does some good stuff and he has a few mares a game and he is slow and struggles to defend because of it.

Spot on. He dropped two uncontested marks and had a loose ball go between his legs vs Swans - looked like that old guy that’s played on one too many seasons and he can’t react like he used to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spot on. He dropped two uncontested marks and had a loose ball go between his legs vs Swans - looked like that old guy that’s played on one too many seasons and he can’t react like he used to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Big Dyson lover for the person he is & his earlier on field work but I mentioned to a mate watching the game this week, I can't remember the last time I saw him taking an overhead mark? Always goes the chest mark and looks even stupider when he fluffs those. Probably all the hand/finger injuries over the years but geez it is frustrating to watch.

I see the whipping boy status hasn't changed here.

Was solid last year, which showed in the Creighton medal votes. And he's been solid again in the first 2 games this year.

I see the whipping boy status hasn't changed here.

Was solid last year, which showed in the Creighton medal votes. And he's been solid again in the first 2 games this year.

I don’t really think you can call him a whipping boy - 3 years ago, everyone loved him. He’s just gone on too long - he’s old and slow. Anyone who doesn’t think he’s passed it is just one eyed.

B&F results aren’t a great point of argument - a) you can pretty much sort the list by games played and that’ll be the rough order for the AFL side and b) our top 2 finishers in the VFL B&F were both delisted. So it doesn’t mean that much.

I don’t really think you can call him a whipping boy - 3 years ago, everyone loved him. He’s just gone on too long - he’s old and slow. Anyone who doesn’t think he’s passed it is just one eyed.

B&F results aren’t a great point of argument - a) you can pretty much sort the list by games played and that’ll be the rough order for the AFL side and b) our top 2 finishers in the VFL B&F were both delisted. So it doesn’t mean that much.

Nope he's been the whipping boy for about the last 5 years at least Id say. And with zero evidence to prove the negativety. Except "he's s**t cos I reckon"

His skills by hand and foot have deteriorated to the point where im worried if he and the ball are on the screen at the same time

Rubbish. His disposal efficiency, meters gained, clangers, turnovers, and goal against are nowhere near bad numbers.
In fact the opposite.

Last edited:
it’s a bummer ‘cos he’s obviously a great bloke and i appreciate him doing his best to keep spirits up after the club ****ed him and every other player over (let’s not leave hirdy out of the “what’s with our leaders?” conversation). But at this stage he is absolutely a liability on field and intangibles aren’t enough to make up for it.

Nope he's been the whipping boy for about the last 5 years at least Id say. And with zero evidence to prove the negativety. Except "he's s**t cos I reckon"

Just had a quick look back at mid 2020, so less than 4 years ago, and it’s nearly all positive stuff. He’s just gone on a year too long.

The same thing happened with Myers, Baguley and Zaka - all good players in their primes, but they were passed it by the end.

Just had a quick look back at mid 2020, so less than 4 years ago, and it’s nearly all positive stuff. He’s just gone on a year too long.

The same thing happened with Myers, Baguley and Zaka - all good players in their primes, but they were passed it by the end.

Prove it then! Show me some factual evidence.
Everybody who says he's passed it has absolutely no evidence to support their claims.
He has been very solid and dependable as a taller halfback. And his numbers prove that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prove it then! Show me some factual evidence.
Everybody who says he's passed it has absolutely no evidence to support their claims.
He has been very solid and dependable as a taller halfback. And his numbers prove that.

Watch him this weekend. Watch how many fumbles he has, how his opponents run off him at will - watch how many of his kicks actually hit an Essendon player. His dropped marks. Losing the ball in the air. Not everything shows up on the stat sheet.

There’s nothing shameful about it, he’s just not the player he once was.

Admittedly, if you think he’s been ‘very solid and dependable’, I think you are just going to see what you want to see.

Watch him this weekend. Watch how many fumbles he has, how his opponents run off him at will - watch how many of his kicks actually hit an Essendon player. His dropped marks. Losing the ball in the air. Not everything shows up on the stat sheet.

There’s nothing shameful about it, he’s just not the player he once was.

Admittedly, if you think he’s been ‘very solid and dependable’, I think you are just going to see what you want to see.

His kicking efficiency is 75%.
He had a grand total of 7 goals against last year by turnovers/clangers. Which ranks very good by AFL metrics for defenders.
His meters gained was over 250, which is very good for a taller intercept half back role.

He rarely spills marks or makes the wrong decision. His errors are no more that our best players.
I think you're seeing what you want to see.

His kicking efficiency is 75%.
He had a grand total of 7 goals against last year by turnovers/clangers. Which ranks very good by AFL metrics for defenders.
His meters gained was over 250, which is very good for a taller intercept half back role.

He rarely spills marks or makes the wrong decision. His errors are no more that our best players.
I think you're seeing what you want to see.
Kicking efficiency is a garbage stat that has no place here. It's incredibly easy to have a high kicking efficiency as a defender as quite often they have the easiest kicks in the AFL, plus any kick that goes over 40 metres that isn't a direct turnover (meaning a contested situation that goes over the boundary) is an automatic efficient kick.
There's no way you'd know that unless you were forking out money to CD. So I'm gonna call bullshit on that.
Another stat that is essentially meaningless. If someone runs 10 metres, kicks it 50, but it's a turnover that results in a goal it's still 60 metres gained.

Right now you're this:
1711598823535.png

Kicking efficiency is a garbage stat that has no place here. It's incredibly easy to have a high kicking efficiency as a defender as quite often they have the easiest kicks in the AFL, plus any kick that goes over 40 metres that isn't a direct turnover (meaning a contested situation that goes over the boundary) is an automatic efficient kick.
There's no way you'd know that unless you were forking out money to CD. So I'm gonna call bullshit on that.
Another stat that is essentially meaningless. If someone runs 10 metres, kicks it 50, but it's a turnover that results in a goal it's still 60 metres gained.

Right now you're this:
View attachment 1941809

Ok so he's "s**t cos I reckon" it is then.

Stats give an indication. And yes I have a subscription to see elite data.

Ok so he's "s**t cos I reckon" it is then.

Stats give an indication. And yes I have a subscription to see elite data.
Some stats used with context are useful yes. You used some garbage and a subscription only (which some VFL clubs don't use, for context) with absolutely no verification available to make your point.

But sure. You're right. Everyone else is wrong.

Some stats used with context are useful yes. You used some garbage and a subscription only (which some VFL clubs don't use, for context) with absolutely no verification available to make your point.

But sure. You're right. Everyone else is wrong.

Good luck to everyone. His markers and the fact he's selected in the best 22 every week is enough to support my argument 👌.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back