AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell aka Farnsy

Remove this Banner Ad

Merrett at 70, Dys inside the Top 50.
Yep based on their measured stats and nothing else and we all know footy games are not won on just stats.

What the Champion Data guy said on SEN in his “who the coaches missed segment” -

Dyson Heppell (Essendon)

“Some love for Dyson Heppell. He was the highest rated player for Essendon on the weekend and didn’t get a vote.

“He is actually in the top 50 players in the competition this year with the impact he’s had.”

“That’s the best return we’ve seen from Dyson for the last 10 years.”

Nothing against Dyson who is having a good year so far, but how can anyone take this statistical measurement seriously when you have Merrett ranked in the 70s and Heppell top 50?
Like I have said a few times. They do stats . They release a stats based list . They do not claim it to be anything else .
Stats are simply part of the picture . Use them in context and they are fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you're not surprised dyson heppell is rated in the top 50 players in the comp? not even a little?
Not surprised the stats back up what I’ve watched that he’s playing very well in a number of key areas.

The exact rank etc is not what I’m focusing on with my comment, top 50 is a little rich.

If you're going to make a noise, can you make it clear? Who the heck is Farnsy?
giphy.gif

Like I have said a few times. They do stats . They release a stats based list . They do not claim it to be anything else .
Stats are simply part of the picture . Use them in context and they are fine.

And as has been said a few times back to you, they have collected stats and then created a model which values certain stats more than others.

This is fine. That is partly what they are paid to do (statistical analysis).

However their model should be (and is) ridiculed when it throws up Dyson Heppell as a more impactful player than Zac Merrett this season.

And yes, this list has been stated as the list of players who have the largest impacts on games.

I don’t have much interest in what some sabremetrics poindexter has to say.

He’s covering the ground miles better than he was 18 months ago and playing better accordingly.

A victory for spending a shitload of money on myotherapy

Big shout out to the understated, coolheaded role that he played tonight. How many watching would realise that he had 26 near-perfect disposals? Safe marks under pressure and no doubt steering the positioning of our defenders. Won’t get votes, but perhaps he should.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back