2nd Test Australia v West Indies Jan 25-29 1430hrs @ the Gabba

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I thought the DRS was brought into the game to eliminate the "HOWLER"? The Chanderpaul decision of Not Out was no howler and i wonder why we have umpires at all, i suppose somebody has to hold the bowlers cap. No umpire in the world would've been able to give that out. I know i am in the minority, but that snicko was like a fly landing on the bat...I wonder what Chris Broad would think?

For all the whining about his captaincy it can't go unnoticed how consistently he has stood up with bat or ball over the past couple years when we needed him to. Leads from the front time and time again!

i'd argue he has under performed with the bat till that match winning dig a few months ago, it's funny i think he can avg 20 but do we want him out in the middle at the risk of a broken finger.

I thought the DRS was brought into the game to eliminate the "HOWLER"? The Chanderpaul decision of Not Out was no howler and i wonder why we have umpires at all, i suppose somebody has to hold the bowlers cap. No umpire in the world would've been able to give that out. I know i am in the minority, but that snicko was like a fly landing on the bat...I wonder what Chris Broad would think?
Dunno why everyone is so keen on saying DRS is just for “howlers”. Surely we just want decisions to be as accurate as possible? If you’re out you’re out, if you’re not you’re not. End of story.

I like Test Cricket.
Perhaps be honest yourself, people on here don’t enjoy Test Cricket. They abuse the players non stop.
They get so bored with the days play, they start discussing commentary changes.
Commentary changes SMH, LMFAO.
This is it. Do people forget what tests used to be like with scoring rates?

This may be a moderate (being generous) deck for a pink Test but it has not stopped this game from being a gripping one with twist and turns that'd make a good Agatha Christie mystery.

The Windies attack threw everything they had at us but our Test Player of the Year anchored expertly for Carey and the skipper to then throw the willow to erase the huge deficit. I have us ahead now as we have regained the momentum, with Josh's late wicket a bonus.....

Last edited:
It's weird how we all want the West Indies to win & are disappointed we re-gathered lol

i guess west indies winning might force the changes people say they want. i have to agree we've missed the opportunity to blood some new players.
i've really enjoyed this test so far. i hate feeling sorry for a touring team which can happen from time to time when they're uncompetitive - not the case here. it's great pounding on england and india, when they let us.

i guess west indies winning might force the changes people say they want. i have to agree we've missed the opportunity to blood some new players.
i've really enjoyed this test so far. i hate feeling sorry for a touring team which can happen from time to time when they're uncompetitive - not the case here. it's great pounding on england and india, when they let us.

Not sure we collectively want them to win but we all want to see a close game - so many Tests out here are floggings.

Nothing today
Tomorrow will get rain so a few hours play possible. Monday only a little rain
A quick google of the weather has not much rain today, but plenty setting in for Sunday and Monday.

Locals, what say you?

This is a bizarre hill to die on.

This may be a moderate (being generous) deck for a pink Test but it has not stopped this game from being a gripping one with twist and turns that'd make a good Agatha Christie mystery.

The Windies attack threw everything they had at us but our Test Player of the Year anchored expertly for Carey and the skipper to then throw the willow to erase the huge deficit. I have us ahead now as we have regained the momentum, with Josh's later wicket a bonus.....
They way our batting line up has been lately bgman if the West Indies get a lead of 250 they are favourites to win imo

Going to be a huge first session today

If a test match is a narrative, a test series is like a trilogy; you have heroes and villains, fools and jesters, the fortunes of players and teams rising and falling. The problem this summer has been that we haven't really had any narratives we hadn't seen before emerge; sure, Mohammed Jamal's bowling was exciting from a debutant and the slight edge in the game Pakistan gained in Melbourne made for a more exciting test, but it's only until last night that we truly had a twist no-one foresaw (yes, greyhound punter, you thought they'd stretch us, but did you truly think the West Indies would have us 4/24 and 5/54 and 200 runs in arrears?) and the players actually had to go up a gear and get out of their comfort zones to match their opponents and recover their position in the game.

Yesterday was two things: a team realising for the first time what they can do and who they can be with the bat, the ball and in the field, and a great side having to actually exert effort to force the game back into parity. You have a wonderful swashbuckling knock from Carey which was absolutely necessary to push their youth back into their shells a bit, you had Khawaja playing the gritty rearguard knock he's made his mainstay, and you had Cummins playing in an idiosyncratic fashion that he forced to work because the team needed him to make it work. You had Cummins and Khawaja then Cummins and Lyon both defying the stars for hours, judging the moment.

Then, the declaration: we've just taken your best shot and yeah, it was a good one. But can you throw another?

I get that a third test here wouldn't have been practical for whatever reason, but this West Indies side deserves another test to learn and grow here. If nothing else, their bowling and fielding force us to play our best because they've saved more runs yesterday than Pakistan did across three tests.

Last edited:
Nothing today
Tomorrow will get rain so a few hours play possible. Monday only a little rain
Different sites seem to be giving different forecasts for today. BOM summary is rain likely late afternoon and night. Which would mean a start but some delays, potentially day-ending if storm arrives. BOM more detailed likewise, but with only 10% chance of rain at the most - so more likely a full day's play.
Accuweather almost the opposite, storms (scattered so could miss the ground) at the start at about 50% rain; and chance of rain decreasing after that.

In other words, probably some play, good chance of a full day.

I'm in two minds really.
It was right on the borderline of being able to overturn, imo. The evidence was strong that he hit it, but was it conclusive? Snicko alone is never conclusive, other noises can and do happen simultaneously quite regularly. Was there enough with other evidence to overturn?
I guess if you have the technology you have to trust it, yet something like this still comes down to a judgment call. (Yet we don't trust the tech with "umpire's call" on LBW even when that may not be the reason an umpire said not out - but that's a separate rant).

It was introduced to give Shane Watson a second chance in every innings even if his stumps were splayed all over the place

Was there enough with other evidence to overturn?
There was a mark on hotspot, and snicko indicated a sound (which I heard when it first happened). There was no gap between bat and ball. They've overturned decisions on less than that before. Was pretty clear.

LBW is a little different, as we're looking (with ball tracking) at what might happen, not what has happened.

Last edited:

Was a clear spike as ball passes bat that is given out 100 times out of 100 under drs, drs was brought in to eliminate calls of bias and to bring a consistency to umpiring with a clear easy to follow and repeatable system and it's mostly worked very well under drs that one was just out and you can't be watching much cricket if you think ones like that are usually given not out.

Did he edge it or not?

It's a black and white question - there no grey or room for interpretation.

Back