AFL Player #30: Nate Caddy

Remove this Banner Ad

I can see him coming on very quickly if we start becoming a dominant midfield. He will benefit from players lowering their eyes and hitting him up while he’s playing on the 3rd tall back. If this happens his development will be rapid as I think he he has forward nous. If our midfield struggles then he will be bypassed by rushed kicks, kick-and-hopes, and bombs to Wright. He needs to be the icing on the cake in the seniors otherwise he needs to develop in the VFL.

I can see him coming on very quickly if we start becoming a dominant midfield. He will benefit from players lowering their eyes and hitting him up while he’s playing on the 3rd tall back. If this happens his development will be rapid as I think he he has forward nous. If our midfield struggles then he will be bypassed by rushed kicks, kick-and-hopes, and bombs to Wright. He needs to be the icing on the cake in the seniors otherwise he needs to develop in the VFL.
One of those scenarios seems much more likely to me.

One of those scenarios seems much more likely to me.
It’s alright Ducky, everything will click next season. All of a sudden they’ll be moving around the field like a murmuration of starlings - Merrett’s Murmuration will be far more progressive than Clarko’s cluster ever was.

Last edited:
I'm just hoping that Caddy in means Weideman is out. Does Caddy have the build to play seniors in his first year or will he need significant VFL time to develop?
Hell be able to play senior footy next year. I’d say he starts in the 2s, but wouldn’t be surprised if he’s in the afl side by mid season. Drafted at 85kg, probably 87 or so by r1

Long term it would be great if both Caddy and Jones come on.

Then we can flick Wright off and play the resting ruck forward with the two mobile forwards, one power (Caddy) one running (Jones)

A future forward line of Draper/Caddy/Jones would be quite nice.

Then we can flick Wright off and play the resting ruck forward with the two mobile forwards, one power (Caddy) one running (Jones)

If Jones doesn't lift his game, Hunter.
Wright won't and shouldn't be ousted so easily. 50+ goal forward and still young.

I'm just hoping that Caddy in means Weideman is out. Does Caddy have the build to play seniors in his first year or will he need significant VFL time to develop?
He will not be playing defence 😛

Yes, let's get rid of a guy who's averaging nigh on 2 goals/game for us since moving over, whilst spending more than a little bit of time as a ruck.

Alternatively, if Jones and Caddy do come on, we could use him as the best forward/ruck in the AFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, let's get rid of a guy who's averaging nigh on 2 goals/game for us since moving over, whilst spending more than a little bit of time as a ruck.

Alternatively, if Jones and Caddy do come on, we could use him as the best forward/ruck in the AFL
1 ruck and a pinch hitting Wright is way better than 2 rucks and Wright.

I've always disliked the 2 genuine ruck set up, when has it ever been a big weapon for teams?

Can a Wright, Langford, Caddy and Hunter/Jones forward line work? with 2 genuine smalls.

I've always disliked the 2 genuine ruck set up, when has it ever been a big weapon for teams?

Can a Wright, Langford, Caddy and Hunter/Jones forward line work? with 2 genuine smalls.
It would be one of Hunter / Caddy / Jones

WCE made it work fairly well with Natanui, Draper is more that style of ruckman that has power at a stoppage and could probably rest forward allowing Bryan more ruck minutes.

Goldy + Wright is probably fine for the start of this season if Draper and Bryan aren't ready, and if we can find another genuine forward target then a Draper + Wright or Bryan + Wright combo long-term could be fine.

It would be one of Hunter / Caddy / Jones

Hopefully in that order.

Hunter and Caddy should put pressure on Jones.

A shitload of pressure on Jones.

If Jones is still kicking for goal waywardly, see ya.

Hopefully in that order.

Hunter and Caddy should put pressure on Jones.

A shitload of pressure on Jones.

If Jones is still kicking for goal waywardly, see ya.
Because a 70% accuracy rate is terrible. Josh Kennedy went at under 65% and is considered one of, if not the best set shots of the modern era.

Because a 70% accuracy rate is terrible. Josh Kennedy went at under 65% and is considered one of, if not the best set shots of the modern era.
I don't think it's incorrect to suggest Jones kicking after his long lay off wasn't the best. Not saying he wont find rhythm again, but he certainly lost accuracy when playing last year.

Sure. I am happy for Wright to be a ruck forward.

WCE made it work fairly well with Natanui, Draper is more that style of ruckman that has power at a stoppage and could probably rest forward allowing Bryan more ruck minutes.

Goldy + Wright is probably fine for the start of this season if Draper and Bryan aren't ready, and if we can find another genuine forward target then a Draper + Wright or Bryan + Wright combo long-term could be fine.
Bellcho and Ryder were dangerous when both of them were fit and firing too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back