Autopsy 2nd Prelim Final - Hawthorn v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawthorn got an armchair ride the whole game like they did against Adelaide in the 2012 prelim.

It was obvious to everyone but deluded Hawthorn 80s spoonfed bandwagoners like yourself.

That's just complete rubbish. We got less frees, had 2 obvious throws by Port that resulted in goals and the Monfries shocker. The worst anyone can think of for Port was Ebert which we suffered many times over during the game but because it denied them an I50 in the last minute all the Port 'barrackers' are up in arms.

You blokes are basically seeing what you want to see because you didn't get the result you all wanted. The fairytale didn't eventuate.

Port had their chance to win this game but it was their first quarter kicking, not the umpires, that was the one and only reason that can be blamed for them not doing so.

autopsy-17.jpg

It's fitting for this thread to be given the Autopsy prefix because it's mainly a bunch of stiffs with their brains removed.

The thing I find hilarious here, is that all these keyboard heroes hellbent on flying the flag for Port (really on account of their hatred of/inferiority complex toward the Hawks), are quoting a few questionable (though not cut and dry) decisions that went Hawthorn's way, but say nothing about the howlers against Hawthorn.

The 'free' in the last ten seconds was the most absurd. Monfries holding Lake's arm, no free. Lake dives on the ball, and all of a sudden Port were robbed?

Pay the first free, or don't pay a free at all.

On the Bay, on the main board, or anywhere else, you have zero credibility when it comes to umpiring.
You have no clue. Port were robbed!

When we look back in the coming years this will be viewed as the best game of the 2014 finals series. Cant see next weeks being as exciting, Sydney's already paid for the flag, just picking it up next week.

Umpiring was s**t for both sides, the standard has definitely dropped this year, missed frees and soft ones paid for both teams. We lost because we didn't take our chances in front of goal, ones we'd put away 95% of the time. When Schulz is missing from straight out in front, then you know we didn't bring our kicking boots.

Our turn will come, hopefully it's in the next couple of years, we deserve it.

Congrats Hawks.

The soft free to Gunston in the 2nd quarter and the next one that gave them another softie started the Hawks run and got them into the game, that felt like a massive momentum killer for Port who may have gone about 6 goals up if the natural play kept going early days.

Quite true. When the Gunston free was paid, the pressure was high enough that Hawks were fumbling everywhere and for mine looked gone. Then the best kick in the team gets the ball given to him within 50 and straight in front when the play wouldn't have even got there. Followed up by another soft one as you said completely changed the momentum of the game and killed all Port's good work with the pressure. On the other hand, if Port could kick straight before that, it wouldn't have been an issue for them.

Might be Hawks last shot at it this year with younger teams like Port improving. Hawks have some good younger players but they aren't at the level of Port's yet. Start of next season Lake will be 33, Mitchell and Burgoyne will be 32, Gibson and Sewell will be 31, and Hale and Hodge will be 30. Will be surprised if they can keep them all fit and they don't lose a bit of pace like our older guys.

Wanted to add that one thing I loved about last night's game was seeing passionate supporters for two teams even though one was interstate.

I much prefer SA and WA teams in the finals than NSW and QLD because they actually care about footy over there like us. The crowd felt like it was at least 60-40 Hawks-Port, and the Port supporters had some voice.

Shows why expansion clubs should be started in Tassie and NT, where there is far more obsession with footy than Gold Coast or Western Sydney.

Quite true. When the Gunston free was paid, the pressure was high enough that Hawks were fumbling everywhere and for mine looked gone. Then the best kick in the team gets the ball given to him within 50 and straight in front when the play wouldn't have even got there. Followed up by another soft one as you said completely changed the momentum of the game and killed all Port's good work with the pressure. On the other hand, if Port could kick straight before that, it wouldn't have been an issue for them.

Might be Hawks last shot at it this year with younger teams like Port improving. Hawks have some good younger players but they aren't at the level of Port's yet. Start of next season Lake will be 33, Mitchell and Burgoyne will be 32, Gibson and Sewell will be 31, and Hale and Hodge will be 30. Will be surprised if they can keep them all fit and they don't lose a bit of pace like our older guys.

Winning flags at Box Hill and the fact we managed top 2 with all those guys you mentioned bar Silk missing chunks of the season. Our kids are very good! Plus free agency will ensure we stay around the top 4 for a sustained period.

Dangerfield loved the facilities ✌️

That's just complete rubbish. We got less frees, had 2 obvious throws by Port that resulted in goals and the Monfries shocker. The worst anyone can think of for Port was Ebert which we suffered many times over during the game but because it denied them an I50 in the last minute all the Port 'barrackers' are up in arms.

You blokes are basically seeing what you want to see because you didn't get the result you all wanted. The fairytale didn't eventuate.

