Autopsy 2nd Prelim Final - Hawthorn v Port Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

A close Port Adelaide loss in a PF. Bwahahahahahahaha.

That's getting close to orgasm territory Hawkers, good job :D

Not only did the AFL and the umpires fix the win, so did Port themselves kicking 3.9 early and 13.16 for the match.

Lol, any Port fan whinging about the umpiring is kidding themselves. Yes it went against you at some important times, BUT the blame has to lie with your atrocious goal kicking, much like it did with Freo last week.

Freo kick straight last week in the first half, you guys don't play a prelim.

You kick straight in the first quarter, Hawks need a herculean effort to get back in it.

Port. I'm disappointed. Despite outplaying these buffoons. Despite no break and facing a rested team assembled from the choice of AFL charity picks, buy-ins and a one-eyed ump (Stevic), you still fluffed it by missing opportunities.

Nevermind, you get it sorted out and we'll see you in the 2015 GF.

Port. I'm disappointed. Despite outplaying these buffoons. Despite no break and facing a rested team assembled from the choice of AFL charity picks, buy-ins and a one-eyed ump (Stevic), you still fluffed it by missing opportunities.

Nevermind, you get it sorted out and we'll see you in the 2015 GF.

And to think they did it all in 24 months with absolutely no unfair advantage over the rest of the competition!

You see? It CAN be done...

That's just complete rubbish. We got less frees, had 2 obvious throws by Port that resulted in goals and the Monfries shocker. The worst anyone can think of for Port was Ebert which we suffered many times over during the game but because it denied them an I50 in the last minute all the Port 'barrackers' are up in arms.

You blokes are basically seeing what you want to see because you didn't get the result you all wanted. The fairytale didn't eventuate.

Port had their chance to win this game but it was their first quarter kicking, not the umpires, that was the one and only reason that can be blamed for them not doing so.

You might've got less frees overall but you got favourable umpiring at crucial times, no more obvious than the 2nd quarter where you got back in front or in the last couple of minutes where Port got pinged for holding the ball with no prior and a more blatant holding the ball against Hawthorn was ignored.

It's pretty obvious the AFL wanted a Sydney v Hawthorn GF to hype up the Buddy against his old side thing and the umpires did their best to ensure it.

That being said Port still could've won the game if they'd taken their chances in front of goal.

I think the hawks took their foot off the pedal halfway through the last. It sounds disrespectful, but I really think we went into preservation mode.

Port showed why you can't do that to a quality team. They must be shattered.

Also, in terms of accuracy in the first quarter, they did miss a few snaps and easy-ish shots, but they also missed 3-4 shots from 40-50m out near the boundary. Despite dominating they weren't creating quality opportunities and it shaped the scoreboard a bit.

Our scoring chances came in much better positions:
Roughy: first goal directly in front 40m out, a couple running into the goal Square, one where he was given far too much room to have a ping from 50+.

The hodge goal was 5m out, as was smith's (closer to 25m, by directly in front). Hale snapped from a ball up 10m out.

Suckling's running goal was also from the corridor.

Our accuracy isn't just good skill - we missed some set shots (Langford, Burgoyne) that were very gettable). We've manufactured better scoring chances this year and it shows in our goal/behind ratio.
Absolutely spot on.

Port were having shots on goal from the boundary, or rushed snaps under pressure, they are low percentage chances. Hawks would go down the other end and end up with a shot on goal from the middle.

People need to realise that Port's 'dominance' didn't result in good scoring chances, the quality of the inside 50 entires was clearly inferior to that of Hawthorn.

The puzzling part was Hawthorn deciding to shut up shop with 10 min left and simply try to hold on and not lose instead of simply backing themselves in to deliver the knock out punch....poor strategy and almost cost them.

Umpiring gave Hawthorn the kick start they needed at the start of Q2, but they still were the better side up until the last 15 min anyway.

