AFL Player #30: Nate Caddy

Remove this Banner Ad

Caddy in the Team WhatsApp Group:

“Hey boys, they’ve got me doing a precautionary back scan on Monday - is that normal?”

*Harry Jones has left the chat
*Zach Reid has left the chat
*Nik Cox has left the chat
*Jordan Ridley has left the chat
Jaden Hunter out

We need this as a mural outside the club.
Our new spirit animal

Please be alive

Anyone else wondering if our medicos look like this

Animated GIF

Not sure what the outrage is about. Landed on his back in a contest. Had scans. Precautionary actions. We know it is a back issue.

Not sure what the outrage is about. Landed on his back in a contest. Had scans. Precautionary actions. We know it is a back issue.

If people want to be outraged or annoyed they can

Yeah. Back.
Yet we know nothing about it, he’s not mentioned.
Not that hard to say he had some scans on his back, nothing serious was found he’s a bit sore he’ll be out of training for a couple of weeks and then return to the main group
After he’s been hyped up to fans all summer it’s pretty poor to just leave them in the dark
Usually when that happens it means there’s a more sinister issue that they’re keeping under wraps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean this was what they said last week (20/2)

Jordan Ridley, Peter Wright, Ben Hobbs, and first year draftee Nate Caddy will sit out of the practice match at RSEA Park, however are all expected to be available for Friday week’s Community Series Match against Geelong.

I reckon we hold off burning down the Hangar until after he isn’t named to play against Geelong

I reckon we hold off burning down the Hangar until after he isn’t named to play against Geelong
I guess it's not too hard to name injured players on the injury list, that's where the guts of the frustration is coming from as far as I can determine. If you looked only at the list rather than reading articles etc you wouldn't know.

Nate Caddy - Back - 1 week (or TBD/pending scans/whatever)

Not that hard for a supposed professional sporting organisation.

Highly talented young player in their first pre-season with the club is managed cautiously after a heavy fall.

BURN IT ALL

I guess it's not too hard to name injured players on the injury list, that's where the guts of the frustration is coming from as far as I can determine. If you looked only at the list rather than reading articles etc you wouldn't know.

He might not be injured though, we've destroyed enough young talls to hopefully have learned to manage them cautiously early-on.

He might not be injured though, we've destroyed enough young talls to hopefully have learned to manage them cautiously early-on.
Suspensions and personal reasons are included on injury lists. No reason they can't add something like "precautionary" after which they can update it if it turns out to be something more serious.

Suspensions and personal reasons are included on injury lists. No reason they can't add something like "precautionary" after which they can update it if it turns out to be something more serious.

There's heaps of player management in the pre-season that never gets noted on the injury report, they tend to get noted in-season because they're otherwise expected to be actually playing in a sanctioned match (AFL or VFL) if they're not otherwise injured. Heaps of players have done modified sessions, or missed sessions, without it being reported as to why.

I don't think there are any formal injury lists/updates in the AFL yet, probably the rules stipulate a particular day before the H&A games that it has to be sent to the AFL but we're not into that part of the season yet. It's a bit of a gap.

However, I suspect if we did have an injury list he probably wouldn't be on it anyway, or if he was he'd probably be listed as 'test'. Sometimes there's just nothing else to say.

There are new rules this year that players have to speak to the media if the media requests them to speak, and I think there are rules around injury transparency to some extent as well, but since we're still in the pre-season the best we're likely to get is with the team announcement.

There's heaps of player management in the pre-season that never gets noted on the injury report, they tend to get noted in-season because they're otherwise expected to be actually playing in a sanctioned match (AFL or VFL) if they're not otherwise injured. Heaps of players have done modified sessions, or missed sessions, without it being reported as to why.

I don't think there are any formal injury lists/updates in the AFL yet, probably the rules stipulate a particular day before the H&A games that it has to be sent to the AFL but we're not into that part of the season yet. It's a bit of a gap.

However, I suspect if we did have an injury list he probably wouldn't be on it anyway, or if he was he'd probably be listed as 'test'. Sometimes there's just nothing else to say.

There are new rules this year that players have to speak to the media if the media requests them to speak, and I think there are rules around injury transparency to some extent as well, but since we're still in the pre-season the best we're likely to get is with the team announcement.

Fair point on the non-sanctioned matches only atm therefore no formal injury lists being lodged. Hadn't thought of that at all but it wouldn't be difficult for the club to maintain and injury list from start of preseason.

I guess I'm neck deep in following NBA where they have daily updates, sometimes several times a day (players listed on game day as questionable to probable to playing for example) so am seeing how easily it can be done. I need to lower my expectations though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back