Port had their chance to win this game but it was their first quarter kicking, not the umpires, that was the one and only reason that can be blamed for them not doing so.

we are football fans. Its our job to be overly biased.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully the umpire who made the bad HTB decision at the end does not get the GF.

People thinking it is a fix are dreaming. Great game that was unfortunately ruined in the end by an individuals mistake.

Port are going to be scary good over the next few years and if they get Ryder from us without giving up any of their key players they are going to be even better.

we are football fans. Its our job to be overly biased.

Yeah, I suffer from it too.

Actually not having a go at the Port supporters. Been fantastic on the whole.

Was more directed at all the other fans who were barracking for a Hawks loss.

I think the hawks took their foot off the pedal halfway through the last. It sounds disrespectful, but I really think we went into preservation mode.

Port showed why you can't do that to a quality team. They must be shattered.

Also, in terms of accuracy in the first quarter, they did miss a few snaps and easy-ish shots, but they also missed 3-4 shots from 40-50m out near the boundary. Despite dominating they weren't creating quality opportunities and it shaped the scoreboard a bit.

Our scoring chances came in much better positions:
Roughy: first goal directly in front 40m out, a couple running into the goal Square, one where he was given far too much room to have a ping from 50+.

The hodge goal was 5m out, as was smith's (closer to 25m, by directly in front). Hale snapped from a ball up 10m out.

Suckling's running goal was also from the corridor.

Our accuracy isn't just good skill - we missed some set shots (Langford, Burgoyne) that were very gettable). We've manufactured better scoring chances this year and it shows in our goal/behind ratio.

Ultimately you like to see the players decide the game, not soft/poor umpiring. Not saying port would have won, or deserved to win, but would have been nice to see both teams decide it for themselves

I think the hawks took their foot off the pedal halfway through the last. It sounds disrespectful, but I really think we went into preservation mode.

I agree. We thought we had the game in hand but a few things conspired against us.

Obviously the umpiring gave them a leg up to get them going again and we also had Lewis off, rather than Ceglar/Spangher, which left us slower than we'd otherwise have liked at the end. Combine this with us looking to ease out the last 10 minutes rather than run it out. Once they got going again we found it hard get the levels back up to where they needed to be.

They dominated the first Q. We then clearly had the best of the game for the next 2.5 quarters to such an extent the game 'should have been' iced. A combo of factors, as mentioned, gave them the leg up to run it out and we nearly blew it, but overall that was a pretty impressive performance to absorb the best of an in form team and then power away during the course of the game.

Port were sensational today. They've got great players on most lines and when Wines, Wingard and Neade get a few more matches under them they are premiership calibre.

Unfortunately too many butchers in the side cost them the match and a very ordinary coach on top.

Sadly for Port Ken Hinkley looks to be another Grant Thomas. Poor tactically, loves getting his face and voice on camera, repeats words and does not evolve with a game of footy, other than release the shackles.

That part about Hinkley is the most ridiculous thing i have read in this thread.

You blokes are unbelievable. Even on your board there is whinging about umpires.
There is something wrong ingrained in the psyche of the average hawk. Not only did Port cop the rough end of the stick but you think you did and then there is the part where you can't even enjoy a win coz of it.
Surely you would be happy but no.
It's unbelievable. Is there a group of fans who worry about umpires as much as you guys?

Feels like we beat Geelong again last night...

Can you guys stop living vicariously through better teams, with better supporters?

Yeah, easy to say that when you know exactly how long is left.

Maybe he watched Mackie take a lifetime to get back on his mark and take too long to bomb it in the week before? It's a fine line.

Added to that is had he got the quick kick away, both Westhoff and Wines were clear of their men leading into space about 30 out. It's sometimes a game of split seconds and inches - had it come off we would be lauding him for the courage to play on. That fast, risk taking style is what brought us back into the contest, but it just didn't come off this time

Last edited:
Nothing would be sweeter then rolling Sydney next week to stick it up all these bitter neutrals whose season ended 4 weeks ago

Went last night and it was a fantastic atmosphere. The holding the ball call was rubbish but there were plenty that went the other way. Monfries kick was terrible as well, umpires lost the plot in the last.

I felt the game turned a little in the second quarter when Pittard ignored two options out wide and risked a kick in board that was turned over and lead to a goal. Gave the hawks plenty of momentum.

Easy to criticize Ebert but it's that play on at all costs that sees Port at their best and got them back into the game late. Completely understandable.

I said it all week that to beat Port you need to take your chances because of their style when the momentum swings their way they'll always get numbers clear. Fremantle couldn't do it, Hawks did.

End of the day, if Port kick straight early they're five goals up at quarter time at least and probably win.

Congratulations hawthorn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back