Player Watch #34: Jack Graham - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

You misunderstood like the others. It’s acceleration to reach maximum speed .
MRJ may have a slightly lesser maximum speed than JGTI , but his acceleration to get to his maximum speed is greater and therefore can get to more contests or break away from them. Whereas the Walrus has a slower acceleration and therefore takes longer to reach his maximum speed and spends most of the game chasing players. So who is actually faster in the end ?
Is it The half arsed slightly faster footballer/ Marathon runner or the slightly slower one who can stop or create play on the football field? Football in the midfield which is JGTI so called premier position has greatly become about accelerating rapidly from a position whether stationary or not at greater rate than your opponent. It’s not about taking a large amount of time to reach your peak speed and jogging half marathons bc in the end you need to be either first to the ball so you can set up plays or in least time possible to counteract a contest if they have the ball.
It’s not Rocket Science and the reality is the eyes can identify this phenomena to the simple observer.

There we have it folks. If JGTI doesn't go 0 to 100 in 3.2 seconds then he is not actually travelling at 100 when he is travelling at 100. Because he took too long to get there.

TigerImposter(winding down his car window to greet one of the state's finest): "Can I help you officer?"

Constable: "Are you aware of the speed limit"

TI: "100 kph sir."

Constable: "is there a reason you were traveling 122kph just now?"

TI: "Well yes, if you actually watched instead of jumping to stupid conclusions, you would notice I accelerated to that speed very gradually, 0-122 in 37 seconds. So in fact while it looks to you like I am travelling 122kph, I am actually driving very slowly, it is all about basic physics."

Constable(on the Police radio): "VKC this is unit 43, full psych team please, urgent. Over"

:tearsofjoy:

There we have it folks. If JGTI doesn't go 0 to 100 in 3,2 seconds then he is not actually travelling at 100 when he is travelling at 100. Because he took too long to get there.

TigerImposter(winding down his car window to greet one of the state's finest): "Can I help you officer?"

TI: "Well yes, if you actually watched instead of jumping to stupid conclusions, you would notice I accelerated to that speed very gradually, 0-122 in 37 seconds. So in fact while it looks to you like I am travelling 122kph, I am actually driving very slowly, it is all about basic physics."

Constable(on the Police radio): "VKC this is unit 43, full psych team please, urgent. Over"

You still haven’t understood one word I’ve said, but Keep trying. Your example is so stupid it actually tells me why you should not be involved in this discussion.
I gave you a sad emoji bc I felt sad for you 😂

And then you agreed with Grrr post basically saying what I’ve been telling you. Lol

It's pretty obvious Graham is fast when up and running, he is a great gut runner as he can do it all day. Fact, because he has done it all his career.

Right now we have no midfielders with any bulk, so Graham should be playing in the guts. But he can't because he can't get to the ball fast enough over short distances, change direction or get his hands on the ball first in pack situations. Fact, because he has been doing it all his career, hence he has never been a full time mid.

It's not even up for conjecture because you just have to watch him play.

Love Love Gift Quote Reply
Report Start conversation
Reactions:You, Karp3_dm, Meteoric Rise and 2 others

Last edited:

There we have it folks. If JGTI doesn't go 0 to 100 in 3.2 seconds then he is not actually travelling at 100 when he is travelling at 100. Because he took too long to get there.

We can waffle on all day about his speed & lack of, but the reality is.... he has played like ******* s**t for the past few years. He has not grown as a player. At all.

1714476669980.png

He has not improved, at all, in 8 years. We could argue about his footspeed all day, but no one can argue his career has been remarkably "one paced". He at least was able to impact games when we were good when he was our 20th best player & surrounded by HOF's, but as a veteran, he hasn't been able to step up despite the younger players desperately needing him

a Midfielder who has never averaged 20 per game in closing in on a decade is not worth s**t, no matter how fast & far he can walk

Sure but let’s be clear, it’s blindingly obvious that ‘speed’ only became that once there was obvious proof that he actually runs faster than most other players (which you would clearly also class as speed)
Save yourself the trouble and end the discussion there.

