Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Can’t we just throw a footy on the ground and ask Trent Cotchin and Tom Browne to get it?
I’ll pay $20k to watch.

Can’t we just throw a footy on the ground and ask Trent Cotchin and Tom Browne to get it?
I’ll pay $20k to watch.

I could imagine Trent using him like speed hump. Winning the ball handballing to Tom only to run him down , then just rinse & repeat...😉

Rick’s priority is his daughter, that’s fine, that’s a matter for him.

But my priority is my club, our club, with 100k members who invest plenty into it. So as far as I’m concerned, he can shut the * up and not have a dig at Richmond 3 weeks later on radio, and let the club move on.

He could’ve done a fine job focusing on supporting his daughter publicly without bagging Richmond in the process like a simp. Last time I checked, we aren’t the Bot Police FC, it’s not Richmond’s job to protect her from the trolls and fake accounts which was essentially the main issue he had - the relentless backlash on social media which I saw him there days on end responding to the comments for her.

Piss off campaigner.

Rick’s priority is his daughter, that’s fine, that’s a matter for him.

But my priority is my club, our club, with 100k members who invest plenty into it. So as far as I’m concerned, he can shut the fu** up and not have a dig at Richmond 3 weeks later on radio, and let the club move on.

He could’ve done a fine job focusing on supporting his daughter publicly without bagging Richmond in the process like a simp. Last time I checked, we aren’t the Bot Police FC, it’s not Richmond’s job to protect her from the trolls and fake accounts which was essentially the main issue he had - the relentless backlash on social media which I saw him there days on end responding to the comments for her.

Piss off campaigner.
Agreed that Rick's only concern would (and should) be what's best for his daughter and I don't expect him to give a crap about the club for its own sake. But I have no idea why he thought going on radio and slamming the club would help Brooke? At this stage the only people standing up for brooke is richmond, and dredging up this story which is yesterday's news is only going to send more trolls her way. At the end of the day she's an adult, and along with Trent (the captain of the bloody team) they should be able to stand up for themselves in any discussions with the club so I find it hard to believe they got shafted. If he felt she was hard done by he should have sorted it in-house, mouthing off on triple M stinks of self-aggrandising to me

have to say Cotch is killing it, Id go as far as to say he is in career best form. Last few games have been scintillating.
I think that Trent isn’t our best player, but he’s our most important. He makes such a difference to us when he’s in at that Centre bounce, or any other contested situation.
Would have beaten Port if he’d played imo. They struggled to beat us despite centre clearance dominance, something that would not have happened if Cotch was in there.

All very interesting...and unfortunate.
But if you choose to be a social media influencer...and soak up the adulation...you gotta take it when it swings the other way...especially if you bring it on yourself...inadvertently or not.
And you'd think if a fathers priority is the best interests of his daughter...you WOULD NOT unnecessarily fan the flames of what was a dead issue. As the player I thought he was I would have expected it...maybe a bit of a knucklehead. But he's the financial adviser for a friend of mine and he has nothing but good things to say about him over a long time. Maybe he'd just got on the turps before that radio interview.
And then we have no less than the CEO's wife saying the cotchins "threatened" to leave the hub and inferring I think that it took a while for them to agree to pay the fine. Now everyone else (even caro) is scampering to say that was the wrong word to use. Of course we will never know. As you'd reckon it's batten down the hatches time now...a little late maybe :).
Certainly smells like a bit of a princess moment. With at least a whiff of the wallet moths at play. I'd like to be sure that they and not the club do actually pay the fine...given that is what we have been told will happen. And hopefully all this won't end up impacting on the season. It hasn't seemed to so far. But these matters can have delayed effects.
But when it's all said and done, anyone who was part of giving me that 2017 premiership, the happiest time of my life (sadly :), they can do anything they want now...with impunity.
Still interesting though. Especially from a club which has been so good at controlling their narrative for so long. Caro has been banging on for months that Gale and Balme should have always been at the hub...or at least one of them...and so far her view seems to me to have been spot on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that Trent isn’t our best player, but he’s our most important. He makes such a difference to us when he’s in at that Centre bounce, or any other contested situation.
Would have beaten Port if he’d played imo. They struggled to beat us despite centre clearance dominance, something that would not have happened if Cotch was in there.
that sums it up, he sets the tone. Best captain in the comp when he is on.
Which is my argument for finals.

Imagine having the trent as your son in law, no bad boy image, 2 captain x premiership, brownlow, three kids, family man etc

I can only imagine Trent still has to prove To his father in law he is worthy for his daughter to this day..
trent did go through his trying to be tough days-were he was a filthy antagonist on field. I didn't like watching play back in that time. its only the last few years that he found himself, partly he says thanks to dusty.

Don't want him to be skipper next year. Cotch has been a great captain and will obviously be remembered that way forever. But to learn that he had to be talked out of ditching the team and going home because his wife breached restrictions and it spiralled from there (especially considering he wasn't even separated from his kids), clearly his priorities are elsewhere and I don't think he should be captain in 2021. How can he?

Don't want him to be skipper next year. Cotch has been a great captain and will obviously be remembered that way forever. But to learn that he had to be talked out of ditching the team and going home because his wife breached restrictions and it spiralled from there (especially considering he wasn't even separated from his kids), clearly his priorities are elsewhere and I don't think he should be captain in 2021. How can he?
His priorities are exactly where they need to be. Yes we as fans live and breathe football and Richmond football club, however for the players it’s a job. That’s all it is. Their priority is their families, like it should be, like any other working adult with a family.

LoL.
And you know what context the conversation was?

His priorities are exactly where they need to be. Yes we as fans live and breathe football and Richmond football club, however for the players it’s a job. That’s all it is. Their priority is their families, like it should be, like any other working adult with a family.
Agreed. Still don't think he should be skipper. The dude wanted to leave the team in the lurch and go home, not to be with his family, but because his wife was embarrassed. No good.

trent did go through his trying to be tough days-were he was a filthy antagonist on field. I didn't like watching play back in that time. its only the last few years that he found himself, partly he says thanks to dusty.
No, he wasn't. He's always been a ball player. Any niggle he gave back was a small percentage of the targeting he copped.

Agreed. Still don't think he should be skipper. The dude wanted to leave the team in the lurch and go home, not to be with his family, but because his wife was embarrassed. No good.
Like someone above said, we don’t actually know what the context of the conversation was, exactly the way it should be. Yes she was embarrassed, but I highly doubt that’s what was bothering her. The way she was treated online was disgusting, too many people think they have the right to be rude and disgusting to people online just because it’s not face to face.

Either way I do agree with you that he probably won’t be captain next year but it won’t be because of the events of this year it’ll probably be because Trent thinks someone else should take over since he’s probably only got a year or two left and it’s the type of guy he is.

Perhaps watch Dimma's presser.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back