Great game, and we now get the GF most people were hoping for....c'mon Buddy, do it for the Bloods and the jumper! ;)

I can see why Port fans would complain about umps considering the 10 shots on goal the umps gave them versus Freo.

Port obviously need that "helping hand" to get the job done.

Doubt they'll be top 4 next year, they are playing about as well as they can and finished 5th. Crows will go past them next year.

I can see why Port fans would complain about umps considering the 10 shots on goal the umps gave them versus Freo.

Doubt they'll be top 4 next year, they are playing about as well as they can and finished 5th. Crows will go past them next year.
Who do you think will coach the crows. Sounds like whoever does will have a tough time controlling the egos

Who do you think will coach the crows. Sounds like whoever does will have a tough time controlling the egos

If they don't get an experienced coach in there they might struggle.

I'm not a great Woosha fan (tactically he's a bit meh) but he could look everyone of those Crows players in the eye and tell them the cold hard truth.

Adelaide, like WCE, is the well resourced establishment club in SA, so I reckon he'd be comfortable there and the board would love him.

He'd need some good assistants though.

And to think they did it all in 24 months with absolutely no unfair advantage over the rest of the competition!

You see? It CAN be done...

I have much admiration for Port and what they've accomplished. Great team. Unlucky to lose the PF. I'm hoping we'll meet them in the 2015 decider.

As for Hawks. Gifted Roughy as a priority pick by the AFL and now having a pet umpire killing your opponent's momentum. 9.8% won't buy those advantages.

If they don't get an experienced coach in there they might struggle.

I'm not a great Woosha fan (tactically he's a bit meh) but he could look everyone of those Crows players in the eye and tell them the cold hard truth.

Adelaide, like WCE, is the well resourced establishment club in SA, so I reckon he'd be comfortable there and the board would love him.

He'd need some good assistants though.
Seems like not a lot of people are keen for it. Do you think Woosha would put his hand up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing would be sweeter then rolling Sydney next week to stick it up all these bitter neutrals whose season ended 4 weeks ago

Perhaps it's not bitterness. Perhaps it's a perception that Hawks fans are arrogant flogs who like nothing more than a good toss in front of a mirror.

Absolutely spot on.

Port were having shots on goal from the boundary, or rushed snaps under pressure, they are low percentage chances. Hawks would go down the other end and end up with a shot on goal ...
A lot of the misses were regulation shots on goal.
The biggest difference was Port players including Schulz not allowing for the cross goal breeze. That is what home ground advantage does and fair enough as it was a Hawthorn home game.

Sides having a home ground in a GF though is wrong and that means teams like Freo and Port need to have more regular season games against Melbourne based sides scheduled at the G instead of Tasmania, Canberra, Darwin, Cairns, Alice Springs etc.

The biggest difference was Port players including Schulz not allowing for the cross goal breeze. That is what home ground advantage does and fair enough as it was a Hawthorn home game.

Sides having a home ground in a GF though is wrong and that means teams like Freo and Port need to have more regular season games scheduled at the G instead of Tasmania, Canberra, Darwin, Cairns, Alice Springs etc.

should we make sure those home and away games are only played at the G when there are twicky wicky bweezes bwowing?

Wut? Port are a better bet than the Hawks to top 4 next year.

should we make sure those home and away games are only played at the G when there are twicky wicky bweezes bwowing?
Yeah and call them brown paper bag games.

Sides having a home ground in a GF though is wrong and that means teams like Freo and Port need to have more regular season games against Melbourne based sides scheduled at the G instead of Tasmania, Canberra, Darwin, Cairns, Alice Springs etc.

Agree, it sucks. Hawks have a huge advantage at MCG. In many respects the AFL is still the VFL

Umpiring was poor across the board I thought. People are focussing too much on the last HTB decision, the free against Gibson that ended up in Monfries goaling was equally as dubious, and equally as important. There were plenty more that went either way too

And it was finally good to see Rough step up on the big stage. Will definitely need another performance like that from him next Saturday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back