We say that, but he is not much of an asset to us at the moment and we are in the same situation as them

View attachment 1975589

I think he is likely more valuable to a team who is contending and being a role player vs being a leader etc.
Exactly he played his best footy when he was surrounded by quality players with a lot of pace in the team.

You still can't put the pieces together. FFS
You wanted Miller and MRJ gone last year, yet you're carrying the flag for JGTI and you're questioning my credibility . You haven't proved me wrong as you used data from 2020 and failed to identify what has stunted JGTI speed since. lol

I don’t think Graham’s speed has changed … I just believe our team is much worse so quite often a lot of our players look flat footed and are chasing arse a lot more often.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty

The ‘tracker’ data in the AFL app shows Graham’s ‘average’ speed across a game is the fastest at Richmond. I accept this is more reflective of his ability to gut run for long periods and doesn’t show ‘peak’ speed, but you’d also have to accept he wouldn’t be at the top end of this tracker data if he was one of the slowest players in the AFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
We understand all this, but it's not my argument

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We say that, but he is not much of an asset to us at the moment and we are in the same situation as them

View attachment 1975589

I think he is likely more valuable to a team who is contending and being a role player vs being a leader etc.
Depends , he could be a std setter around the place , would be invaluable to young mids to learn how to train like a premiership player and the discipline around set ups et al

We understand all this, but it's not my argument

I’ve seen nothing to prove Graham is slower in 2024 than he was in 2017. He’s always been pretty poor at breaking tackles and slow to get to top speed. He’s a victim of us being a poor team, and as we know, all poor teams look slow to the naked eye. It’s nothing to do with leg speed - it’s ball movement, positioning and confidence to run to the right spots. The Hawks in their heyday looked really slick …. with a midfield of Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell and Hodge … all tortoises.

Maybe there is data to show he’s a lot slower than he was which I’ve missed? But if it’s just because he ‘looks’ slower that tells you nothing as all poor teams look slow IMO.

Graham always been a player that looks good when the team is up & running like when we won our Premierships but with our decline he is a meh player who now seems to have durability issues.

In less he joins a top 4 quality team, I think he will struggle at a mid-tier or bottom club.

He certainly won't be getting paid at another club of what he could have 2-3 years ago.
We will be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for him.

I’ve seen nothing to prove Graham is slower in 2024 than he was in 2017. He’s always been pretty poor at breaking tackles and slow to get to top speed. He’s a victim of us being a poor team, and as we know, all poor teams look slow to the naked eye. It’s nothing to do with leg speed - it’s ball movement, positioning and confidence to run to the right spots. The Hawks in their heyday looked really slick …. with a midfield of Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell and Hodge … all tortoises.

Maybe there is data to show he’s a lot slower than he was which I’ve missed? But if it’s just because he ‘looks’ slower that tells you nothing as all poor teams look slow IMO.

He could possibly be faster now than 2017 bc he's physically more mature now, but then with his toe and leg injuries who's to know. However he's still slow regardless of the season. He was definitely carried by a good team as stats were shown earlier by RJK Tiger that he hasn't improved since 2017.
The two highlighted sentences in your post above contradict your argument and make my point valid.
Top teams good players do cover /compensate for the inferior and also bring them into the game and this is why he maybe valuable to a side in contention rather than a bottom side. I still think the game has quickened more with rule changes and he's been found wanting. Watch how often his direct opponent get's the first or second kick after a behind is scored. He's struggling to do the most basic things right now as he's way too slow to get to top speed as you've already told us. That is my argument he has poor acceleration as to get to top speed rapidly you need to have great acceleration.

V=U + at , Where V is the final velocity, U is initial velocity , a is the acceleration and t is the time taken

let's assume the simple case he's stationary then U=0 and the equation of linear(keep it basic for JGTI) motion simplifies to:

V=at where the final Velocity V is directly proportional to the Acceleration a. So in order for V to be reached faster , a must be higher. The time t is relevant only as it's a constant based on the time he needs to be before his opponent or near enough to tackle/harrass his opponent.

Last edited:

i personally don't think he is any slower than he was when he was younger, but the issue is- he hasn't added anything to his game since he was young - if anything, he has got less. He used to be able to impact down forward more but it feels like that part of his game is no longer there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back